The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Competition Shooting

Old July 11, 2010, 02:11 PM   #1
Boomer8404

Im thinking of getting into IPSC

Im thinking of getting into IPSC over at the FT. Bliss Rod & Gun Club over at FT. Bliss, TX. My weapon choice will be a G22 gen2 pistola. I've been plinking for years, so from a competition stand point, Im a solid noober. Is there a beginner class, what are some recommended and some acceptable mods I should/could do to my pistol? Is there a certain regulation regulated holster? Thanks for any input. Happy Shootin.
Old July 11, 2010, 04:04 PM   #2
g.willikers

To answer questions about equipment, download the rule book from USPSA.org, assuming the place you will shoot the matches is following US rules.
If they are following IPSC international rules, then go to that web site.
(Can't remember it, right now, but it googles easily).

As for learning how and what to do, that requires training to be safe with holster draws, reloading on the clock and moving with a loaded gun.
If you are comfortable doing this, just go to a match and let them know it's your first.
Most clubs will squad you with someone experienced in being with new folks.

If the above is uncomfortable or intimidating, there are other similar type matches that don't require movement during the course of fire or reloading on the clock.
NRA Action Pistol and Steel Challenge come to mind.
They are both excellent places to start, if there are any in your area.

Either way, enjoy yourself, be safe, have fun and learn.
Oh yes, bring lots of ammo.

Last edited by g.willikers; July 11, 2010 at 04:11 PM.
Old July 11, 2010, 05:41 PM   #3
Boomer8404

Thanks for the tips g.willikers, I am comfortable with reloading on the move, just so happens that I have had a little experience with that and shooting on the move, thanks to a lovely year vacation in Iraq with the Army.
Old July 12, 2010, 10:29 AM   #4
g.willikers

With your experience, all you need is the rule book to figure out the game that's played and the rules for it.
But you will undoubtedly notice the very unrealistic way uspsa / ipsc games are conducted.
There is no assumption that the targets represent any danger.
It's all about who can hit the targets the fastest, with no thought of self preservation.
You might find IDPA somewhat more realistic.
But either one will definitely sharpen up anyone's shooting.
And they are both a lot of fun.
Check out the brianenos.com forums, also, for lots of good info.
Old July 12, 2010, 12:53 PM   #5
motorep

Contact the club you're going to shoot at, or check out their website for contact info. All the clubs in our section have an "Intro to IPSC" safety/orientation class which is intended to educate new competitors to the unique safety requirements, rules, etc. They're generally offered the morning of the match. Your local club may have something different. For a holster you need one that competely covers the trigger guard and will hold your pistol securely. You'll need some mag pouches that will hold your mags securely while you're moving/running. 4 or 5 spare mags, eye and ear protection. Enjoy yourself.
Old July 12, 2010, 01:27 PM   #6
ice9_us

tip

change your trigger..
change your trigger..
oh yea did i suggest changing the trigger...

unless you have the light trigger on your gun...

not sure if your shooting limited/limited 10/production or what..
but a little round thing at the bottom of your mag well really helps get the clips into the gun easier... heavy gun rail.. and lighter spring...
i would even suggest you look at the new gen4 stuff and put that in your gen2.. the spring is different making the g22 recoil less.. from what i have read.. i have not shot a gen4 ..

thanks for your time in Iraq... your going to love shooting the matches..
i sure do... I am looking for a g22 myself
Old July 25, 2010, 04:39 AM   #7
AzShooter

Go to your first match. There will probably be a newcomer's briefing to answer most of your questions.

The Match Director will normally pair you up with an experienced shooter to help you along the first night.

Have fun. Don't try to go as fast as the fastest guys. Try to make all your hits in the A-zone. If you hit all A's you will beat most of the guys that are doing the old spray and pray mode.

Good luck.
Old August 22, 2010, 09:24 PM   #8
Jesse Tischauser

+1 on going to a match. If you are comfortable with your gun you will do fine. Welcome to the fun!