The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Old February 7, 2005, 05:27 PM   #1
MoW

Any Smart Carry users out there?

First off, I'm in Florida so it's mostly shorts and shirt at most. Next I'm considering a SIG 228, 229 or 239 for CCW. I have a few questions. Do any of you carry this or a similar size gun with the Smart Carry? 3lbs(with ammo) seems heavy for that area. Is it at all comfortable?
I have read some posts claiming that the P228 is not a good gun for Florida or humid weather--would a 229 be better? Lastly, how do you handle the situation when entering and driving a car-----can that be comfortable, and how would you access the gun from a seated position. Thanks for any help.
Old February 7, 2005, 06:07 PM   #2
mvpel

I carry a Glock 30 with a spare 13-round magazine every time I leave the house. It takes some getting-used-to to avoid rather unpleasant pinches, but it's an extremely discreet method of carry.
1 Samuel 13:19
Old February 7, 2005, 06:33 PM   #3
OH_FFL

Get yourself a Sig P239. I bought one for myself and think it will work perfect for summer CCW. Easy to conceal, powerful, accurate and high quality. I bought mine in 9mm (2-tone), but they are also available in .40 cal & .357 sig
I can honestly say this one is worth the $$.
Old February 7, 2005, 06:45 PM   #4
MoW

Oh Ffl

the P239 is definately on my short list of SIG's for CCW---my only question is that alot of people tell me that you might as well go with a 228 or 229(not much of a size or weight increase), next I'm a decent size guy at 6'2" and about 205, so I'm not sure about the size of the 239 vs the others:

Positive 239---best of SIG's for CCW size
available in many caliber
thinner handle
soon to be released in satin nikel

Negative---doesn't handle as well as the 228
fewer rounds then 229

just have to decide if the 1/2" less in length and .2 in width is worth the less rounds of a 228 or 229 for a guy my size.
Overall though, I'm just wondering if a 239, 228 or 229 is really that comfortable to carry in Smart Carry(as many portray) ?
Old February 7, 2005, 08:16 PM   #5
Erich

I own a medium SmartCarry security model (two ambi equal sized pockets and a money pocket behind) and a SIG-Sauer P228. I don't carry the P228 in the SmartCarry, since I find it to be a bit too large. It's not much bigger than my Glock 36, which works okay, but it's notably thicker.

It might work for you, but it doesn't really for me (5'9", c. 170 lbs).
Old February 7, 2005, 08:47 PM   #6
OH_FFL

Works for me

I guess whatever fit you the best is what you'll carry. I love my Sig P239 for most applications. I also have a Sig P220 ST and a Beretta 92F. I have carried them all, and I think the 239 is the most comfortable for me. Hey we are all different, go with what works for you.
Old February 7, 2005, 11:17 PM   #7
XavierBreath

I use a SmartCarry as one of my carry options. In a car, I have the gun out of the holster. Because of this in and out of the gun as I make my rounds, I prefer a gun with a mechanical safety, like a 1911 in the SmartCarry.

At first the SmartCarry is a bit heavy, but it is centered and supported well. It can build up your lower back muscles if you are weak in that area. The SmartCarry is impervious to sweat, a consideration in Florida as well as Louisiana. If you are seated with it, you learn to sit where it is comfortable. Each pistol will have a different position. Obviously, a dehorning helps. Like any gun on your hip or wallet in your pocket, you grow used to it.

I use the SmartCarry when I feel the need for more than a pocket carry gun, but cannot wear a cover garment. I have never been made with it.
Old February 7, 2005, 11:28 PM   #8
TheBluesMan
Moderator Emeritus

I use a Smart Carry holster to tote my Taurus PT145. It is great for deep concealment, and it isn't all that uncomfortable either. My Makarov also disappears when carried in the Smart Carry. For me, it was a good investment.

-Dave
Tick-off Obama - Join the NRA Today - Save $10
Old February 8, 2005, 07:03 AM   #9
Nanuk

I tried one, with everything from a PPK, J-frame, compact 45. It looked like I was packing wood or had a colostomy bag.
Old February 8, 2005, 08:35 AM   #10
aimy

A friend asked me if I was pregnant. I've been carrying this 'extra weight' for years and thought no one noticed! I just said I wasn't sure but think I did feel it kicking the other day.
Old February 8, 2005, 01:53 PM   #11
PaulBk

I occiasionally use SmartCarry when dress or circumstances won't allow IWB. Even with a baby Glock or Walther P22 I find it somewhat difficult to get used to. Not impossible, just a little weird. The J frame is a little easier for me, due to the rounded shape.

-PB