The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old March 5, 2006, 01:19 AM   #1
trooper3385

Digital powder scales and dispensers

I had a question on the digital powder dispensers and scales last week and you all answered alot of them. Thanks. Now I was wondering what the difference is in the RCBS chargemaster 1500 combo and RCBS powdermaster with the digital scale that goes along with it. Is there much of a diffierence. I'm guessing that the chargemaster is a updated model. I was also looking into the Lyman 1200 DPS II. It seems like the only difference in the RCBS and the Lyman that I can gather is that the RCBS is faster. Is this a significant difference or not much at all, because there's about $70 dollars difference in the price. I know everyone has there opinion on what is best, but let me know what you all think. I don't have any experience with any of them and I can't gather to much info on any of them. What would you all suggest? Thanks
Old March 5, 2006, 04:11 AM   #2
Foxman

Ive tried both and the Lyman is now sitting on my reloading bench amd the extra $ still in my pocket, I am happy with it and the tiny difference in the speed is nothing, by the time the filled case is settled, it has weighed another charge for the next one, how fast can you go Lol.
Old March 5, 2006, 09:51 AM   #3
RERICK

chargemaster

I have the chargemaster,and I must say that I have found it to be very accurate.I can't comment as to what unit is faster because this is the only one that i have owned.I have found it to be plenty fast though.All I can say is I'm not sorry I bought it and with the lifetime warranty and the way RCBS takes care of there customers I thought it to be a better deal.

http://www.natchezss.com/brand.cfm?c...TOKEN=62954629
Old March 5, 2006, 09:57 AM   #4
steve4102

I have the Lyman 1200. It is a great unit and it has never failed me in any way. I am very happy with it.
On the other hand the RCBS has come down in price and lets face it, it's an RCBS. RCBS has the best customer service I have ever seen and their products are first rate. If I had to do it over again I would go with the RCBS. The difference in price is only $40.

http://www.midsouthshooterssupply.co...sku=0004498923
Old March 5, 2006, 08:35 PM   #5
Bob - S.C.

Have you considered the PACT dispenser and electronic scale? I find it to be a great system and quite accurate. All of my other reloading equipment is RCBS, but I think the PACT powder system is better [for what it is worth].
Old March 5, 2006, 11:55 PM   #6
Yuriens

It used to be all RCBS electronic scales and dispensers were made by Pact for RCBS. The last time I went with the RCBS combo powder dispenser and scale I sent them back to PACT 3 times for repairs and then to RCBS for credit from their catalog. Wouldn't throw repeatable charges and the scale was crap. That was 5 years ago now. Since then I have the Lyman electronic beam scale powder dispenser and their model 1000 electonic scale. A little slower but it at least throws repeatable, accurate charges of rifle powder. For pistol I use the RCBS manual dispenser with micrometer.

Mike
Old March 11, 2006, 01:17 AM   #7
trooper3385

Thanks for the info. I think I'll probably go with the RCBS. I've heard lots of good things and not to many bad things about it. RCBS seems to have a good service dept as well. Its expensive, but they all are.