The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old January 6, 2010, 10:07 PM   #26
ZeroJunk

I just stand up and let it fly. I have had deer walk right by it and never make any indication that they even knew it was there.

Sometimes deer smell you from 75 yards away, blow their guts out and get out of town. And, sometimes they walk in your tracks and stand right under you munching on something.

Who knows.
Old January 6, 2010, 10:33 PM   #27
LateNightFlight

I don't worry about it. If I have to pee, I pee. Usually I go for distance. If there's snow on the ground, I try for art. Mix it up a little... be creative. Use your camera phone to document your skills any time your initials or a peace sign is almost perfect.

I've tried both ways... bottled relief and fully uncorked, and it doesn't seem to matter. Either the deer scent you and are reactive or they're not, pee or no pee. I've watched deer move into my "cone of scent" downwind and take immediate notice, even though everything about me and my stand was pristine. Other times I've had deer bed down under the stand where I’ve used no caution at all. Go figure.

For certain, deer can be conditioned. When I put up my stands, I immediately bless the site. By the time the season opener comes around, my scent isn’t peculiar and deer that frequent the area have learned my scent is harmless. (Or so they think.)
Old January 7, 2010, 12:45 AM   #28
jdscholer

We hunt elk with bow and rifle, and have always spent a lot of time and money keeping our clothes and gear as scent free as is practical and possible.

That being said, a couple of years ago, in the middle of the night, we had a small herd of elk walk right through our camp (where a lot of pee has been pee'd) and about 20 feet from our toilet TP (deep pit latrine). Go figure.

It seems like the longer that we are camped in one spot, the less worried the animals are by us. I imagine it's the same for a stand. They get used to your smells, even urine, and just go about their business. jd
Old January 7, 2010, 12:50 AM   #29
Willie Lowman

Peeing by the stand... I would think the Judge wouldn't like that.

I don't pee where I sit. I usually go where I park my quad. I ride to within 200-300 yards of my spot.

Sitting still for five hours is a bigger challenge for me than not peeing.
Old January 7, 2010, 05:03 PM   #30
James R. Burke

I dont think it matters much, but I do take a bottle and since then have not used it. Just dont like getting in and out of the blind. Before I post up I try to just have alittle water way before I go, and most the time I wont have two.
Old January 7, 2010, 05:11 PM   #31
rantingredneck

I used to worry about this kinda stuff. Now my procedure is:

1) stand up.
2) turn to right (my pull up rope and where I lower my gun is to the left )
3) unzip
4) let fly
5) sit back down and hunt.

I kill 4 or 5 deer a year and so far none has complained about the smell of my urine.

PCCA Member (What's PCCA you ask? <- Check the link)
Old January 7, 2010, 06:52 PM   #32
rdmallory

I don't think it makes much difference. I go where ever I have to go. Never seen one act spooked smelling me or my Jeep. My dad used to laugh at me parking and walking to the stand. He would park under his stand and had a deer walk by and look in it. Dad said it was looking for the keys. It is all what they are used to seeing and smelling I guess.

Spooked more by clicking the safety off then by smell. Sound or movement will spook one for sure. Personally I don't have much faith in the attractants or smell blockers. The only thing the attractants seam to attract in hunters money.

This does not go for smoking in the stand. I can smell some one light up 1/2 mile away.

Doug
Old January 7, 2010, 07:10 PM   #33
Catfish25p2000

I pee out of my stand and kill deer every year. Not saying it isn't bad, but if I can't hold it, I do it.
Old January 7, 2010, 11:38 PM   #34
Fat White Boy

Mi problem with a Gatorade bottle is the top isn't big enough around...
Old January 8, 2010, 12:34 AM   #35
22-rimfire

Guess you need a mason jar.
Old January 8, 2010, 07:43 AM   #36
Uncle Buck

My experience has been if I am in the woods and I urinate, no big deal. The deer just walk on by (Actually, this year, now that we have a point restriction, they sauntered by, flaunting the fact their racks are too small).

If I am in a small stand of trees in a field, the deer seem to avoid getting to close to it if I have urinated anywhere near the small stand of trees.

