The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > General Discussion Forum

Old September 13, 2014, 04:43 PM   #1
GunXpatriot

Tapco SKS Magazines?

I was actually wondering whether there is a difference between "regular" Tapco 10 rounders and the "10/20" pinned mags?

The ones on MidwayUSA are advertised as 10 rounders, but they have that plastic piece over the bottom of the magazine. There are several available on Ebay, (advertised as 10/20 pinned) that don't have that plastic piece.

I don't really think there is a difference, and the length of magazine (for looks) seem to be the same. For that reason, I'd imagine that the 10's and 20's have the same "body" anyway, and the 10's are just pinned by default?

Can anyone advise me on this? Any help would be much appreciated!!
Old September 14, 2014, 07:21 AM   #2
doofus47

Hey mate,
from experience playing about with a John Mason 10 round mags I got from Midway, I"d say leave it stock. My SKS was an unstoppable machine when left stock. Loading from strippers is not an issue after a bit of practice and 10 round strippers and stripper bandoliers are still fairly cheap.

Additionally, they are very easy to drop a block into if you need to limit the stock 10 round fixed mag to 5 rounds for hunting (check with your local game office to make sure that's an okay solution before hunting, of course).

My opinion is that any upgrade to a stock SKS is a step back in functionality and performance.

Happy shooting. I loved my SKS.
Old September 14, 2014, 09:26 AM   #3
kilimanjaro

My SKS is stock, never a misfeed. Buddies with detachable magazines in various makes all have issues. All of them. Two have restored their rifle to the original fixed magazine, and regret the expense.
Old September 15, 2014, 06:51 PM   #4
Andrew Wiggin

The Tapco detachable mags are the exception that rule. I have one on my "Cowboy Companion" and it works perfectly. I treat it like a fixed magazine, though.
Old September 15, 2014, 10:44 PM   #5
chiefr

Of 2 SKSs I have fired, I never had problems with any TAPCO mag. I see my share of these often at the range I frequent. Never a feed problem. I rarely see stock factory mag SKSs any more.

I have seen problems with the firing pin locking up on the Chinese SKS. The firing pin retainer pin will gall and bind the firing pin. Disassembling the rifle and lubing the firing pin randomly will in most cases prevent this.

Tags
magazine , pinned , sks , tapco