The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > General Discussion Forum

View Poll Results: Is a firearm a good idea for a wedding gift.
Yes, it is always appropriate. 20 24.10%
Yes, but make sure you take out the trash. 3 3.61%
Depends on the woman. 40 48.19%
Are you nuts? 20 24.10%
Voters: 83. You may not vote on this poll

Old September 6, 2012, 08:36 AM   #26
Edward429451

Quote:
of course there would be a small bill of "sale" to be signed for a small amount of money never really received
Oh, come now. Isn't that taking things to an unhealthy level?
Old September 6, 2012, 08:40 AM   #27
carguychris

Quote:
of course there would be a small bill of "sale" to be signed for a small amount of money never really received
There is probably no need. It is 100% legal under US federal law to give a firearm as a gift. State laws vary, but there is no prohibition at the national level.

You may have been misled by the "...are you the actual buyer..." question on the Form 4473. You would not be the first. This is explained in the fine print. The key is GIFT- i.e. NO compensation expected in return.
Old September 6, 2012, 08:56 AM   #28
Strafer Gott

Man, you're going to go through enough changes without getting off on the wrong foot. You should re- think this. If she is not an avid hunter-shooter, you are really going to step in some pretty ..., . Good luck, and God bless.
Old September 6, 2012, 09:04 AM   #29
Skans

Quote:
She owns one pistol (SIG 228) and we go to the range every once in a while.
One pistol and goes to the range once in a while is NOT a woman who is "in to guns". Let me put it this way - I'm a guy and I love guns, but if someone gave me a gun as a wedding present, I'd think it was freakish. I would, however, put up with freakish if it was either a: Borchardt C-93, Sig AMT, Bren Ten, Sig X-Five, or Korth 357.
Old September 6, 2012, 09:07 AM   #30
Hal

Quote:
Is a firearm an appropriate wedding gift?
No.
Old September 6, 2012, 09:14 AM   #31
Brian Pfleuger
Moderator Emeritus

A wedding gift to your wife should be the thing that she wants most in the world that is within your financial means.

If you have to ask if it's appropriate, you don't have to ask.
Old September 6, 2012, 12:02 PM   #32
Stressfire

If I bought my wife a gun, she would shoot me with it. She has expressed such to me

If I bought her one as a wedding gift, she would kneecap me, then proceed to pistol-whip me She has expressed that as well

However, if your wife is a gunner and will appreciate the gesture, a very very nice, classic revolver might suffice. Lots of engraving, scrollwork, shiney finish, et cetera.

If she is an antique aficionado and can take a joke...as pnac stated a set of matched dueling pistols might not be half bad.
Old September 6, 2012, 12:31 PM   #33
RamItOne

What were you looking at getting her?

A hideous piece of tupperware or any other black gun or a nice elegant rifle like a no.1 international etc?
Old September 6, 2012, 03:41 PM   #34
Skans

Do bride and groom get each other wedding gifts? Is that the norm now? Sheesh, I thought the diamond engagement ring was the groom's gift to his bride! The point of a wedding is to accumulate enough loot from the help of friends and relatives to get the two of you a good head start in securing a house and starting a family. Now, when your wife has a child, you better get her something nice!....and NOT a gun.

.....................not a gold watch either!
Old September 6, 2012, 03:50 PM   #35
aarondhgraham

Something blue,,,

A bride is supposed to carry:
Something old, Something new, something borrowed, and something blue.

Does a blue steel handgun fit the bill?

Aarond

Aarond is good,,, Aarond is wise,,, Always trust Aarond! (most of the time)
Old September 6, 2012, 03:55 PM   #36
Stressfire

Quote:
Sheesh, I thought the diamond engagement ring was the groom's gift to his bride!
I thought so too...and was told I was wrong

Quote:
Does a blue steel handgun fit the bill?
ROFL!!
Old September 6, 2012, 03:59 PM   #37
AllenJ

Quote:
A wedding gift to your wife should be the thing that she wants most in the world that is within your financial means.

If you have to ask if it's appropriate, you don't have to ask.
Common sense sucks sometimes
Old September 6, 2012, 04:33 PM   #38
lamarw

You are damned if you do. What was your upbringing? It would display a complete lack of class. Have you ever shopped in a jewelry store? How do you think she is going to feel telling her personal friends and relatives of such a gift. She will be embarassed. Do you plan of wearing camo or jeans at your wedding?

A diamond or some other form of personal item.

Let me know when you will be on the Jerry Springer Show.

Last edited by lamarw; September 6, 2012 at 04:42 PM.
Old September 6, 2012, 05:30 PM   #39
22-rimfire

Should help settle some of your future arguments... oops, discussions.

