The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old August 4, 2013, 11:16 PM   #1
skizzums

ooops

so i was giong to order my sizing dies and first i wanted to get my barrels slugged. now, let me say beforehand that i know to only do this with a wooden dowel or something plastic so to not scratch my barrel, but i didn't. so i grabbed a few of my 9mm barrels and i used a flathead screwdriver and just tried to keep it aligned on the back of the bullet, but i didn't. i have about a 3/4 inch long and deep enough to notice scratch in the rifling of the barrel. starts about 1/2 inch into the barrel and stops. i know i'm a dumb@#$, i don't need a lecture, but is there anything i can do? should i even worry about it?

p.s. i switched to a phillips head............
Old August 4, 2013, 11:45 PM   #2
Valerko

I dunno
I'd say go out and try it. Worst thing I can see , it's gonna suffer in accuracy.
Old August 5, 2013, 11:42 AM   #3
SpareMag

What is "slugging" ?
Old August 5, 2013, 01:13 PM   #4
iamdb

Ugh. Thinking about that makes me queezy... Not much you can do about it. Shoot it to see how accuracy was affected. You may need a new barrel, you will definitely have to work harder to keep the gouge free of lead and copper deposits. Sorry about your luck. Rule #5: Always use the right tool for the job.

Slugging is a method to check the inside diameter size of your bore.
John 20:29 Jesus said to him, “Thomas, because you have seen Me, you have believed. Blessed are those who have not seen and yet have believed.”
Old August 5, 2013, 01:22 PM   #5
James K
Member In Memoriam

Like the first scratch on a new car. What's done is done, it won't cause any problems, and after while you will forget all about it.

Jim
Old August 5, 2013, 01:28 PM   #6
DaleA

It's incredible the amount of information online. You can go to Youtube put in 'slugging a pistol barrel' and get videos on what it is and how to do it.

Here's just one but there are many out there.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KuNoo4m6jso
Old August 7, 2013, 01:39 PM   #7
EveryCaliber

Ouch! I hope it shoots straight after that injury. Let us know how it functions.
Old August 7, 2013, 03:47 PM   #8
BigJimP

If the accuracy suffers....or it just aggravates you ......buying a new barrel is not the end of the world...
Old August 7, 2013, 03:57 PM   #9
Aguila Blanca
Staff

Fortunately, we are in the Semi-Automatic handguns forum and not the High Power Rifle Competition forum. I doubt you'll see the effect at typical handgun shooting distances, unless you're a competitive bullseye shooter -- in which case you wouldn't be shooting 9mm anyway.

Shoot it and see how it goes. As noted, if there is a serious deterioration in accuracy, barrels can be bought for most any semi-auto handgun people are likely to be shooting.
Old August 7, 2013, 04:04 PM   #10
Strafer Gott

There's all kinds of scratches. Shoot some jacketed bullets and iron it back out. Only the high spots matter. If it doesn't affect accuracy, don't tell a soul.
The problem with experience is you get the test first, then the lesson.
Old August 7, 2013, 04:14 PM   #11
Erno86

You might want to smooth the scratch out with a cloth patch that has JB Bore Bright on it. Send the cloth patched rod through the muzzle, so as in order to not over polish the chamber with JB paste.

A brass rod might be better for slugging; along with a rubber mallet --- that is --- if a wooden dowel may not work.

--- George Orwell

Last edited by Erno86; August 7, 2013 at 04:21 PM.
Old August 9, 2013, 05:33 PM   #12
skizzums

i still haven't shot it, i will test it out on monday morning and let you know if i can tell any difference. i have heard that those extremely expensive barrel lubes can fill in scratches and pits and actually bond to the metal, could be b.s. though. il let you all know on sunday. thanks for everyones input.

p.s. i doubt i'm a skilled enough shooter to really tell a difference. i wish i had done some group tests with it beofre the scratch to have something to compare it to.
Old August 10, 2013, 09:46 AM   #13
g.willikers

Shall we take bets on the results?
My bet will be that there's no problem, whatsoever.
Other than the aggravation of seeing it, every time you look down the barrel.

I once acquired a cheap 30-06 rifle that looked every bit like a truck gun.
You know, the kind that looks like it actually fell off the truck.
The barrel was atrocious, with rust pits and scratches.
The previous owner(s) must have alternated between never cleaning it, or getting completely carried away with the cleaning rod.
But it didn't know how ugly it was and, surprisingly, turned out to be quite the shooter.
Old August 24, 2013, 04:37 PM   #14
skizzums

well, i don't know who's going to lose money on this. but apparently a small scratch at the base of the barrel causes BETTER shooting. you heard it hear first folks. i'll will post intriguate graphs and data later. i'll be showing a youtube vid on how to scratch your barrel just right to optimize mil-spec MOA. i have coined it "tactical barrel grazing"

p.s. if anyone still cares, it didn't make a diff. thanks