The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Old November 27, 2009, 12:53 PM   #1
radioflyer

Plinking games?

My father was telling me of a target-shooting game some of the marines used to do in vietnam. They would take a target out to "x" distance, then with a pistol of choice see how many rounds they could get on the mark in 3 seconds. Best score wins.

Anyone else have accuracy/speed competitions the challange themselves/friends to? (not talking IPSC/IDPA courses)
Old November 27, 2009, 02:46 PM   #2
capbuster

Index cards at 50yds with a handgun. A very humbling experience . You all take care.
Old November 27, 2009, 03:40 PM   #3
Ryder

Solo game -

The deer blinds (piles of logs) around here usually have an empty soda pop bottle or two laying in them. When squirrel hunting in September I'll twist off the caps and set them on top of the logs, back off 75 yards and shoot the bees that hover over them with my 22 magnum. They are attracted by the sugar in the cap and I am allergic to bees so it is quite gratifying when I see all those bee parts scattered around
Old November 27, 2009, 03:43 PM   #4
Drummer101

lollipops are fun to shoot with small caliber weapons.
Old November 27, 2009, 09:45 PM   #5
fastforty

Clay pigeons at 100 yards. They're about a dime apiece, take very little storage space, are bright orange & are biodegradable.
Old November 27, 2009, 09:59 PM   #6
jrothWA

Ah, the memories of..

NEECO wafer candies @ 15 ft with BB guns

Using the wrong colored thumbtack/push-pin ( any non-white) holding

50ft silhouette target to backer, then hearing the "fire at will" then watch your hung target float to the floor,becuase your "buddies" ganged up on you!!

Old trap shooting with old style "blue rocks" (made out of pitch) that some UNSCRUPULOUS joker soaked in used motor oil, that stays together after being "SMOKED!!

Deer camp, with a junior deer hunter ( aka first-timer, greenhorn) and "shooting the moon" at midnight!
Old November 27, 2009, 10:04 PM   #7
smee78

Items needed for gun golf,
golf tees or used shotgun hulls
old golf balls found or gotten for free

Go out to x distance, place tee or empty hull out and place golf ball on top of tee or empty hull. Shoot for distance, shoot for direction, shoot the other guys balls first, many games you can play with this.