The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old December 8, 2007, 01:51 PM   #1
Pharaohawk27

Kershaw Leek Knife

KERSHAW LEEK KNIFE

Years ago my grandfather gave me a small knife that he called a gentleman’s knife. I was small and it had a sharp blade that served me well for a variety of tasks, but eventually I lost it.
Having purchased the SOG Flash II a couple of weeks before and falling in love with the opening assisted feature, I set to find a smaller knife in the “gentleman’s knife” category that will not print when using a tuxedo.

I settled for the Ken Onion’s designed Leek model by Kershaw, a stainless steel three inches blade, four inches overall knife, with flat profile and a clip on the right side for securing it to pockets.

The knife is extremely sharp, and the blade seems to leap at the small push of the index finger and lock securely. I use the index finger on the top of the blade extension on top, but it can also be opened with the thumb stud that is on the rear of the blade.
The knife also has a way to lock the blade for protection against accidental openings; slide a small button at the rear of the handle.
To close the blade you will need two hands. One finger is used to push the locking bar out of the way of the blade to close the knife.

Those forward assisted blades are really great! And the little Leek is a fine knife; I am pleased with my purchase of this fine gentleman's knife.

Sincerely,

Pharaohawk
Old December 8, 2007, 03:39 PM   #2
jhansman

All the Ken Onion designs are very nice, but I favor the Scallion. Best knife I've ever used or owned (except my Bucks), and a value at its cost. People get a bit nervous when I open it with one hand, but they get over it quickly once they use it.
Old December 9, 2007, 09:19 AM   #3
FirstFreedom

The leek is flat out awesome- my G10/S30V leek is the perfect small, light everyday carry knife - the straight blade is easy to sharpen. It's thin, light, and I love that A.O.

Beware of copies. At the gun show this weekend,there were Chinese copies of the Leek I saw.
Old December 10, 2007, 01:10 AM   #4
Bond007

+1. I received a Leek as a birthday present and quickly came to appreciate it.

I'd highly recommend anyone for picking one up.
Old December 10, 2007, 07:00 AM   #5
fisherman66

I use a Scallion for deer and daily duties. It's similar to the Leek in design and I think it has the same blade material. It will hold a razor edge (I have the blade angle much more accute than factory) for a long time. I dressed and quartered 2 deer over the weekend and it's still sharp enough for another couple deer right now. For a cheap knife I'm impressed.
Old December 10, 2007, 07:11 AM   #6
rgates

Also the best knife I've ever owned. Can't believe how long it will hold an edge.
Old December 10, 2007, 12:32 PM   #7
jhansman

IMHO, Kershaw represents the best value in EDC knives. Excellent quality and variety of styles. They help fill the gap left by the now defunct Camillus.
Old December 12, 2007, 08:01 PM   #8
FirstFreedom

The Leek

I meant to add previously:

AND, it's long enough and sharp enough to easily reach vital organs in the event you should have to press it into service as a self-defense knife.