The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > General Discussion Forum

Old July 7, 2012, 10:37 PM   #1
CDR_Glock

Why is Walmart Considered the Concealed Carry Rite of Passage?

Sorry if it This was a rude question. I couldn't think of a better way to ask it.

So every New CC License holder on the Internet talks about their first walk as a concealed carry member in Walmart. Why is that the case? Because it is the most common retail store in the country? Why not "The Mall" or "The Flea Market". I find those areas to be a higher functioning test since many more people are in your personal space.
Old July 7, 2012, 10:43 PM   #2
Brian Pfleuger
Moderator Emeritus

Because "the flea market walk" or "the mall walk" or even "the bass pro walk" doesn't sound good/funny.

"The Wally Walk" is funny.

Don't over think it. Not everything is serious or has tactical validity.
Old July 7, 2012, 10:44 PM   #3
9mm

Haha, I remember getting my CCW a while back and on my way home I had to do the wally walk. I went in, checked out some ammo, movies, food.
Old July 7, 2012, 10:45 PM   #4
ScottRiqui

I don't think it's a "personal space" issue, as much as it is just being around a lot of other people and realizing that everyone there is not, in fact, staring at your because they somehow "know" you're carrying concealed.

As for why Wal-Mart? Maybe it's just because they're everywhere. I think the "ritual" is half-joke, anyway, but I did end up going to Wal-Mart and eating a plate of nachos while carrying just to carry on the tradition.
Old July 7, 2012, 10:51 PM   #5
BarryLee

I never really go to Wal-Mart unless I just have to get a cooler or something. The first place I carried was a restaurant and a Police Detective was on his dinner break at the table across from me and I swear he started at me the entire time.
A major source of objection to a free economy is precisely that it ... gives people what they want instead of what a particular group thinks they ought to want. Underlying most arguments against the free market is a lack of belief in freedom itself.
- Milton Friedman
Old July 7, 2012, 10:56 PM   #6
medalguy

He probably stared at you because you looked nervous and were staring at HIM.
Old July 7, 2012, 11:14 PM   #7
BarryLee

Yes, I thought about that. I think I was tugging at my shirt a lot, so probably lucky he didn't call for backup and check me out.
A major source of objection to a free economy is precisely that it ... gives people what they want instead of what a particular group thinks they ought to want. Underlying most arguments against the free market is a lack of belief in freedom itself.
- Milton Friedman
Old July 7, 2012, 11:47 PM   #8
CDR_Glock

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottRiqui View Post
I don't think it's a "personal space" issue, as much as it is just being around a lot of other people and realizing that everyone there is not, in fact, staring at your because they somehow "know" you're carrying concealed.

As for why Wal-Mart? Maybe it's just because they're everywhere. I think the "ritual" is half-joke, anyway, but I did end up going to Wal-Mart and eating a plate of nachos while carrying just to carry on the tradition.
First timers get self conscious. I carry and then I go back and ask my friends, "Tell me where you spot my gun."

"You're carrying a gun? Where?"

Most people don't notice you. Many are indulging over their smartphone. Others are barely able to track their own steps let alone observe others.

When I see a vest or a fanny pack, I suspect that they're carrying. I even look to see if people print. It's hard, even if you know what to look for.

I posted in other forums, this same question. There's a diversity of answers from funny to serious but Walmart is a Gun Friendly Business. From what I read, they don't condone open carry, and they adhere to their respective state laws. If you accidentally show, you can be asked to leave.

Thanks for the laughs.
Old July 8, 2012, 01:07 AM   #9
TX_QtPi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Pfleuger

Because "the flea market walk" or "the mall walk" or even "the bass pro walk" doesn't sound good/funny.

"The Wally Walk" is funny.

Don't over think it. Not everything is serious or has tactical validity.
Brian, you are my new Hero!! So Glad You put it that way, So many Tacti-cool conversations I have heard, your response could be a universal response...

but to stay on topic, yup, wally walk simply means out in public with large sums of people walk (n carry)
Old July 8, 2012, 06:27 AM   #10
KMAX

Never been to my town.

