The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old August 14, 2011, 09:24 PM   #1
mkelly9779

Pierced Primers

I have a question about pierced primers. I was shooting my 44mag today and about 1 in 12 primers got pierced on the edge of it where it starts to roll down and meets the primer pocket. I am loading 200gr noslers with 21.3 grains of 2400 and winchester large pistol primers. This is directly in the middle of the load recipe from the nosler book. The book says 20.8 to 21.8 grs of 2400. The seating depth was correct on the loads I checked. They were all within acouple hundreths of 1.61"OAL that the book calls for. None of the primers appear to show signs of being over pressured. Any ideas on this?
Old August 15, 2011, 03:59 AM   #2
Shootest

Are you sure your scale is accurate? The load should be fine per my data. I would not continue shooting it till I found the problem.
Old August 15, 2011, 06:42 AM   #3
Magnum Wheel Man

you didn't say what primers you were using... are they exactly what the reciepe calls for ??? I assume the are large pistol magnum primers & not just large pistol primers...

several brands are know for having softer primer cups, so if you list the brand you are using, that might help...
Old August 15, 2011, 07:39 AM   #4
243winxb

Defective Primers

Quote:
pierced on the edge of it where it starts to roll down and meets the primer pocket.
A pierced primer is where the firing pin makes contact.You have defective primers. Not common, but it happens. When the cup is formed, dirt or something has made the cup thin in that area. The ones i had would even blow out with light cast bullet loads in 30-30 & 30-06 & max. loads in 223. It has nothing to do with pressure. Check your bolt face for pock marks. I don't think you will see any in 44 mag. Pocks are more common in higher pressure rifle loads.

Last edited by 243winxb; August 15, 2011 at 07:43 AM. Reason: added A pierced primer is where the firing pin makes contact.[/
Old August 15, 2011, 09:58 AM   #5
mkelly9779

Shootist. My scale is accurate. I have some lyman weights I use everytime I set up to load to ensure accuracy. I am also using a RCBS charge master so every round is weighed.

Magnum. I am using winchester large pistol which is what is called for. Winchester large pistol and magnum large pistol are one in the same.

243. That is exactly what I am seeing. That sucks. Should I get rid of the entire box I guess? Is this more common with any particular type of primer? I am about to quit using anything winchester. I have had problems with their brass. I bought new brass and in the next it looked like the metal had been rolled and several pieces were split.
Old August 15, 2011, 01:51 PM   #6
243winxb

WLP The lot number is CFL 448G

Quote:
Should I get rid of the entire box I guess?
Only if the gun is being damaged. You could contact Win.
Quote:
Is this more common with any particular type of primer?
No, not common. Mine was Rem. 9 1/2, and i dont remember what the small rifle was. The photo is a Federal LR from online. I did see another post where a WLP was doing the same. Here is a thread with WLP doing the same as yours, WLP lot number is CFL 448G. > http://www.thehighroad.org/showthrea...+Load%3F%3F%3F WLP is all i use in large pistol, 44mag. & 45acp, no problems in many years
Old August 17, 2011, 09:37 AM   #7
WESHOOT2

Do the primers exhibit piercing with a slightly reduced load?
If not, use that.

I use CCI350.