The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > NFA Guns and Gear

Old October 3, 2002, 09:06 AM   #1
Selfdfenz

Suggestions

I have never fired a full auto firearm however I have a shooting pal that just began the process/paperwork for getting an automatic MAC and it's got me thinking.
For those of you that have knowledege in this area what is a good starter gun. It will have to be a 9mm as I could never afford to shoot anything else.
Is it a MAC, a STEN or what?
I have seen a 45 cal model that I believe was made after a S&W design that looks neat but have no idea what its called.
Thompsons and AR just seem to far out of my budget for now.

The other dream gun project would be an accurate, suppressed semi-auto 22 rifle. But if I had to go with a bolt gun to get accuracy I'd do that. What platforsm work. Are A. Ceiner's good products.
Any suggestions you might have in this area would also be appreciated. Especially in the $$ department.
I'm doing some study of my own but I value input from TFLers bigtime.
Thanks in advance.

S-
Old October 3, 2002, 02:15 PM   #2
Sleuth

Bewteen the MAC and STEN, I would get the STEN. The rate of fire of the MAC is too high, although some folks have worked up slow fire conversions.
For a supressed .22, lots of folks make Ruger 10/22's that are both accurate & silent. Check over at subguns.com, and subscribe to Small Arms Review magazine.
Old October 3, 2002, 06:08 PM   #3
Hkmp5sd

Before buying a machinegun, I would suggest you visit one of the ranges that let you rent full auto guns and try a few different ones. Due to the high cost and paperwork hassles just to buy one, you don't want to go into it blind.

You can still get M11/9's (9mm version of the Mac-10 made by Cobray) for around $1K. Unfortunately, they have a high cyclic rate and are difficult to shoot accurately.

NRA Life Member
Old October 3, 2002, 09:37 PM   #4
ACP230

The .45 that looks like a S&W was probably the Stemple 76/45.
I haven't been impressed with the MACs I've shot.
I'd much rather have a Madsen M50, a STEn, or a Smith M76, if I had a choice. They all cost a lot more than MACs, however.
Old October 3, 2002, 09:53 PM   #5
KSFreeman

STEN.
Old October 5, 2002, 03:07 PM   #6
Selfdfenz

Thanks All,
The range visit was already on the to do list.
I will start looking for info on all the models mentioned. For some reason the STEN has a cool factor in my book. Maybe its because they are WWII vintage. The other models from that period, M3, Thompson, MPXX are just out of my $ range. The STEN I could afford. I'm still going to look into the Stemple.
Expect more questions later.
Thanks again.
S-
Old October 8, 2002, 07:33 AM   #7
AK103K

I think Hkmp5sd has the right idea. You should try out as many different types as you can. The STEN is a fun gun and a good shooter. Dont let the MAC's intimidate you, with the right tecnique, you can easily keep a full mag on a IPSC target at 15 yards in one burst.(not something you do all the time, but it does show the ney sayers it can easily be done) As long as you get good mags for them, they too are a fun gun, and the price is right. Start hanging out at the ranges where these boys shoot. Most will let you give it a try and answer any questions you might have.
Old October 12, 2002, 06:01 AM   #8
Schmit
Staff Alumnus

As for an accurate suppressed .22 the best platform would be a Ruger.

Most suppressor manufacturers already make them. Check out AWC System Technoligies for one.

Another option would be (if you already have a pre-ban AR) is to get a .223 suppressor for that and then get a .22 Convirsion kit for the AR. Works great... take my word on it.

"Notoriety is fleeting,
Anonymity is forever!"