The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old October 14, 2004, 02:00 PM   #1
ZWolfgang

Power Pistol - looking for info on this powder

I'm considering using PowerPistol for .45 Colt loads for use in a lever rifle. I'm NOT looking for maximum power, just moderate power from a clean, easy to use powder which might also be suitable for my .357, .45 acp, and light .44 mag. loads.

I'll probably be looking to load with about 9 to 10 gr. behind a 250 gr. Gold Dot or Hornady XTP bullet for a 16" lever rifle velocity of about 1100 fps.

Before I buy some I was wondering if anyone could tell me:

1) Is this a relatively "clean" powder?

2) Does it meter evenly and easily?

3) Any issues or downside to it?

The other powder I'm considering is 2400, which I understand is slower and capable of generating greater power if I want it. But I wasn't sure which powder will be cleaner and easier to work with. Since I'm not looking for heavy hunting power and I have a variety of pistols to reload for, it seemed that I might try a somewhat faster powder like PowerPistol.

Thanks so much.
Old October 15, 2004, 05:20 AM   #2
WESHOOT2

Actual

I had excellent results with Power Pistol and Penn Bullets' 270g "Thunderhead" in 45 Colt (Redhawk).

11.0g, CCI300, Starline.
I particularly liked its recoil feel.

That said, Power Pistol is clean, meters superbly, and offers great accuracy in every cartridge I've tried.
My preferred 40 S&W powder, and absolutely the best for +P 45 ACP.
Old October 15, 2004, 08:33 AM   #3
griz

I got a pound of it for 9mm and just got around to trying it in +P 38 special and 357 mag. Velocities were very consistent, it was clean and metered well. The only problem was I didn't know about it before! I haven't tried it in the bigger bores but see no reason why it shouldn't be great there too.
Old October 15, 2004, 11:29 AM   #4
ZWolfgang

The feedback I've had elsewhere shows a consensus that it's really clean burning, meters very well, has good accuracy. The only possible downside is that some folks have said that it has quite a bit of white flash. Have you guys noticed a tendency toward more flash?

The other powders I'm looking at for consideration for moderate to punchy loads (along with PowerPistol) are 231, AA#5, and BlueDot.

For the heavy .45 Colt and .44 mag. loads I'm looking at 110 and 296.
Old October 17, 2004, 07:58 AM   #5
WESHOOT2

boomers = H110 / W296 my personal preference remains W296).

mediums = Universal Clays, HS6, and Power Pistol

easy-shooters = W231

Power Pistol exhibits more flash than I care for in duty or social ammo, but I consider it within reason and would still use it regardless of its flash signature (rather bright in 40 S&W, not bad in the .355"s, and big-bores all seem to flash, anyways...).
Old October 23, 2004, 10:54 AM   #6
Patrick Graham

I just moved to Power Pistol from 296 in .357 mag and 44 mag.

I have been using 296 for years and I love it but the Winchester reloading manual always has ominous warnings about reducing the listed 296 loads and I wanted a powder that I could create lighter loads with in the magnum rounds.

In 9mm and 45 ACP Power Pistol works ok but it's very "flashy". I prefer 231 in those calibers.

As far as being clean.. It doesn't seem to be any cleaner or dirtier than 296. It's maybe a tad bit cleaner than 231.

As far as metering.. it's great.
Old October 23, 2004, 03:09 PM   #7
Bob Thompson

Z, I also found this powder has a somewhat different burning "rate", i.e. In loading maximum loads for .45 Super in an autoloader I would get buldged cases before attaining a certain velocity. With Powder Pistol I attained and even exceeded that same velocity without buldging cases. Something to due with burning "rate" and early extraction in an autoloader. This is a plus if loading maximum loads in an autoloader. Bob