The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Semi-automatics

Old October 10, 2012, 03:57 PM   #1
Highlander1

Best Quality .223 Bulk Ammo?

I apoloogize, up front, if this gets asked a lot, but I tried searching here for this but didn't come up with much. A friend and I are about to receive our new AR15's (identical guns) soon. While we will try some premium stuff to sight them in and experiment, we will be needing some bulk ammo to do some lengthy sessions with.

I'd like to stick with well made, good, clean stuff that shoots well. Here are a few things I've been looking at, which I would appreciate your thoughts on, and, of course, I'm open to any suggestions. Thanks in advance for your help.

http://www.cabelas.com/product/Shoot...3Bcat106633080

Old October 10, 2012, 04:58 PM   #2
UtopiaTexasG19

Before you buy be sure to compare current prices with the better known sources to see if anyone has what you want at the lowest price. Sometimes a discount coupon or no sales tax makes a considerable difference.
Midway USA
Mid South
Natchez Shooters Supply
Cheaper Than Dirt
Brownells
Ammo Man
Wideners
AIM Surplus
Dan's Ammo
Sportsman's Guide
Old October 10, 2012, 05:29 PM   #3
moxie

This is a good deal:
http://www.natchezss.com/product.cfm...3A&src=tpSlrHm
And here:
http://wideners.com/itemdetail.cfm?i...dir=18|830|845

USAF Munitions 1969-1992
RVN 1972-1973
Old October 10, 2012, 05:58 PM   #4
Metal god

Those are some good prices . I will be considering getting some of that Fed AR223

I get almost all my bulk ammo here http://www.targetsportsusa.com/ They have free shipping on all bulk ammo . They carry alot of different ammo brands in every cal. They are also out of stock offten on the lower cost ammo but they restock weekly so you have to keep checking back .

I first check prices low to high check out the first few pages then check prices high to low .They will have some other bulk stuff you may not see on the lower price pages .

I almost always write my posts regardless of content in a jovial manor and intent . If that's not how you took it , please try again .

Last edited by Metal god; October 10, 2012 at 06:09 PM.
Old October 11, 2012, 01:17 AM   #5
Bamashooter

The best I can get locally is either PMC Bronze ot PMC Tac-X and American Eagle. I like the PMC brass for reloading better the federal is ok. My 5.56's love the Tac-X ammo. I think its a little more accurate that the Bronze.

If we're talking quality bulk handloads, I got them too.
Old October 11, 2012, 09:17 AM   #6
p loader

Don't forget Bulkammo.com, luckygunner.com

Like others have said shop around and factor in prices with shipping. I have had good results shooting all of the "popular" stuff, i.e. PMC, Federal, Lake City, and even Prvi Partisan. I bought a case of 1k Aguilla and didn't like it compared to the others. Quite a few dented cases, a handful of misfires, and accuracy was not that great compared to other brands. I thought I was having issues with my optic when trying to zero it (Aimpoint), and then switched from Aguilla to Federal and had it zeroed in two groups of 3.
Old October 13, 2012, 06:51 PM   #7
DasGuy

freedommunitions.com
Old October 13, 2012, 07:03 PM   #8
kilimanjaro

sgammo.com
ammoengine.com
Old October 14, 2012, 06:23 AM   #9
madcratebuilder

My reloads are under .20 a round with free labor. Lake City M193 5.56 is .30 a round and LC M855 is about .40 a round. LC M193 shoots very well in everything I own and I don't have to worry about squibs or misfires. It's the only stuff I shoot other than my own reloads.

I used to shoot about anything I could get, .223 and civilian 5.56. The .223 can be under powered and give you problems, some cheap ammo is incredibly dirty. It's not worth it to me anymore. My range time is valuable and I don't want to waste it with poor ammo.
Old October 14, 2012, 08:48 AM   #10
wnycollector

Myself and two buddies split a thousand rounds of Freedom munitions M-855 reloads. We put the full case through 10 different AR's with zero issues. For $305/1000 I will be buying more.
Old October 14, 2012, 08:56 AM   #11
Beretta686

Buying bulk ammo is always a bit of a moving target since various vendors have differenct prices and inventories at different times.

I don't think anyone has mention it yet, but I've had good luck with ammoman.com.

I know this will probably get me flamed, but I've shot thousands of rounds of Wolf 5.56 through the various uppers I have and have never had any trouble. So don't overlook them despite what people on the internet may say.

On the other hand I've had nothing but trouble from Tula rifle ammo.

When fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross.”