The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old May 22, 2011, 11:29 PM   #1
lasvegastransplant

Bersa 380 with Borken TRIGGER

Has anyone had issues with theirs? The trigger will not drop the hammer at all. Single or double action. Trigger wont even return all the way either sometimes. I'm assuming the spring causes the trigger not to return but what would cause it not to drop the hammer?? No tension at all when squeezing the trigger.

I owned one years ago and loved it. My wife purchases her T380 one month and "2" days ago(used). Today was her first time shooting it(about 55-65 rounds). The gun store she got it from has a "30" day return policy. SUCKS We did leave a message hoping they will call tomorrow and possibly resolve this issue. DOUBT IT.

I will NEVER allow her to buy a used gun ever again. I had a feeling about it from the jump. Looked unused inside and out.... Buying used really is not worth it. Especially an ..."Inexpensive" type pistol. I looked up some threads a little bit ago and it seems like this happens to Bersas. Mine never had a problem. Maybe because I got mine NEW. This was going to be her CCW and now it's a paper weight. After this(even if it's fixed) I cannot let her use it as her CCW. I liked T380's until today. I'm going to buy her a nice revolver. Any suggestions on a QUALITY pistol NOT made from crap steel or aluminum parts? Something that will last for our Grandkids to shoot.

What would it cost to fix it? I read something on another threat about a broken trigger bar.?? If that was broke in this case, what would we be looking at to fix? Thanks
Thinking 4:24/7 is a way of life.
Old May 23, 2011, 01:44 AM   #2
CajunBass

I had that problem with a Bersa 22 once. Puling the trigger felt like the safety was on. There was just nothing.

A trip to the gunsmith left him scratching his head for a few minutes, then he found that the rubber grips had a bit of "mold flashing" on the inside that pressed against the trigger bar. Powder fouling had built up in that area enough to interfear with the trigger bar. He ground the flashing off the inside of the grips, and the gun has worked fine ever since. No charge.

Might or might not help you, but it's cheap to check.

You can do what you want, but if I got it fixed, I wouldn't hesitate to carry it, or let my wife carry it. Stuff breaks. It happens.
John 3:16 (NKJV)
Old May 23, 2011, 08:43 AM   #3
BombthePeasants

what is a Borken trigger? is that an aftermarket trigger?
Old May 23, 2011, 08:51 AM   #4
SwampYankee
Registration in progress

Thank goodness it's Borken and not broken!

You do run the risk with used firearms but for the price, they generally cannot be beat. I have dozens of handguns, I only bought two new. The Ruger Redhawk has been perfect. The Charter Arms (bought new) has been a disaster, back to the factory twice. Of my used guns, two went back to the factory, one for a missing sight and the other for a damaged sear- a bit of home gunsmithing on the part of a previous owner.

Obviously, some companies make better products than others but it does not hurt to keep the warranty in mind (or just the plain service) when buying used.
Old May 23, 2011, 10:01 AM   #5
lasvegastransplant

Broken is Broken

The trigger will not drop the hammer. Almost feels like the safety is on but not. Also when releasing, it does not return all the way. It feels like it need some lubrication(but doesn't).
Old May 23, 2011, 10:13 AM   #6
B. Lahey

Bersas tend to bork alright. Could be a broken spring borking you, that's a common problem.

Find out who does service for Bersa, I recall it's one lonesome gunsmith. Get it fixed, sell it, don't buy Bersa again. It will almost certainly be cheaper to have your gunshop mail it in for you, your options are expensive mailing a handgun as an individual, FFLs are not burdened with the same shipping requirements.

The problem is not that it was used, the problem is that it was a used Bersa. I have had far more problems with NIB guns than used classics.
Old May 23, 2011, 10:37 AM   #7
lasvegastransplant

Going to sell this piece.

I don't trust it anymore for the Wife. She deserves to feel comfortable with her pistol and not scared that it will fail again. The look on her face when her FIRST pistol stopped working unlike anything I ever seen. Total disgust written all over her. :barf:

I did like Bersa and she only purchased it remembering that my old Bersa worked without an issue. I know machines break but DARN what a heap this one turned out to be.
Old May 23, 2011, 09:35 PM   #8
schotz

Only takes ten seconds and a screw-driver to take the grip panel off and look. Could just be something minor as CajunBass said.
Old May 23, 2011, 09:53 PM   #9
lasvegastransplant

I have taken it apart to look

Everything seems to be fine. Gun store called today and said bring it by. I'll post the results when it is fixed. Thanks for the advice though. It's probably going to end up in a drawer and forgotten about. The wife is already looking at a few different pistol/revolvers
Old May 27, 2011, 09:00 AM   #10
triggerman770

Bersa

" FFLs are not burdened with the same shipping requirements."
really???
We ship thru the same USPS;UPS:Fed-x as non FFL's and as such have to meet the same requirements. I may get better pricing on the last two due to my affiliations with certain organizations to which dues etc are paid. but that is the only difference. FWIW an individual can ship a gun to any FFL or the manufacturer and it can be shipped directly back under the same requirements as the FFL or the Manufacturer
www.georgiacarry.org
Old May 27, 2011, 10:27 AM   #11
lasvegastransplant

Fixed any working fine.

We took it to the shop and the guy looked at it for like 2 minutes and fixed it. He found that a spring had come loose. It was SSSSSO simple that we just laughed. I know now what to look for. The spring was off set just a little. He said that it happens sometimes and that if it ever did again that they would grind the groove that the spring sits in. It was the spring under the right grip at the top by the trigger bar. I guess sometimes the groove is too shallow and the spring will slip out.

That being said we planned on shooting that day anyways and got to shoot the Bersa also. Shot like 60 rounds through it. BUT...Once it took a few squeezes to fire??? Works fine now though. Removed the right grip and checked the spring while cleaning it and saw noting wrong. Fun to shoot but this particular pistol is not a CCW. My Wife wants a 38 now... Her father likes revolvers and she has been considering one. I would feel safer if she were to carry one anyways.
Old May 27, 2011, 10:33 AM   #12
B. Lahey

Quote:
We ship thru the same USPS;UPS:Fed-x as non FFL's and as such have to meet the same requirements. I may get better pricing on the last two due to my affiliations with certain organizations to which dues etc are paid. but that is the only difference. FWIW an individual can ship a gun to any FFL or the manufacturer and it can be shipped directly back under the same requirements as the FFL or the Manufacturer
Non-FFLs must ship handguns overnight (policy of UPS as well as other common carriers), and can not use standard USPS shipping (federal law).

Figured an FFL would know that...

http://www.thegunzone.com/ship-guns.html

Last edited by B. Lahey; May 27, 2011 at 10:40 AM.