The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old November 17, 2012, 01:28 PM   #1
fallingrock71

SR9C brushed stainless or black nitride?

I've decided to buy a SR9C for cc. I've never really liked the idea of having a shiny defensive handgun. However, I really like the looks of the brushed stainless finish on the SR9C. I would very much like to hear your pro's/cons of these two finishes on this particular handgun. Either one more durable or easier to maintain? Is it more or less just a personal preference? Just want more minds to bounce this off of before I decide. Thanks much!
Old November 17, 2012, 03:16 PM   #2
Mercenary

I don't have any experience with stainless slides but on my black (blued) guns the finish begins to show signs of holster wear over time. The FS M&P 9 and my Shield show it bad but my G17 seems to hold up a little better. I can't help but think a stainless slide wouldn't really show wear but I could be wrong. I vote stainless!
Old November 17, 2012, 03:52 PM   #3
Seaman

"I've never really liked the idea of having a shiny defensive handgun."

Smart.

Recall a car-jacking in Houston. Driver was shot dead. After the perp was caught police asked perp why he shot the driver. Perp said he saw a flash and blasted away. Driver was pulling a bright, shiny semi-auto pistol.

Shiny guns are OK for collecting or for the range. For CCW duty a handgun should be blued/black.

I have a couple of shiny (stainless steel) carry guns. Took a spray can of Rustoleum and painted them flat black. The only time an assailant should see a CC handgun is when the muzzle is smokin.

My life is worth a can of spray paint. So is yours.

Check your 6.
Old November 17, 2012, 10:07 PM   #4
Red Dog

Stainless steel revolvers have been used for years as self defense pistols. But to each his own.
Old November 17, 2012, 11:52 PM   #5
cheezhed

I have the stainless finish and like it. I do not know if a stainless finish will get you shot any faster than a blued gun as I think that in some instances the bad
guys enjoy hurting someone and during the day a black gun may stand out as well as a bright one. I think just go with what you like the best.
Old November 18, 2012, 12:32 AM   #6
TennJed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seaman View Post
"I've never really liked the idea of having a shiny defensive handgun."

Smart.

Recall a car-jacking in Houston. Driver was shot dead. After the perp was caught police asked perp why he shot the driver. Perp said he saw a flash and blasted away. Driver was pulling a bright, shiny semi-auto pistol.

Shiny guns are OK for collecting or for the range. For CCW duty a handgun should be blued/black.

I have a couple of shiny (stainless steel) carry guns. Took a spray can of Rustoleum and painted them flat black. The only time an assailant should see a CC handgun is when the muzzle is smokin.

My life is worth a can of spray paint. So is yours.

Check your 6.
Not sure that example would have turned out any different with a black gun. I wonder if the "motion" of drawing the weapon had anything to do with it
Old November 18, 2012, 06:58 AM   #7
K_Mac

I have the all black version. I bought it not long after they came out and it still looks new after being in and out of a holster many times. I am not sure whether black, brown, green, pink, stainless, etc make any difference in a SD situation though. Either way is a good choice in my opinion. Enjoy!
Old November 18, 2012, 09:32 AM   #8
wbw

I'm partial to two-tone guns. I love my SR9c. Whether or not 'shiny' is a problem, who knows? Mine would be hidden until needed.
Old November 18, 2012, 10:18 AM   #9
915A

Love my two tone!
Old November 18, 2012, 08:00 PM   #10
Dragline45

I have the two tone SR9C but if I could have done it over I would have gone with the blued/black. At the time, I got it because stainless is easier to maintain but two tone just never really grew on me, especially with polymer framed pistols.
Old November 18, 2012, 10:15 PM   #11
Meditator

I have both and like both.
Old November 18, 2012, 11:54 PM   #12
breakingcontact

Black.
Old November 19, 2012, 01:06 AM   #13
Johnnymurad

I carry the black one all the time. Everything I buy is Ruger and blued...
Old November 19, 2012, 02:19 PM   #14
tahunua001

I've never been a fan of 2 tones except for black over OD. I always felt that stainless was a bit too flashy but when I went in to buy my concealed carry guns I walked out with a stainless SR9C. I've never had problems with mine since I pulled the mag disconnect so I wouldn't hesitate to recommend the stainless model. still might prefer a black model just because it's less flashy.
Old November 19, 2012, 03:15 PM   #15
ScotchMan

I chose the stainless and it was my carry gun for 6 months or so. I had no issues related to the finish, and the stainless grew on me. Now I think the black is ugly.

I think it makes little to no difference. The stainless might stand up to sweat better.

NRA Instructor
NRA Member
Old November 19, 2012, 04:14 PM   #16
Xfire68

I have the 2 tone and wish I bought the black version. The black version is stainless with a coating or treatment.
Old November 19, 2012, 04:26 PM   #17
Roland Thunder

I don't have a SR9c, I have a Kahr PM9 in 2 tone. If I had it to do over, I would have gotten an all black one but they didn't have one at the time.

If I were getting an SR9c, I would choose the all black one, just better looking in my view.
Old November 19, 2012, 05:06 PM   #18
breakingcontact

Why do the Ruger SR pistols that are blued look so different than most blued?
Old November 19, 2012, 05:55 PM   #19
fallingrock71

Thanks for all the input! I went to my favorite gun store today and the pretty young lady made up my mind for me. They had three of the black but no stainless. I got a little bit off because they didn't have a stainless in stock for me to fondle. I had pretty much decided on the black nitride anyways, but of course they didn't need to know that. Thanks again. I very much look forward to this one.
Old November 19, 2012, 08:11 PM   #20
stantheman1976

When I ordered mine I thought I was ordering the stainless but found out I had ordered the black by mistake. Turns out I actually it better. It blends in better for CC IMO.
Old November 20, 2012, 04:03 PM   #21
zombietactics

Quote:
... Stainless steel revolvers have been used for years as self defense pistols. ...
Some people still ride horses as their primary form of transportation, but that's hardly a great argument for something being especially good.