The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old March 18, 2006, 10:21 AM   #1
Ammo Junky

No crimp on .38sp?

I am loading a 125 rem sjhp over 5.0 w231 in 38sp. Brian Enos says in one of his videos that he thinks crimping is really unnessicary with some revolver cartriges. I am going to try some over the crono and check for slipage in firing. I have tried a heavy loaded 325 rainer in 480 ruger with a taper crimp only and they did scoot a little bit by the last shot,but never far enoug to cause a problem. they grouped and chronoed the same as the 325 gold dot sp with a crimp. How many of you use a taper crimp or no crimp with lighter revolver loads? I Don't crimp semi-auto loads or any rifle loads and have never had a problem.
Old March 18, 2006, 11:59 AM   #2
Leftoverdj

It's certainly not anything I worry about much in low recoil cartridges. I set the seating die to take out the flare and maybe a hair more.
Old March 18, 2006, 04:08 PM   #3
Unclenick
Staff

I'm a big fan of taper crimps where you can get away with them. Much longer case mouth life results. I never needed more than a taper crimp in .45 ACP or .38 Special or .44 Special (despite using a light gun for this). The only two reasons to roll crimp are when you have a problem with recoil related back out or when you are using a powder like H110/296, that just won't light up well without the extra start pressure.

The taper crimp seems to do fine in tubular magazines where it is getting pushed down in that is the problem rather than backing out, but I haven't tried it with elephant loads in the 1895, so I won't swear you don't need a roll crimp there.

Nick
NRA Benefactor Member and Golden Eagle
Old March 19, 2006, 11:03 AM   #4
Ammo Junky

I shot three boxes of .38sp yesterday with no crimp and had no bullet creep or any problem. From now on I won't be crimping my .38.