The biggest problem I have is what to do with the cigarette butts?
Old January 9, 2010, 12:23 AM   #37
Fat White Boy

I am a legend in my own mind...
Old January 9, 2010, 07:06 AM   #38
sc928porsche

I dont hunt from trees
Old January 9, 2010, 10:21 AM   #39
N.H. Yankee

I don't worry about it, a few years back while I was archery hunting, I made the mistake of having a scrambled egg breakfast ( eggs act like draino on me ) and I climbed out of my stand and went about 80 yards ( as far as I could make it ) and the projectile evacuation began. I couldn't get away fast enough

Well I climbed back in my stand and 5 minutes later a large 8 point comes walking through the woods and right to my nuclear waste pile. He stood there checking it out for at least a full minute and left. I was surprised to say the least, if I had known that I would have done it within bow range.
Old January 9, 2010, 10:38 AM   #40
ZeroJunk

Yankee, if you had topped it off with some chili beans he may have passed out and you could have gotten him.
Old January 9, 2010, 01:18 PM   #41
Buzzard Bait

chalenge the scape

I haven't tried it but I have wondered if you were to pee in that old bucks scape if he would consider it a chalenge and react buy building more scapes and returning more often to cover your pee with his you now sort of a p-----g contest.
BB
Old February 20, 2010, 01:10 AM   #42
warbirdlover

There are some famous hunters that make a mock scrap and pee in it and it supposedly draws deer in. I took this to new levels this year. I have a nice elevated box stand with windows and roof. I have been taking a bottle to do my deed in but end up emptying it out the window so this year I bought some hose, a funnel and rigged a "urinal" up in my stand that empties on a mock scrap on the ground. Didn't scare and deer and didn't draw any in but it's the only box stand in the woods with modern conveniences. Now I'm working on the "other" issue and that's a little tougher.
Old February 20, 2010, 02:08 PM   #43
Edward429451

I dont stand hunt but I pee on all scrapes and beds. Dominant ego and I will kill them if I see them and make stir fry.
Old February 20, 2010, 07:30 PM   #44
ky hunter

Bad pee

Please tell me that when you are facing the wind you don't pee out of your stan.Because I thougt you are suppose to face the wind when you get on stan.If you do I hope you have more presure then me.

Last edited by ky hunter; February 20, 2010 at 07:31 PM. Reason: spelling
Old February 22, 2010, 08:48 PM   #45
waterfowler

Just let her fly.
Old February 22, 2010, 10:23 PM   #46
Greybeard

I've done the extremes from standing up and letting 'er fly to putting funnels in blinds with hoses running to and buried underground. Like others have said, I have still got deer every year. For some reason, lady friend who loves coffee, seems to prefer being put in one of the stands by herself with the "female friendly" funnel arrangement. Patent Pending.
Old February 22, 2010, 10:55 PM   #47
Regolith

Quote:
I dont hunt from trees
Same here. Mostly because where I hunt, there aren't any, and the power companies frown on using their poles...
Old February 22, 2010, 11:01 PM   #48
Dr. Strangelove

Wow.. talk about a zombie thread

Original post was October of 2001!

That said, I just let 'er fly as needed!
Old February 23, 2010, 10:30 PM   #49
benny7mmWSM

PAUL B.

hey i will not lie about the solid waste i once walked outta the woods -2 gloves. l0l
Old February 24, 2010, 07:45 AM   #50
Double Naught Spy

While I don't try peeing from elevation, I have peed near the stand on occasion and seemingly without harm or notice. Generally speaking, I try to stop consuming fluid at least an hour before going up and that way it isn't a problem. I am usually good for 3-4 hours.

This thread, as with others, reminds me of the near-religious beliefs people have about hunting practices and rituals with some many of them being conflicting. Do or don't go to the bathroom near the stand. Do or don't eat in the stand...smoke, wear camo, use special soap, scent cover, use a stand, etc. etc. etc.

About the only things folks agree on when it comes to hunting deer is that you should not make a lot of noise or movement, unless you are driving animals and then you want a lot of noise and movement. Beyond that, it all seems open for debate.