Apparently the OP has never been to my town. We just recently got a flea market and the "Mall" is so rarely used I am surprised it is still open. You could carry a bazooka and probably nobody would even see you. Walmart is where everyone goes in this town. Sometimes its the only choice (so really no choice).

Yeah, it is the most commom place that most people can relate to.

I'm not old. I'm CLASSIC!
Old July 8, 2012, 07:33 AM   #11
hogdogs
Staff In Memoriam

I work in a El Marto Del Wal... aka: ChinaMart...

I use reverse psychology on my "associates" including management...

I let them all know how cool I think it is that no one can be sure if I am violating the company policy forbidding employees to carry or even defend...

They often ask "So are you *armed*? I answer that I am ALWAYS armed... But I do not necessarily carry a gun to be *armed*...

If asked "Are you armed with a firearm?" I reply that it wouldn't be advantageous to my tactical intent for others to know for sure...

No one has ever mentioned my Buck 110 that I always carry but cannot use it "on the job" as it is not THEE ONE approved box cutter...

They rarely have to deal with emps like me...
Brent
Old July 8, 2012, 07:59 AM   #12
pmeisel

There are a lot of places in this country where Wal-Mart is the only big store.

I did it a little different. I got my permit just before the Xmas holidays a few years ago, and my sons (both grown) were coming to visit. So I carried around the house, IWB, for about a week.

Neither of them, or my wife, noticed. One of my sons is USAF security forces, with the attendant police training. After 3 days I told him, and then told him to check me out later. He still couldn't tell even when he knew. My wife and other son still don't know.
Old July 8, 2012, 07:59 AM   #13
moxie

Like kmax said.

Here in Texas Walmart is about the only store (if you even have a store!) where there are ever more than about 3 people. Before I moved to Texas I hadn't been in a Walmart more than a couple of times. Now it's twice a week.

USAF Munitions 1969-1992
RVN 1972-1973
Old July 8, 2012, 08:31 AM   #14
PawPaw

I've been carrying so long, live in a very gun friendly state, and have so many family that carry, that I don't even think about it anymore. But I do remember the first time I went armed. It takes a year or so to get over the constant knowledge that you're carrying and I've talked about it with my family members who came of age and decided to carry.

Last night I was at a family gathering, and I'm sure that four of us were carrying. I never bothered to look. It is what it is. But, with getting comfortable while carrying comes the full knowledge that the vast majority of the people we see don't give a flying damn about anyone but themselves. They're either obsessing over the cell phone, working a list for shopping, or being virtually oblivious to everything around them, including me. I don't talk about carrying much, because everyone that knows me knows I'm carrying.

http://pawpawshouse.blogspot.com
Old July 8, 2012, 09:50 AM   #15
amd6547

In the steel toe boot store I work in, I took care of a customer who was open carrying a Glock 19. Nice guy, was there about 20min...
After he left, I asked my two co-workers, who had been around the whole time (one even spoke to the guy while I took care of him)... Neither one had noticed the open carried Glock.
Old July 8, 2012, 10:59 AM   #16
CDR_Glock

Quote:
Originally Posted by KMAX View Post
Apparently the OP has never been to my town. We just recently got a flea market and the "Mall" is so rarely used I am surprised it is still open. You could carry a bazooka and probably nobody would even see you. Walmart is where everyone goes in this town. Sometimes its the only choice (so really no choice).

Yeah, it is the most commom place that most people can relate to.
When I posed my question, I was referring to my first state where I concealed, Florida. All of the stores are busy there.

Mall Walking can be anxiety provoking, without a gun, let alone a newbie CC citizen there are people all around, people walking or bumping into you, and you're carry side is exposed to someone spotting a bulge.

As for flea markets, they're definitely worse. People continuously bump into you and are frequently in bad breath range.

