The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old May 6, 2007, 07:40 AM   #1
prime8

Blind vs Tree?

I bought a ground blind a few months ago for turkey season. Ive packed that thing into the woods, every time Ive gone hunting this season. With that said, Its a HUGE pain in the arse to carry that much garbage. Did the Marine Corps thing years ago, and dont want to relive it every time I want to hunt. So whats your oppinion? Mine has been very effective for coyotes, but Ive still yet to kill a turkey out of it..
Old May 6, 2007, 11:41 AM   #2
Art Eatman
Staff in Memoriam

I don't profess to be an expert turkey hunter, okay?

Turkeys are reported to have the best memory of any critter insofar as anything being different from what the countryside looked like, the day before. "That stump wasn't there, yesterday. Therefore, it shouldn't be there, today, and I'm outta here." Exeunt Mr. Gobbler.

As near as I can tell, wearing camoflage and getting in behind some brush or tallish weeds/grass and then being very, very still is about as good as it gets.

And having some idea of where the turkeys roost and where they feed and the connecting routes in between...

Art
Old May 6, 2007, 12:14 PM   #3
buck460XVR

I myself don't like the "tent" type blinds for turkeys cause they tend to muffle or shut out faint and subtle turkey sounds which can influence success. In strong wind they produce their own sounds which magnifies the effect. In cases of a young hunter that has a hard time sittin' still, or the bow hunter that needs the concealment for drawing back, or to stay dry in a pouring rain, they can be a necessary item. I've found that a reasonable amount of camouflage, good cover behind you to break-up your outline, and a minimal amount of movement works the best for me. I do make ground blinds out of the natural materials in the area to blend in, but most of the time a good size tree or a bush is enough....as long as I sit still. I have even taken turkeys in the middle of a alfalfa field with only a back prop to lean against at times when they would fly off the roost to the middle of the field and not respond to calls to bring them closer to cover. My most important item is a good comfortable seat to sit on....you can't sit still when your azz is sore....and when ol' Tom is out in front of you at 60 yards and lookin hard, you can't be moving around to get comfortable.

..........this is from Wednesday morning.
Old May 6, 2007, 01:17 PM   #4
lockedcj7

I don't like the fold-up blinds either. I've tried just about every style there is. I hunt the same places year after year so I took a shovel and transplanted some small holly bushes around the trees that I know I'll be leaning against. I also arranged dead wood around them a couple of weeks before the season opens. That way, the birds are used to it by the time I get there. No matter whether spring is early or late, the hollies will be green and provide some concealment. All I do now is take a pair of pruning shears to cut them back each spring.
Old May 6, 2007, 08:56 PM   #5
intruder

In Pa blinds have been legal for a couple of years for turkey. I bought a dog house blind. I used it the first season it was legal. I had a bird coming at about 80 yards he bolted. I don't know if the blind spooked him or something else. All I know is I got a nice gobbler two weeks after with my back to a nice big oak. haven't used a blind since. Sometimes you have to move when turkey hunting I don't want the hassle of taking down a blind and lugging with me. I have my best sucess with my back to a tree and staying still.
Old May 7, 2007, 03:22 PM   #6
Desertfox

IMO blinds have there place in hunting. Turkey obviously notice things that other game may dismiss.
For other game, blinds work wonders if used properly.

Tons of factors to consider. How far you have to lug the blind. What terrain you are hunting. Can you leave the blind overnight or for a few days. Weather is a nice factor to consider. A good blind will keep you hunting in the rain and cold longer.

I use a T-5 Doublebull for some scenario's while hunting whitetail. I always decorate the blind so it is camo'ed up good and blends in. I can sit in a chair and relax, scratch where it itches and bring my bow or gun up for a shot without worry about being seen moving.

I can take a novice hunter or kid with me and they can squirm around and not spook game.

Let me just say for the record, I prefer hunting whitetail while up in a tree stand. In west and south Texas, 'up in a tree' in some places is only 4 feet off the ground. A ground blind is the way to go.

Check the photo of my 'decorated' T-5 around Austin County, ,TX. last fall.

http://groups.msn.com/_Secure/0UgDOD...97412152275578

This blind is approx 6' X 6' X 5.5'

I had deer within 5 feet of the blind walking down a scendaro and had no idea that I was there. I took a doe last day. No big bucks to be seen.
Old May 7, 2007, 04:18 PM   #7
FirstFreedom

I've had enough success with blinds, for turkeys, and just sitting in a chair on the ground without a blind, for deer (or for that matter, just sitting on the ground without a chair), that I've determined tree stands are definitely a luxury, not a necessity. So I won't screw with stands that aren't large & comfortable, like 2-man buddy stands and such.

Funny that Art says turkeys are the best at figuring out "something ain't right".... Art, that may be correct, but I had been under the working assumption that deer were much better at that than turkeys, since I've shot turkeys on several occasions from my blind that wasn't even covered up in any way with sticks and such. I just don't know - may depend on the area - it may be that deer scent me a lot, and I get it in my head that it "must be" the fact that they saw the blind, because I thought I controlled my scent, yada yada. But then again, I've taken one deer from a blind that was just out in the open, uncovered - young dumb doe however.
Old May 7, 2007, 09:54 PM   #8
geez768

ive had good luck from blinds on deer, but ive had just as much luck sitting on the ground next to a tree. just cant move as much
Old May 8, 2007, 05:49 PM   #9
john1911

I use a blind for deer hunting when I take one of the younguns along. I put it out a couple weeks early to give the deer time to get used to it.
Old May 8, 2007, 06:03 PM   #10
FirstFreedom

Well yeah, you can always do that (put it up a couple-3 weeks early).

What I'm getting it is, I had *thought* that, if you put it up the night before, and it's in the open without being disguised with limbs and such, then there's an 80% chance the deer will notice it and steer clear, but only a 5% chance the turkeys will notice it and steer clear. That's what I had surmised from my experience, but I could be wrong. Seems to me that turkeys are ONLY concerned with movement; but that deer are far more perceptive. But what Art says contradicts that so I dunno....