The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old May 27, 2010, 01:50 PM   #1
bedbugbilly

Uberti 1851 Navy w square back triggerguard

I ran across an Uberti 1851 Navy (.36) with a square back triggerguard in my travels. It's unfired and action is crisp and clean - just a really nice pistol. It's calling out my name and since the '51 Navies are my favorites, I'm considering purchasing it. The fellow wants $280 for it. Uberti lists it on their site as a suggested retail of $329. I've looked at serveral other sites and see that the prices vary. While I have a number of BP pistols, I don't have an Uberti and I know that the quality of this one is excellent. A real plus being able to handle it and check it out compared to doing mail order. My question is this . . . . is $280 a decent price for one that is new and unfired? He also had a '51 Navy by Pietta - I have Piettas and have had excellent luck with them. The Pietta was nice, but when set side by side with the Uberti, the Uberti definately won out.

I'd appreciate any feedback in regards to this as well as hearing from anyone who has this particular Uberti model and how they like it. It will strickty be cap and ball as I don't shoot conversions, etc. Many thanks!
If a pair of '51 Navies were good enough for Billy Hickok, then a single Navy on my right hip is good enough for me . . . besides . . . I'm probably only half as good as he was anyways. Hiram's Rangers Badge #63
Old May 27, 2010, 02:03 PM   #2
Rifleman1776

New, the price would be OK.
Check out muzzle loading dealers like Track of the Wolf, Dixie Gun Works, and others.
I recently sold a Colt reissue Colt 1851 Navy, with holster for $400.00. I think it was made by Uberti but not positive. Might have been Pedersoli. Both are quality.
Old May 27, 2010, 02:28 PM   #3
Hardcase

Midway sells that revolver for $281.99, so it doesn't seem like a tremendous deal.

http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct...tNumber=148019
Old May 27, 2010, 05:35 PM   #4
surbat6

I'm inclined to agree with Hardcase. Like it or not, repro C&B revolvers don't have a lot of second-hand value. And, when Midway is selling Ubertis new for near the asking price, I'd say you need to take the seller a Midway flier and point out the new gun's price. Admittedly, the squareback is like new, but that really means USED. I'd pay $200 tops.
Old May 27, 2010, 05:46 PM   #5
mykeal

The 100% condition value of a Uberti 1851 .36 Navy is $275 in the Fifth Edition of The Blue Book of Modern Black Powder Arms. That's pretty close.
Old May 27, 2010, 08:17 PM   #6
bedbugbilly

Thank you all for your comments - it's greatly appreciated. I've looked at Midway and Buffalo - both of which have the same '51 square back triggerguard Navy by Uberti. Now I have another question that perhaps someone can answer?

Both have this model in standard blued finish - steel frame - which is what I'm looking for. However, Buffalo states that their's is a "Cimarron" imported Uberti '51 Navy. Buffalo's price - 278.69 & Midway's price - 281.99 - plus shipping. Can someone enlighten me on just what exactly is the "Cimarron" classification? Are these more "hand picked" Ubertis? I believe that in some posts, I've heard and read that "Cimarrons" are good Uberti Revolvers but I really don't know anything about them. I know that "Cimarron" also shows a charcoal bluing and an antique finish at a higher cost. As I said, I'm looking at the standard blued revolvers as it will be used and shot often and after a while, is going to look used and antique as it is. Thanks!
If a pair of '51 Navies were good enough for Billy Hickok, then a single Navy on my right hip is good enough for me . . . besides . . . I'm probably only half as good as he was anyways. Hiram's Rangers Badge #63
Old May 27, 2010, 08:34 PM   #7
bedbugbilly

I did a search for Cimarron Firearms and took a look at their site. How come Cimarron lists the '51 squareback Navy at $349 in standard blue finish and Buffalo offers a "Cimarron" '51 squareback Navy - supposed to be the same pistol ?? at $278 ? Roughly a $71 difference? I don't get it. Can somebody explain? Thanks!
Old May 27, 2010, 10:10 PM   #8
mykeal

Did you ask Buffalo?
Old May 28, 2010, 05:37 AM   #9
pohill

I've heard of a few bad dealings with Cimarron, mostly concerning their return policy. I've dealt with Midway a few times, and never had a problem. I'd put that $71 towards powder, caps and roundballs.
As far as the price of the used 1851 - ($280) - will the seller drop the price at all? The advantage there is that, like you said, you've handled and examined the gun, so you know what you're getting.
Old May 28, 2010, 06:40 AM   #10
madcratebuilder

It's worth what ever you are welling to pay for it. The Uberti sells new for $260-300 area. Used can be all over the place. Last year I bought a often handled but seldom fired Navy Arms 51 Navy, made by Uberti in 1964, it was in good condition, cleaned up to be near excellent condition. Cost $80 OTD.

If you like it, buy it, who knows what tomorrow brings.