The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old May 30, 2011, 04:26 PM   #1
donthav1

Spanish 25 acp questions

hello all, new to the forum, not to firearms. I picked up this little 6.35 (or 25 auto, whichever you prefer to call it) in addition to other gun parts at an auction. only problem is there is no brand name on it & i'm missing most of the slide internals. so since i don't know exactly what it is, it's a little hard to track down parts for it. here's some pics:

my best guess is it's an astra because of the oblong opening for the muzzle, but this doesn't have a grip safety like the astra's i found online do. the slide simply says "Pistol Automatic Cal 6.35."

The serial number is 2327, as for the markings on the frame one resembles a shield with a knights helmet on top of it with an "X" in the middle of the shield. next to that is either an "L" or possibly "D." Next to that is what looks like a circle with a crown on top of it, in the middle of the circle is either an "F" or "P." this mark is also right above it on the slide.

Any & all help is greatly appreciated,

Ryan.
Old May 31, 2011, 01:06 AM   #2
zombie666

Forlorn Hope

Don't mean to be a downer, but there used to be hundreds perhaps thousands of little cottage industry gunsmiths in Spain turning out inexpensive handguns. At one time, I used to collect them. Never shot them much. If you broke a part, you were pretty much screwed unless it was something you could make yourself. If you could post some pics, I might recognize the item in question.
Old May 31, 2011, 01:23 AM   #3
gyvel

Zombie is correct saying that there were a myriad of little "job shops" that turned these pistols out by the thousands. Often, one shop would produce the same pistol with several different brand names (or, none at all) for various vendors.

I am going to assume your letter is a "D", which would make the year of production 1931. If it were an "L" the year of production would be 1939, and Franco had shut down all but 4 manufacturers by then. Given that your pistol is a "Pistol Automatic Cal 6.35," it is not likely that the firm that made it survived past 1937-38.

As far as the slide internals, they are generally simple lathe turnings (firing pin, retaining pins, etc.), and the extractor can be made from a piece of flat steel.
Old May 31, 2011, 11:21 AM   #4
Clark

If that pistol was in working order, it might only be worth $50 or $75.

I got a Spanish 25acp for less than that, that works... sort of.

The 25 acp is registered at 25 k c.u.p., but I run them at more than double that.

Except the Spanish piece, which will pierce the primer, due to a poor firing pin to firing pin hole fit.

What does it all mean?
Give up.
"Ad hominem fallacy" is not the same as point by point criticism of books. If you bought the book, and believe it all, it may FEEL like an ad hominem attack, but you might strive to accept other points of view may exist.
Are we a nation of competing ideas, or a nation of forced conformity of thought?