The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old July 1, 2008, 07:49 PM   #1
overkill556x45

Lithuanian 7.62 NATO brass

Okay, so I just spent the last hour and a half combing over posts about using 7.62NATO brass for .308 WIN loads. Everyone agrees that NATO brass has less volume. About half say to "download 10%", and half say that as long as you aren't loading max loads, everything is cool. There was no clear majority, and both sides had personal testimonials to back them up. I am new to reloading and would like some straight-ish answers for the following:

1. Do I need to download for 7.62NATO brass (Lithuanian if that makes a difference)

2. If it is "10%" does that mean 10% back from the max load (which I plan on loading 10% back from max anyway), or does this mean to back off 10% from the "start" load? I plan on loading 41.5gr IMR4064 (45.9gr MAX) 168gr HPBT. Can I get away with that load in NATO brass or do I need to load my NATO stuff to like 40 or 40.5gr (or less)?
Old July 2, 2008, 09:50 PM   #2
crowbeaner

The safest bet is to start 15% below the maximum charge and load 3 rounds. Check them carefully upon firing for any signs of excessive pressure. If all appears well, increase the charge by 1/2 grain and try 3 more until you see obvious signs that the loads are nearing maximum. If you use the Hodgdon manuals #25 or #26, the maximum loads for IMR 4064 are pretty close. There is a section on .308 match loads with LC cases, and the data is pretty good. I've heard that the Lithuanian ammo is quite good by military standards, and the brass should be more than usable with recommended loads. I match prep all my mil brass to uniform them so that the loads will stay within parameters in the manual. You would be surprised just how good military brass is if you take pains to make them uniform; I hunt with LC stuff in my "06, and the rifle just loves the loads I've worked up.