The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > NFA Guns and Gear

Old August 15, 2009, 02:44 PM   #1
reaper715

Sig Mosquito and subsonic ammo?

Hi all,
I am looking for experience with the mosquito and remington green box subsonic ammo. I have a Walther P22 that I use my AAC Pilot on but it is a little small for my hand. The Mosquito is bigger but I heard it had reliability issue with subsonic ammo. anybody have experience with this combo. I would hate to buy one to use with my suppressor and it not function correctly.

Thanx
Old August 15, 2009, 04:53 PM   #2
chris in va

I don't personally have a Mosquito but more than a few posters have reported better firing with hotter rounds like the MiniMags or Velocitors.

I would highly recommend the CZ Kadet for your application. Mine has been fantastic, shoots anything I can find. Very accurate too with it's fixed barrel.
Old August 17, 2009, 02:26 PM   #3
WoofersInc

I have a Mosquito and am using a Gemtech Outback II on it. It runs perfectly fine with the Remington Subsonics for me. The Mosquito comes with 2 different recoil springs for different bullet velocities. I am using the lighter spring with the suppressor. In fact my Mosquito has never been shot without the suppressor on it. I have only had a few misfeeds when it was brand new but now it is running great.
Old August 18, 2009, 07:04 AM   #4
paull

Ditto on the Mosquito used with the lighter spring.
I also have the AAC Pilot on the end, runs fine with Rem SS.
p
Old August 18, 2009, 11:22 PM   #5
smee78

Funny that this was brought up, I to am looking at getting either a Walther p22 or a sig mosquito for my suppersor and wanted to know about both guns and now this thread comes up. I will be following this thread because I to heard that the Sig liked the more powerful rounds as well. I cant wait and see how this plays out.
Old August 19, 2009, 12:16 PM   #6
reaper715

As far as the Walther goes mine has been flawless. I rarely shoot it without the can and I have had it for 4 years or so. The only drawback is the ammo makes it really dirty but I clean mine every couple of hundred rounds and it has worked fine. It is a nice little gun but that is the problem, it is little. I have huge mongoloid hands, 6'6" 270#, and it is just a little on the small size for me. The Mosquito is bigger and felt more comfortable to me but the guy at my gunshop, also a good friend of mine, got one when they came out and said he got rid of his because it was very picky when it came to ammo, only high velocity stuff. With this in mind I only assumed it would not function correctly with subsonic ammo. That was a year or so ago and I was just wondering if they have improved it and worked the bugs out.

Thanks all for the information. might have to pick one up and try it. if it doesn't work then i will at least have something else to shoot instead of using my ammo surplus up.

anybody know if they come standard with the thread adapter installed or is it an aftermarket part I have to buy like I did with the Walther?
Old August 19, 2009, 10:02 PM   #7
seant

I don't think that I would worry too much about using only subsonic ammo. Most 22 ammo out of a short 22 pistol barrel never goes super sonic. I shoot minimags through mine without a sonic crack.

I save my subsonic rounds for my bolt action set up.
Old August 19, 2009, 10:06 PM   #8
seant

The mosqueto comes threaded with an unusual thread pitch. You can get an adaptor to get it to work with standard 1/2x28.
Old August 20, 2009, 12:50 AM   #9
reaper715

thanx for the info