The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Semi-automatics

Old December 8, 2012, 04:44 PM   #1
bfskinnerpunk

just ordered a Daniel Defense V3

Waiting for it's arrival.

I need some information about ammo. My understanding is that this, like many others, can eat any 556 ammo. I'd like to buy at least 500 rounds of pretty darn decent ammo....maybe whatever the military uses for defensive use, and then also some plinking ammo.

Any recommendations?
Old December 8, 2012, 04:59 PM   #2
Fishbed77

Buy some bulk M193 or M855.
Old December 8, 2012, 05:12 PM   #3
BillyJack3

Second that. XM 193 is about all I shoot. Federal or American Eagle .223 if it happens to be on the shelf at Walmart. Congrats on a great rifle.
Old December 8, 2012, 05:29 PM   #4
allaroundhunter

What the military uses is not ideal defensive ammo. If you want good defensive ammo, get some Hornady TAP rounds.

For plinking and fun, use M193 ball ammo.
Old December 8, 2012, 06:47 PM   #5
bfskinnerpunk

So far, I have ordered 1800 rounds of 62 grain SS109 M855 "penetrator" rounds that come in sealed packs in ammo cans.

"Manufactured in 2010 to strict NATO military specifications for the DAMC (Danish Army Material Command) and carries the AMA headstamp with the NATO cross. .... snip..... bright, pristine condition... there is no patina or tarnish."

This will have to do for my "pretty darn good" stuff. Not match grade, but not dirty shoot'n steel stuff, either.

I'll be on the hunt for lesser grade ammo, now.
Old December 8, 2012, 07:03 PM   #6
allaroundhunter

Quote:
I'll be on the hunt for lesser grade ammo, now.
If you live in a typical house or apartment you want "higher grade" ammo for defense.

For plinking, what you have and some "lower grade" 55 gr ball ammo would work fine.
Old December 8, 2012, 07:13 PM   #7
bfskinnerpunk

Thanks. I will take a look at the Hornady, but probably won't want to buy such large quantities of it.

So, what are the properties of "home defense" ammo that distinguishes it from official military stuff?
Old December 8, 2012, 08:22 PM   #8
bfskinnerpunk

Here is a link to some TAP that appears to be in stock:
http://www.sgammo.com/product/hornad...ic-tip-223-556

Probably comes to around .90 cents a bullet with shipping.

Is this the good (great) stuff?
Old December 8, 2012, 09:02 PM   #9
Uncle Malice

I've run thousands of rounds of both 193 and 855 through my V2. It performs beautifully with it all and can easily do sub-MOA groups.

The only ammo I've had any issues with in my DD is Wolf. This is because DD doesn't over gas their rifles. A lot of manufacturers use larger gas tubes to function with lower quality ammo. I found Wolf causes my V2 to short stroke a few times per mag.

With anything else it runs 100% perfectly.

Enjoy the gun. It's a hell of a nice weapon.
Old December 8, 2012, 10:38 PM   #10
allaroundhunter

Yes, bfskinnerpunk, that is good defensive ammo.

What sets it apart from military ammo is that the military is required to use ball ammo. Believe it or not, police forces do not use anything like what the military does when it comes to outfitting officers with ammunition.

Ball ammo is most definitely not preferred defensive ammo because it tends to pass through your target rather than expend the majority of its energy inside of the threat.

The TAP ammo is designed to limit over penetration so that a round will not go through an assailant or if a round misses its target it will not continue on through multiple walls. The VMax round loaded in that hornady ammo will create a devastating wound and will end a threat rather quickly if you ever have to use it.

(And you don't need more than 60 rounds on hand at any one time)
Old December 9, 2012, 07:51 AM   #11
bfskinnerpunk

Thanks again. I'll use 60 as a minimum.

I toggle back and forth between being an AK guy and an AR guy. The availability and accessories for AKs can be a little fatiguing although I love the reliability and the tolerance for user neglect.

I'm going to try to the AR world, now. Most would say that I have probably over-bought with this Daniel Defense for such a newbie, but from my survey of the firearm landscape, it (like Bravo) is routinely sold out in most outlets..... so if I ever decide to let it go, I'll have no problem moving it if I'm willing to take a minor loss.

DPMS, CMMG, and the usual seem to be available all the time everywhere....so there is a bit more competition when attempting to sell.

I do have a small bit of SHTF vibe, so ammo is nice to have (even if you don't have a gun to shoot it!).
Old December 9, 2012, 09:53 AM   #12
allaroundhunter

Quote:
I'm going to try to the AR world, now. Most would say that I have probably over-bought with this Daniel Defense for such a newbie, but from my survey of the firearm landscape, it (like Bravo) is routinely sold out in most outlets..... so if I ever decide to let it go, I'll have no problem moving it if I'm willing to take a minor loss.
I wouldn't say that you bought more than you can handle by any means, but you did buy quality. If you ever do have/want to sell it, you are correct in thinking that you won't have much a problem getting rid of it, and you would most likely not take much of a loss if any.

The last thing that I will add is that if you shoot steel, you will not want to use the M855 ammo that you bought as it is a steel nosed "penetrator" round. It won't penetrate some grades of steel, but it will still leave a divot in most of them (which makes them less safe).
Old December 9, 2012, 03:34 PM   #13
Quentin2

Quote:
I wouldn't say that you bought more than you can handle by any means, but you did buy quality. If you ever do have/want to sell it, you are correct in thinking that you won't have much a problem getting rid of it, and you would most likely not take much of a loss if any.

The last thing that I will add is that if you shoot steel, you will not want to use the M855 ammo that you bought as it is a steel nosed "penetrator" round. It won't penetrate some grades of steel, but it will still leave a divot in most of them (which makes them less safe).

Both excellent points, Daniel Defense was an excellent choice and M855 isn't recommended on steel targets.
Old December 12, 2012, 12:18 AM   #14
Doublea A

Daniel Defense is a quality AR as I have been enjoying my V3 (LW) for about a year now. I use Remington Federal American Eagle, PMC, Winchester white box for target practice and for defense rounds I use Hornady Tap 55 grain, I have also shot Hornady super performance match 75gr through it. So far zero malfunctions.

You will enjoy this AR so much that you will order another 1800 rounds in a month.
Old December 12, 2012, 12:20 AM   #15
Doublea A

Daniel Defense is a quality AR as I have been enjoying my V3 (LW) for about a year now. I use Remington Federal American Eagle, PMC, Winchester white box for target practice and for defense rounds I use Hornady Tap 55 grain, I have also shot Hornady superformance match 75gr through it. So far zero malfunctions.

You will enjoy this AR so much that you will order another 1800 rounds in a month.