I've carried for a few years, now. It's just like any other item: the keys, wallet, cell phone, light and holster.
Old July 8, 2012, 11:17 AM   #17
Carne Frio

The Walmart Walk is a good confidence builder
for those new to carrying a concealed firearm.
It even has an official map for you to follow.
Old July 8, 2012, 05:27 PM   #18
KMAX

Yeah, I remember real malls and real flea markets and they are a challenge even without the worry of being discovered carrying. I was very self-conscious at first. I asked my wife and daughters on several occasions at home if they could tell I was carrying. Now I just walk around like I own the place, wherevever it is. I do not carry in legally prohibited places (Fed. buildings, POs , etc.). My wife almost freaked when she asked if I was carrying in a hospital in Dallas and I said yes. There was a sign on the door, but not the proper signage. I was a little uncomfortable with her talking about it, but she wasn't near enough to anyone else to be overheard.

I'm not old. I'm CLASSIC!
Old July 8, 2012, 05:49 PM   #19
Amsdorf

Actually, I have seen more guys reporting on OPEN carrying in WallyWorld.

Why?

Heck if I know.

Could be that WallyWorld attracts a lot of rednecks.
Old July 8, 2012, 05:50 PM   #20
saands

Talking about oblivious people ... The first day that I carried concealed, I went to visit some family and ended up taking a brother-in-law and a sister out to shoot on the "back 40" ... they were new to shooting so we took a CZ-82 and a Ruger MkII, IIRC. Anyway, they were shooting at a little dueling tree and after quite a while, I drew my full-sized 1911 and helped them move the disks on the tree back and forth. THEY DIDN'T EVEN NOTICE I was carrying after I emptied an 8 round mag in front of them ... Not a single comment about the 1911 appearing out of thin air or disappearing into the ether when I was done ... I was floored. I never did ask them if they noticed, but their behavior sure didn't match the curiosity that was there when they were observing the differences between the CZ and the Ruger.

Saands
Old July 8, 2012, 06:18 PM   #21
Glenn E. Meyer

Well, I saw a guy in WHOLE FOODS reach for his wallet and expose his gun.

How about that!

Stop for veggie pot stickers, buffalo milk blue cheese and organic toothpaste.

Whole Foods used to have no guns signs till the 30.06 sign change made the ghost buster gun signs worthless.

I suggest a Whole Foods walk for the more sophisticated.

I like that blue cheese - YUM!
Old July 8, 2012, 06:34 PM   #22
hogdogs
Staff In Memoriam

Glenn, I like their wine tasting but never was CCW at the time...

Brent
Old July 8, 2012, 07:17 PM   #23
Tom Servo
Staff

Quote:
I suggest a Whole Foods walk for the more sophisticated.
Well, look who's all "I eat like fancy city folk."

I honestly don't remember where I carried the first time. I once stopped at WalMart on my way home from an IDPA match, and I had the vest on. I stopped to look through the $5.00 DVD pile, and some doofus said, "I don't see a camera, so you must be packin' heat!"

Gee, thanks Cleetus. My main fear at WalMart is getting my feet run over by one of those obesity scooters that trundle up and down the aisles.
Old July 8, 2012, 07:22 PM   #24
Kreyzhorse

My first CCW trip was actually Wally World. It seems that is the case for a lot of people because Walmart has a lot of stores and you can always find something you need there and everyone can relate to Walmart.
Old July 8, 2012, 07:35 PM   #25
hogdogs
Staff In Memoriam

So am I a sinner of highest regsrd if I do my first "carry walk" while clocked in at the walmart I am employed by?

Like I tell 'em already... "wouldn't you just love to know..." as I shine them on... They already know i do not do involuntary fondling of my person unless I am pinned down by a single gal and the search ain't for weapons...

Man this joint wasn't ready for the likes of me when I strode in there...

They shoulda known when I made the comment "Ya'll sure do make it hard on a feller to get fired 'round here" following description of discipline procedures... Or when I snickered when asked if us "new hire associates" understood the corporate lawyer proofed self defense policy regarding on the clock employees...

I straight up stated that I do not go to bended knee out of duress...

Rolled eyes were the norm...

I was quick to state I would never defend their cash but that they had no policy explicitly stating my life was worthless and could not be defended by my self... So their policy is without tooth so long as my actions are not about protecting their "Assets"... My civil right to Life Liberty and pursuit of happiness... Well thst'n shall not be infringed...
Brent