The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old November 19, 2006, 07:29 PM   #1
demondriver89

Is this all I need

Hello I was looking into reloading for a 22-250 but wasnt sure what I all needed. The reloading kit I was planing on getting is the lee aniversary kit and the dies are lee pascesetter dies and a lyman 1200 tumbler and the lyman case cleaning media a cabelas bullet puller, a caliper and the bullets powder and primers. The bullets i was planing on getting are the hornaday vmax 50 grain the primers are the remington 9 1/2 large rifle and the powder will either be hodgdon varget or h380 the gun i am using is a ruger m77 mark 2 vt 26 inch barrell and 1 in14 twist i was wondering if this is all the stuff i should need to start reloading and if any one had any recomendations of something else i should get or something i should change and i also wonderd if any one had any recomendationson what reloading manuals were good i also plan to reload for 300win mag, 338 win mag, 30-30, and maybe 25-06 thanks for any help
Old November 19, 2006, 08:39 PM   #2
rwilson452

More stuff

I don't see the case gauge that you use with the cutter and lock stud You will need one for each caliber you load. For manuals Lyman's rates highly with me and contains good stuff for the beginning reloader. Altho it doesn't contain reloading data the "ABCs of Reloading" is a good book to learn the process on. As your using Lee stuff "Lee's Modern Reloading" can be substituted for the ABC book I would buy both. Nosler, Sierra, Are good reference material. Does Hornaday have a manual? Both Bullet mfg and Powder mfg have a wealth of data on their web sites. This hobby requires a lot of reading, thoughtful reflection and attention to detail.

Warning you are about to take a journey into a very addictive hobby. There is no known cure.

Hello I was looking into reloading for a 22-250 but wasnt sure what I all needed. The reloading kit I was planing on getting is the lee aniversary kit and the dies are lee pascesetter dies and a lyman 1200 tumbler and the lyman case cleaning media a cabelas bullet puller, a caliper and the bullets powder and primers. The bullets i was planing on getting are the hornaday vmax 50 grain the primers are the remington 9 1/2 large rifle and the powder will either be hodgdon varget or h380 the gun i am using is a ruger m77 mark 2 vt 26 inch barrell and 1 in14 twist i was wondering if this is all the stuff i should need to start reloading and if any one had any recomendations of something else i should get or something i should change and i also wonderd if any one had any recomendationson what reloading manuals were good i also plan to reload for 300win mag, 338 win mag, 30-30, and maybe 25-06 thanks for any help
Old November 19, 2006, 09:50 PM   #3
FRANK1669

If you are going for the most accuracy i would reccomend getting a powder trickeler also Cabelas offers their brand of an electric scale for $60 dollars It works well for me It is a lot more exspencive But if you are going to use a powder measure Get a RCBS or Lyman Mine trhow with in a 1/10th of a grain every time the lee one I have is off as much as a 1/2 grain you will need a case trimmer also other nise thing to have would be a stuck case remover

Oh a couple of pointers if possible have your scales on a sepperate table next to your reloading bench (the Lee scale especially hates to me vibrated from working the press) Try to get some one to help you start if possible and check often also check - weigh some of your brass they will not be the same weigh but close get an average then weigh you ammo when it is done. you now the weight of the bullet and powder so you can find an over or under charge fairly easy Good luck and enjo reloading

One more thing try to limmit the distractions No radio or TV or PS with your friends and always wear your safty glasses
Old November 20, 2006, 12:36 AM   #4
ziggy222

i went with the rcbs kit and am very happy but to each their own.i also found 50 grain noslers to be cheaper and better in their 250 round boxes at midway.i started with h380 but switched to imr 4064,both were very accurate but h380 seemed to give different results for me in changing weather.i was'nt able to go over a 52 grain bullet before accuracy suffered with 3 different guns that had a 1:14 twist barrel.i loved the hornady dies i bought for it.i had a special rcbs x-sizer die for awhile but it did'nt do what they claimed and i got some dented cases.don't waste your time with the stupid lube pad that comes with the kits,go but some spray lube and don't miss any spots or you'll have a heck of a time getting the case out.its best to have someone show you how if you can,good luck.
Old November 20, 2006, 01:11 AM   #5
skeeter1

The only other thing I would suggest is a reloading block. You can make your own with a piece of 2x6 and a forstner bit and a drill press, or you can look here:

www.mtmcase-gard.com

It's only plastic, but inexpensive and it works. It will help you organize your reloading

Cheers, and have fun with your new hobby!
Old November 20, 2006, 02:08 PM   #6
demondriver89

would i be better off buying the lee deluxe rifle sizing dies or the lee pacesetters. and i was also wondering if i could just use a caliper in place of the case gauge or is the case guages alot eaiser to use. Also does the case trimmer come in the kit. And does any one know how good the the data manual is that comes with the kit or if i should just buy another one i already have abcs of reloading but was needing a data manual. thanks alot
Old November 20, 2006, 02:13 PM   #7
demondriver89

also another question is would i be better using the same type of primer as the brass say if i have rem brass would it be better to use rem primer or does it really matter