The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old September 6, 2013, 06:41 PM   #1
Bill Akins

Picked up this Remy mod 11 sportsman, while looking for a Win mod 50.

While searching for a Winchester model 50 shotgun (for a water cooled, crank fire project I want to use that particular shotgun for), I ran across and won this great deal on Gunbroker on a Remington sportsman model 11 for the really good price of $151.00, with shipping only being $14.00, for a grand total including shipping of $165.99 I thought it was a really good deal.

All I need to do on the Remy is a bit of buffing on the barrel and receiver and then reblue it, then put some epoxy in the crack on the fore stock, clamp it and wipe off the excess. Still looking for that good deal on the Win mod 50, but in the meantime, I couldn't resist this good deal on the Remy, which is a pretty close copy to the Browning auto 5.

The Remy hasn't arrived at my dealer's yet, but here's some pics of it from the Gunbroker auction, along with a drawing that shows how to set the friction rings for different loadings.....

Crack that is easy to repair.

Bit of buffing and rebluing needed on the barrel and receiver. No problem, minimal work to achieve.

Drawing to illustrate how to set the friction rings for different loadings.

It is always amazing to me how if a firearm has a little rust on the barrel or receiver, many people won't bid on it. Good for me because then I can get a good deal and with just a little bit of time and labor buffing and rebluing, it can be almost as good as new.

I also know I can use a Remy 870 or 1100 tube extension on it (threads match up) and by just making a spacer between the tube and the receiver so it will fit correctly, in that way I can increase my shell capacity to 4, 6, 7, or even as high as 10, (10 being my choice).

Now to keep searching to find a good deal on a Winchester model 50 so I can start my project. This was just a good "serendipity" find.

"This is my Remy and this is my Colt. Remy loads easy and topstrap strong, Colt balances better and never feels wrong. A repro black powder revolver gun, they smoke and shoot lead and give me much fun. I can't figure out which one I like better, they're both fine revolvers that fit in my leather".
"To be sure of hitting the target, shoot first and call whatever you hit the target".

Last edited by Bill Akins; September 6, 2013 at 07:01 PM.
Old September 9, 2013, 11:30 AM   #2
Fishbed77

Looks just like my late grandfather's circa 1948 Model 11 (that my brother just took dove hunting this past weekend). That gun has no doubt taken thousands of game animals in its lifetime.

The forearm of that particular gun was split in a similar fashion when it was passed down (as was the stock). The forearm had to be replaced entirely (and the stock was replaced to match). If I recall correctly, the reason was because of the tolerances required by the Auto-5/Model 11.

Not to say yours can't be easily repaired, but a little research may be in order. I am sure there are many hear more knowledgeable on the subject than I.