The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Harley Nolden Memorial Institute for Firearms Research

Old November 20, 2007, 07:06 PM   #1
roy reali

Fix Or Not

I started another thread in the General Discussion column about my first trip into a Cabela's. One part of the store that I found interesting was their "Gun Library". One gun in particular got my interest.

I have a rifle just like it. Same make, same model, same caliber, same everything. I could not believe the price on it.

The condition of my rifle is on par with their rifle as far metal, bore, and mechanics go. But their rifle's stock was in a bit better shape then mine. Here is my question.

If I get the stock of my rifle refinished, will it hurt its value? Should I leave it as is? Even if that makes my rifle's value 80 or 70 percent less I would be happy. But if I could get it to the same value i would be happier.
Old November 20, 2007, 07:10 PM   #2
Hawg

Refinishing will definitly hurt it's value. If it's not on a par in it's original condition it never will be. The only time refinishing increases value is if it's a pos to start with.
Old December 6, 2007, 10:50 PM   #3
ISC

A gentle cleaning is OK, but that's all a collecter wants to see, and some would object to that. What kind of rifle is it?
Old December 7, 2007, 11:23 AM   #4
J F Cooper

You don't say what kind of rifle you have, If it's not a collectable model, and in rough shape, then a refinish won't hurt the value..On the other hand f it's an 1873 Wincheter in 60% condition, it will lower the value..JFC