The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old May 14, 2012, 06:52 PM   #1
ridonculous

Newbie looking for Lee Turret Press

Hi Everyone,

I've been thinking about reloading and doing research for a few months now and I think I'm ready to commit to this addictive and fun hobby.

I'm going to start loading 9mm and .45 ACP, but eventually I'd like to also load .223. After doing all the research and reading the Lyman guide, I've concluded that I want to start reloading with the Lee Turret Press.

Does anyone know of a good online vendor to purchase the Lee Turret Press as a kit? Like many reloaders, I'm on a very tight budget and would like to save every dollar I can when ordering. I've even been hunting on Craigslist and Backpage for used equipment, but I haven't had much luck. I've seen the following kit available from Midway for $215: http://www.midwayusa.com/product/785...dex-deluxe-kit

Are there any other well known vendors online that can beat their price for an identical (or better) kit?

Your help is much appreciated.
Old May 14, 2012, 07:33 PM   #2
E Rick

Try natchez, they seem to have good prices.
Old May 14, 2012, 07:54 PM   #3
Brian Pfleuger
Moderator Emeritus

Check Graf and Sons and Lee Factory Sales.
Old May 14, 2012, 08:07 PM   #4
joshf128

Cabela's has the same thing for $219. If you buy everything separately it is around $250-$260. This is pretty much everything you need except for a tumbler (or other brass cleaning method) and calipers. You can upgrade to a digital scale later if you feel the need.

I bought my Lee Classic Turret about a month ago and love it. I bought most of the stuff separately since I already had a scale and manual but this is a good kit.
Old May 14, 2012, 08:16 PM   #5
10Ringmagic

https://kempfgunshop.com//index.php?...mart&Itemid=41

Make sure you "upgrade" to the pro auto disc powder measure.
Old May 14, 2012, 08:35 PM   #6
dacaur

You simply CANNOT beat that deal from kempfs linked above, since it includes your first set of dies along with the press and everything else you need!
Old May 14, 2012, 08:45 PM   #7
jr05

Kempf's 100%. Great price and great service.
Old May 14, 2012, 08:55 PM   #8
Lost Sheep

Check out Kempfs

Factory Sales seems to have the best prices (on most stuff) and their customer service is sincere, but switched parts on me because they though (incorrectly) that my chosed powder measure would not work on my chosen press. I am sure they would have made it right.

Kempf's knows more about the gear and their kit includes top of the line Lee dies and does not include the manual nor scale. Many people would prefer a scale easier to use (like the RCBS/Ohaus scale). You are going to want to have several manuals. The only extras in the Kempf's kit is the plastic ammo boxes. Sue Kempf is a good person and uses that press herself and knows her stuff. They also will tell you up front if an item has to be backordered.

Kits built around the Classic Turret were rare until a few months ago and the one you linked to seems like a good price, but I have a soft spot for Kempf's, as they were the first (and for a year or more) the only retailer who put together such a kit. And reasonably priced, too.

Lost Sheep

p.s. joshf128, I can't say "I told you so" because I didn't, but if you didn't need a new scale or manual, you missed a good bet on Kempf's if you could have justified adding a caliber or another set of dies to your stable.
Quote:
Originally Posted by joshf128
I bought my Lee Classic Turret about a month ago and love it. I bought most of the stuff separately since I already had a scale and manual but this is a good kit.
Old May 14, 2012, 10:08 PM   #9
joshf128

Lost Sheep, you're advice and assistance to us new reloaders is invaluable and you can say "I told you so" all you want.

The Kempfs deal is great and if I would have ordered my equipment online that's where I would have done it. I am fortunate enough to live about 10 minutes from Cabela's and they have a great selection (if slightly overpriced) of reloading equipment. I had been in there several times and spoken at length with their reloading expert and wanted to throw them some business in return for their great customer service. I buy my components online (unless I need something RIGHT NOW) but most of my equipment has been purchased at Cabela's.
Old May 15, 2012, 11:15 AM   #10
ridonculous

Thanks for all the suggestions!

I think I'm going to purchase the kit from Kempf's.

I already have a Lyman and the ABCs of Reloading guide, so the dies and ammo boxes are of more value to me in the kit.
Old May 15, 2012, 12:46 PM   #11
mikld

As an aside; start reloading with the 45 ACP. Use tried and true loads (230 RN with a light to medium load of Bullseye, W231 or Unique). A bizillion 45 ACPs have been loaded like this and if you have any problems, you'll fnd a good answer here or your reloading manual's how-to section. When you get the hang of the 230 gr. 45 loading try a different bullet, different powders, etc. The 9mm is a bit more fussy (but still doable) and not as forgiving as the 45.
Old May 15, 2012, 12:58 PM   #12
marklyftogt