As I said before. NO
Old September 6, 2012, 05:54 PM   #40
Hansam

My wife LOVES to shoot handguns. She LOVES the 1911 platform and has told me straight out that she wants one.

That said if I EVER got her a 1911 for our anniversary she'd shoot me with it. I think I'd have been sleeping alone every night of our honeymoon if I'd tried to give her a gun for a wedding gift.

Come to think of it I didn't give her a wedding gift. That's what the guests do. I gave her a ring and that's all you should have to give her (material wise that is) when you get married.

If you must go ahead and give yourself *ahem* her the rifle. You'll be in the dog house right out of the wedding but hey at least you've got yourself a rifle. Don't expect any favors from her for a LONG time though.
Old September 6, 2012, 05:59 PM   #41
RamItOne

Jerry springer

If she likes firearms and it's a nice firearm then what's wrong with it

I'm not saying buy her a Springfield xd, what if the OP is wealthy and looking at a 150K holland and holland?
Old September 6, 2012, 10:42 PM   #42
TX_QtPi

WTH? who voted depends on the woman? LOL

All I'm saying it better be a set of his n hers, cause If WE get a present, and it's a gun, and there is only one, you can bet your butt it's NOT gonna be HIS... LOL

and I don't mean no cutesy thing either I want something equal or better to his... but YES, IF you can afford to give it, It MUST be a matching set and IT IS ALWAYS APPROPRIATE!
Old September 7, 2012, 12:58 AM   #43
youngunz4life

carguy chris and/or edward (posts 26 & 27),

Thx for the heads up...I thought the gifting was legal but I wasn't 100% sure. That wasn't the reason though. The reason is maybe the little OCD in me or the comfort I would have to have a paper trail just in that small case that someone came knocking on my door someday because this gun became infamous somehow.

*I deleted part of that orginal comment before you guys responded...I was planning on gifting him a loaded revolver with a speedloader ready to go next to it as well but maybe that's just a little too much shock and awe for the mama in law. I already know my bro in law loves the firearm though. I mean that's what Chrsitmas is all about....you open up the present and there is the gift of the year looking back at you. That is the same reason why I agree with the wedding present for the OP...this gift is remembered. Heck they won't remember the amount if it's cash but maybe if you write a check, but this wedding gift can provide a healthy service for years and decades to come(as well as give someone a good reason to make this offer).

Last edited by youngunz4life; September 7, 2012 at 01:05 AM. Reason: asterix paragraph added
Old September 7, 2012, 05:33 AM   #44
Justice06RR

Depends on the woman, but ideally you should not give a woman a firearm for a wedding gift specifically -- unless you know for sure that she really wants one.

If she does, then you picked the right wife!
Old September 7, 2012, 11:04 PM   #45
Gary L. Griffiths

My wedding gift to my niece last year was a Walther P-22 that she enjoyed shooting on a couple of occasions. She recently told me that having it at home makes her feel safe, especially when her husband is away on business.
Violence is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. The decayed and degraded state of moral and valorous feeling which believes that nothing is worth violence is much worse. Those who have nothing for which they are willing to fight; nothing they care about more than their own craven apathy; are miserable creatures who have no chance of being free, unless made and kept so by the valor of those better than themselves. Gary L. Griffiths (Paraphrasing John Stuart Mill)
Old September 7, 2012, 11:58 PM   #46
youngunz4life

and that gift gary will be remembered and used over decades probably(and might never have happened if you hadn't have thought of doing it....as in she might not have bought one herself)
Old September 8, 2012, 12:32 AM   #47
mrbatchelor

Few women would really appreciate it as a wedding present. But after a few years they make great anniversary presents.

Here's what I gave my wife last year.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg ImageUploadedByTapatalk HD1347082336.062541.jpg (50.9 KB, 6 views)

Last edited by mrbatchelor; September 9, 2012 at 12:44 AM.
Old September 8, 2012, 01:07 AM   #48
SHNOMIDO

Something else now, rifle later.
Old September 8, 2012, 01:20 AM   #49
FloridaVeteran

A while back I was in a gun shop, looking at the owner's old-guns collection. We got to talking about an outstanding-condition first-generation Colt that he had - a Bisley in what appeared to be a super-rare caliber (he was waiting for a letter from Colt, to confirm). On the inside of one of the grip panels was an inscription that it was a wedding present to the buyer's/owner's wife.
Old September 8, 2012, 04:56 AM   #50
MLeake

Interestingly, the only post that I've noted to be specifically written by a female said she (the poster) would have been quite happy with a firearm as wedding gift.

Some of the more judgmental posters in this thread might want to consider that.

So, I will say again - it depends on the woman.