The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

View Poll Results: Which of these 3, especially considering reliability, for carry?
Kahr PM9 (9mm) 67 51.54%
Springfield XD Subcompact (9mm or .40) 23 17.69%
Colt New Agent (.45) 40 30.77%
Voters: 130. You may not vote on this poll

Old September 9, 2011, 05:16 AM   #51
spodwo

Nothing slim about an XD and nothing small about the .45. PM9. Mine is addictive. I seem to shoot it twice as much as any other handgun. I just like the way it feels, shoots. I read the negatives and was concerned at first. Plus I think 200 round "break in" periods are BS. But mine? No issues at ALL shooting Wally World cheap ammo: WWB, Tula and Federal.

Probably close to 700 rounds now and not one issue.
Old September 9, 2011, 05:20 AM   #52
hawk727

I carry a mk9 stainless during summer months. It is small & thin and I have never had a problem with it. Probably has 800-900 rounds through it.
Old September 9, 2011, 05:29 AM   #53
Sparks1957

I'm a big fan of my Kahr CW9. I've had mine a couple months now, and it has about 500 rounds without a hitch. Every machine has some degree of break-in, whether anyone wants to admit or not. Clean/lube your Kahr when you get it, rack the slide a few hundred times, and run it wet at the range... they settle in nicely if one does that.

I'm also a fan of the S&W 3900 (3914, 3914, 3906, 3954, 908) series. I carried a 3913 for years... extremely small and concealable back before subcompact 9s came into fashion.
Old September 9, 2011, 09:19 AM   #54
Elliottsdad

Thanks for all your advice so far! Lots of votes for the Kahr. I'm almost a little bummed the Springfield (although thicker) got the least votes- because it would be easiest on my wallet! What if I were to add value to the question?

I read a little about the PPS many reccomended, and am now considering that as well. Are there any other models out there that should be added to this list?
Old September 9, 2011, 10:00 AM   #55
TheJ

If money is that much of a concern then I would just go for the Cm9 instead of the pm. Almost the same for considerably less.
Old September 9, 2011, 11:28 AM   #56
spodwo

Quote:
I read a little about the PPS many reccomended, and am now considering that as well. Are there any other models out there that should be added to this list
Well - I always liked that PPS except for this....some said it was a weakness in the design. The thread below kind of turned me off to them.

http://thefiringline.com/forums/show...&highlight=pps

Now - I read some bad things about the Kahrs also but still bought one.
Old September 9, 2011, 12:27 PM   #57
TCL

Have you been to The Bullet Hole? They have a bunch of rental pistols - not sure if they have these three, but worth checking if you haven't been over there.

How much is weather really a factor? I didn't consider it at all when choosing my CCW, but then again I don't think of Omaha summers as being particularly hot or humid. At any rate, I carry a full-size 1911 and it hasn't bothered me this summer; I haven't carried it in winter yet but I don't think the cold should pose any particular difficulty.
Old September 9, 2011, 01:01 PM   #58
Big V

I also like the older Walther PPK/s. I don't know if it was mentioned but they are very slim and very reliable. Also again it may have already been mentioned but Colt is about to reintroduce the Mustang. That is worth looking into only its single action only. The good thing about the Walther is its double action, the bad thing about the Walther is its aversion to some hollow points. I live in the south and man it gets hot.... on summer days I carry a Kel Tec p32 its small thin and very light. But believe me when that little pistol starts to bark it will get em off you quick, fast and in a hurry. JMHO

Glad to be here.
Old September 9, 2011, 01:13 PM   #59
Big V

I'm looking at the pistol models you posted and see that you have 9mm,40cal., and 45 acp. A really nice 45 out right now is made by Para- Ordnance I don't remember the model number but it a compact 45 acp with double action and I think it has a double stack mag. I don't own one but I was very close to getting one. I have a Springfield EMP 9mm that I use as a CCW very nice pistol. If I didn't already own the EMP I would be taking a serious look at the Para- Ordnance. JMO

Did I say how glad I am to be here!
Old September 9, 2011, 01:30 PM   #60
dalegribble

not one of the three guns listed but i have a taurus model 709 slim that i like very much. it is a single stack 9mm about as thick as a deck of cards. it works well and has good combat accuracy.
Old September 9, 2011, 01:43 PM   #61
MJ45

Quote:
Since when is a Glock thin?

Does Glock make a Glock that I don't know about?

Are we saying a Glock is thin compared to a Deseart Eagle .50 AE ??? A Glock is thin compared to Roseann Barr ?

How is a Glock thin?
C0untZer0 is offline Report Post

check out the dimensions for width, appears to me the g36 is thinner. besides i said it would be MY choice. it's a good knock around gun, easy to hold when your hands are wet or cold, tough finish, not much to break on it.
Old September 9, 2011, 02:08 PM   #62
Big V

The one thing you want most of all is reliability in a C/C pistol. It has to work every time. Cost should not matter. I have very expensive and very inexpensive pistols and the one criteria is that they have to hit point of aim and utterly reliable. IMO

I just saved a ton of money on my insurance!
Old September 11, 2011, 04:53 PM   #63
tomwalshco

PM9, hands down. A mm here and a few ozs there makes a big difference lugging that thing around all day. I have a Colt Defender and love it, but for carry, who has time for fussing with safeties, triggers, et al. XD subcompact? maybe compared to a Desert Eagle. G36 is smaller. I got one of them, too and will carry it when I'm all bundled up in the winter....
Old September 11, 2011, 09:18 PM   #64
jimbob86

Quote:
I also like the older Walther PPK/s. I don't know if it was mentioned but they are very slim and very reliable.
I've only seen one in the wild (not in a glass display case) and it was choking like a goose trying to swallow a grapefruit.
Old September 12, 2011, 02:09 PM   #65
Big V

I have a Walther PPK/s that is very reliable. Honestly I enjoy carrying it the most. I find it very reliable. I have it loaded with some powerball ammo and it is very reliable. This is one that was made in Germany and imported by Interarms.
Old September 12, 2011, 03:36 PM   #66
vyse.04

Quote:
If money is that much of a concern then I would just go for the Cm9 instead of the pm. Almost the same for considerably less.
This... You can find CM9s for less than XDs as well. Google the differences between a PM9 and CM9. Not a whole lot aside from traditional barrel and less machining on the CM.

Tags
carry , pistol , slim , small