The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Curios and Relics

Old January 16, 2010, 07:48 AM   #1
ron90s

unknown rifle, please help identify

Hallo all
found this two barrel shotgun in my father's junk collection.
can any of you help me identify its origin??

logo on barrels states: j.catzeflis + etfils

Thanks

Ron
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1099.jpg (239.7 KB, 168 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1098.jpg (246.4 KB, 119 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1092.jpg (248.4 KB, 117 views)
Old January 16, 2010, 08:06 AM   #2
Jim Watson

The gun is one of the thousands and thousands of shotguns made in Belgium and sold all over the world in the late 19th and early 20th centuries.

Proof marks on this one say it was made between 1898 and 1924, probably early in that period before everybody went hammerless. Ol' Catzeflis and his son may have been the makers or just sellers of a commodity gun as were turned out in large quantities by small companies who would put any name requested on a gun. The straight grip is a fairly unusual style, maybe they meant it to sell in England or Empire and it found its way here instead... or just later.
Old January 16, 2010, 08:20 AM   #3
PetahW

FWIW, The green ooze around the barrel lugs suggests that it's corroding from inside the solder joint that holds the lugs to the barrels.

Old January 16, 2010, 10:17 AM   #4
madcratebuilder

A old Belgium made shotgun that needs a gunsmith inspection if you are thinking about shooting it.
Old January 16, 2010, 02:35 PM   #5
ron90s

Thanks folks for the info and observations, I did find two more firing arms and will post pictures as soon as I'll visit my old dad again.

BTW these firarms are located in Israel, I've found this forum using a google search.

Thanks again!

Ron
Old January 16, 2010, 02:39 PM   #6
Scorch

16 ga from Belgium, no doubt about it. Has some signs of having aspired to being a fairly high-quality shotgun at some point in its life. The crowns on the barrels may be intended to infer some sort of association with the royal house, I don't know. The barrels and the barrel lug are brazed, judging from the green oxidation being lifted by the oils on the steel. Decorative tooling like that on the bottom of the lug is usually found on the more expensive guns, but any decorative tooling on good guns is usually of a lot higher quality of workmanship than what you see on your gun. It would be interesting to take a look at it.

Take it to a good gunsmith for a once-over. Just remember, there was a reason it was in your father's junk pile. Parts it needed may be unavailable, or it may be unsafe to fire for any number of reasons. Or it may have just needed some work that he never got around to doing.