Natchez

I hardly look anywhere else. They are always cheaper...and I hope you are talking about the CLASSIC turret press. I use mine for 9mm and 38spl and it works great. Forget the autoprime (get an ergo prime) and auto powder ( use a scale) on the press. The primer on the press is tough to work with and the auto powder has too much variance for my liking.
Old May 15, 2012, 01:10 PM   #13
carprivershooter

you can't go wrong with a Lee classic turret press. I have been loading 5 or so years. I load 9mm, 40 cal. 45acp 38 cal, 357 mag, 44 sp,l 44mag 45 colt, 380 cal. and 223 rem. When I bought dies i also got a turret with the dies, you set them up once, only very minor adjustments when using them the next time. saves time. I just take the turret off the shelf put it in the press install the powder measure and fill the primers and I am loading rounds. I did replace the lee scales, and got a good set of calipers. Don't forget to get your case trimmers etc for each caliber you load for. Lee's equipment is good quality and does not brake the bank. Have fun be save.
Old May 15, 2012, 03:48 PM   #14
10Ringmagic

Quote:
Today, 12:15 PM #10
ridonculous

Thanks for all the suggestions!

I think I'm going to purchase the kit from Kempf's.

I already have a Lyman and the ABCs of Reloading guide, so the dies and ammo boxes are of more value to me in the kit.
You will not be sorry.
Old May 15, 2012, 05:08 PM   #15
CADILLAC HOOSIER

I bought that kit a few months ago, really like it. Am loading 38 spec, 357 and 40s&w. SUGGESTION--it's a bit of a bear to set up from the instructions, but youtube has some great short videos to help you get going. I'm very satisfied with mine. Good luck.
Old May 15, 2012, 08:50 PM   #16
Lost Sheep

A couple of people have mentioned the Auto-prime and Ergo prime (dedicated hand priming tools).

Before you try one of those, try priming on the press to see how you like that. I find the "feel" to be satisfactory.

The reason I suggest this is if you prime on-press you don't have to interrupt the work flow (if you are using continuous processing, not breaking up the flow is a big time saver). If you use a hand primer, having an extra remove/insert cycle slows your operation. If there is no advantage gained, then why do it?

Some people find the extra sensitivity of the hand priming tool to be something they find advantageos, so some do and some don't. I find no advantage at all to priming off-press.

Lost Sheep
Old May 15, 2012, 10:40 PM   #17
dacaur

I primed on the press till I bought my autoprime (waiting till I had an extra $25 for the autoprime and a couple shell holders).

Priming on the press is a PITA. Bear in mind I didnt have the EZprime, I just put a primer on the little lever arm each time by hand, but that wasn't that big a deal, it was having to prime on the up-stroke that really bothered me. Maybe its the way I have my press set up, but it was uncomfortable to do, I had to set my feet each time or it sometimes didnt go in all the way....

That said, I now have my autoprime and use that for everything I have a shellholder for. I DO waste some primers when the go in sideways, so thats a little annoying, but other than that, I really like the autopime much better. I kinda wish I had gotten an ergoprime, because the autoprime is definitely a two handed operation, or maybe I jsut have weak thumbs....
Old May 15, 2012, 11:40 PM   #18
Lost Sheep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dacaur
it was having to prime on the up-stroke that really bothered me.
I hear you. all the orgonomics were wrong. So I adjusted my operating handle so that, at the position of primer seating, it was close enough to the vertical post that I could wrap my fingers around it and have the heel of my hand pushing on the operating handle. I can feel the tiniest bit of movement and resistance as the primer seats.

It works very well for me. My shooting buddy, though, does batch processing and really likes the hand primer.

Each to their own.

Lost Sheep
Old May 15, 2012, 11:57 PM   #19
dacaur

Now that I have my autoprime, I have a big tupperware container filled with sized and primed 9mm brass. The hope is to someday have a bunch of those filled, but finances dictate I can only buy about 500-1K primers a month, (plus finding the brass when I go shooting, right now I have more primers than brass). From there its into the turret to finish each round complete....

Actually, its kinda nice that way, less time in front of the press, overall and at once.... I will sit and deprime/size a few hundred fresh tumbled cases at a time, those go into one container, then later when watching TV I will use the autoprime to prime them and put them into the other container, then when I load them I only have 3 quick stations (expand/charge, seat, crimp) and each round is done... before it was deprime/size, prime, expand/charge, seat, crimp.... I just cycle the press to skip station # 4 as I am putting the completed round in the tray and reaching for the next case.... I just leisurely pumped out 100 rounds in about 30 min, but for the first 50 my 3 year old was "helping" me so.....
Old May 16, 2012, 05:20 AM   #20
10Ringmagic

I prime on the LCT without problems. As lost Sheep points out, you do not interrupt the work flow this way.
Old May 17, 2012, 08:16 AM   #21
MADISON

Lee Turret Press kit

Go to E-bay and punch in "reloading"
After going through the large number of products
available you will wonder why there are so many
LEE products...
Old May 17, 2012, 06:10 PM   #22
dacaur

probably the same reason you see so many toyota camerys for sale... So many more than other brands are sold new, that of course the used market will be bigger.... Ask a tow truck driver what car he tows the most, and the answer will never be the most unreliable model, it will be the most popular....
Old May 17, 2012, 07:26 PM   #23
10Ringmagic

Here, here!

Cheers!