The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: General Handgun Forum

Closed Thread

Old January 18, 2015, 05:26 PM   #76
gbclarkson

Small sample size but I have owned 3 Taurus revolvers and have had no problematic issues with any. My model 94 in 22lr is my most common range gun and my 44 spl ultra lite is my frequent choice for the car console. I have traded an HK USP because of unresolved reliability issues. Every company, even HK, will churn a lemon out of production. A Taurus is probably more likely to have mechanical flaws than HK but not to the extent that deserves the Internet brand bashing that is perceived by many.
Old January 18, 2015, 05:30 PM   #77
JohnKSa
Staff

A general warning and notice.

This is about Taurus guns. If you want to talk about Taurus owners, Taurus haters, Taurus bashers, cool kids, trolls, stuck up nerds, or anything other than Taurus guns you can find another forum and start your a thread there.

The namecalling--even general insults cast wide (or in either direction)--is over in this thread.

This thread is a discussion/debate/exchange of opinions about Taurus products on their own merits (or faults, as the case may be). If it can not progress without the participants having to insult those who like, favor, prefer, own Taurus products or those who do not like, do not favor, do not prefer, or do not own Taurus products then steps will be taken to insure that the proper focus is maintained.
Old January 18, 2015, 05:59 PM   #78
Doug S

Okay, just the facts...my distaste of Taurus firearms comes from nothing other than negative experiences of buying 7 new Taurus firearms, 5 of which had problems. Each time I sent one back to Taurus it took well over a month to get it back. I have bought quite a few firearms from other companies, such as S&W, Ruger, Glock, etc., and none of them ever gave me any kind of trouble like Taurus.

Last edited by Doug S; January 18, 2015 at 06:05 PM.
Old January 18, 2015, 06:15 PM   #79
jaytothekizzay

My PT145 was a 3rd gen. Two tone desert tan frame with blue slide. Good lookin gun snd 100% reliable through thousands of rounds. I regret selling it, but I needed cash at the time
Old January 18, 2015, 07:58 PM   #80
johnwilliamson062

I like some of their designs.

Their QC seems to be all over the place.

There are way too many anecdotes of people sending guns back for warranty work multiple times without a resolution for me to be interested in purchasing one.
Old January 18, 2015, 08:16 PM   #81
Cheapshooter

Quote:
There are way too many anecdotes of people sending guns back for warranty work multiple times without a resolution
How many are there? How many are reverberated stories of some that occurred? There is no way of knowing.
I can certainly see if someone fears getting a Taurus as their one and only SD firearm that they can be scared off by all the negative talk. Substantiated, or not.
Cheapshooter's rules of gun ownership #1: NEVER SELL OR TRADE ANYTHING!
Old January 18, 2015, 08:37 PM   #82
deerslayer303

The ONLY reason I'm hating on my Taurus is there are NO magazines available for them. So buy one that comes with TWO mags or buy another brand. Other than that my TCP ROCKS!
Old January 19, 2015, 12:08 AM   #83
Nakanokalronin

I've handled more of their revolvers than I can count that have gradual play between one cylinder notch to the next and many with timing issues and lead shavings on the cone from test firing at the factory.

Their semi-autos are spotty at best and yes I've owned a couple Taurus semi-autos and revolvers as well where I don't even consider the brand anymore. The PT92 can be an exception due to originally being made on Beretta machinery and schematics. I have a Rossi 92 because of the low price and it works and is accurate, but it's nothing compared to the higher end lever actions I've owned.

Bottom line is Taurus sells mainly due to the low price. Low round count shooters love them although I had many issues with the PT1911 I used to own right off the bat which is also the last Taurus I willingly wasted money on.

Last edited by Nakanokalronin; January 19, 2015 at 08:03 AM.
Old January 19, 2015, 09:13 AM   #84
imp

I have owned and would purchase another Taurus revolver, as long as I could inspect it before putting cash on the table. The ones I have shot were accurate and reliable, and significantly less expensive than a S&W.

The autos maybe good too, but I don't know. They are NOT significantly less expensive than many of their competitors, and with the reputation they have, I would not be willing to risk my money on one.
Old January 19, 2015, 09:51 AM   #85
afone1

I keep reading people's posts about Taurus "low price". I don't see them listed as cheaper than other manufacturers. Some Taurus models are even higher than others comparable models.
Old January 19, 2015, 10:03 AM   #86
SaxonPig

I also had a Model 94 revolver for many years. Looked good and never gave me any trouble. Found a good deal on a Model 18 Smith and sold it.
Old January 19, 2015, 10:42 AM   #87
Nakanokalronin

Quote:
I keep reading people's posts about Taurus "low price". I don't see them listed as cheaper than other manufacturers. Some Taurus models are even higher than others comparable models.
Post the similar models from the same dealer you're talking about.
Old January 19, 2015, 11:11 AM   #88
10Ringmagic

The only Taurus product I have ever owned is the TCP 738, I still own it. It has been a reliable little pistol that occasionally gets carried by itself for a quick trip, when nothing else is convenient to conceal.

Most times these days, it gets carried as a BUG because it so easy to carry.

Edited to add:
I just wish I could find a spare mag for it.

Last edited by 10Ringmagic; January 19, 2015 at 11:38 AM.
Old January 19, 2015, 11:39 AM   #89
wingman

Quote:
The ONLY reason I'm hating on my Taurus is there are NO magazines available for them. So buy one that comes with TWO mags or buy another brand. Other than that my TCP ROCKS!
Same here I own two Taurus auto's both have been flawless but magazines are difficult to obtain. I believe they produce two many models rather then improving base models.
Old January 19, 2015, 12:03 PM   #90
deerslayer303

Very true wingman!
Old January 19, 2015, 12:07 PM   #91
Evil Monkey

Quote:
believe they produce two many models rather then improving base models.
Exactly. I've said that as well. Any company that has a product for everybody and their grandma is to be questioned terms of quality and product support.
BREAKING NEWS: Local man found in the street yelling "1911" and "45" while drooling, more at 11:00.
Old January 19, 2015, 03:51 PM   #92
98 220 swift

I had a model 94 9 shot 22lr revolver. The quality control on it was terrible. The machining in the cylinder and forcing cone was very rough. So rough that it would lead so badly you could not see the rifling anymore after about 100 rounds. At that point it would key hole. At least one of the clyinders was off as it would spit lead. The forcing cone was so large you could stick a 7mm bullet in it. The double action was terrible when I got it. I did some work and made it useable. The single was ok. The bad thing is it was accurate when clean. I don't know how. I sold it to a friend that knew of the problems. He liked shooting it. To be honest I liked the gun hated the low quality. I could have sent it back but after hearing all the bad reviews on their service I did not. I will not buy another Taurus after seeing how something like that can make it out of the factory. OH how I wish S&W would make a j frame snub nosed 22 with decent adj sights for the price of the 442 etc.
Old January 20, 2015, 06:11 PM   #93
ranger56528

I don't own any Taurus semi autos due to the fact I'm a long time Glock 9mm guy so I can't comment on those but I did buy a Raging Bull 44 mag a few weeks ago because I liked the size and weight,I had a 629 about 15 yrs ago and didn't like it so I let the 44 mag go and stayed with the 38/357 then I bought a 1894 44mag not to long ago and wanted a wheel gun to go with it so along comes this Raging Bull in 44 mag,did a lot of reading and reserch and decided to buy one,I now have 200 rounds of AE 240gr through it with out as much as a burp,sure the double latch took a bit to get used to but it's much nicer to shoot then the 629 in my book just because of the weight mostly so I can't say anything negative about Taurus all I can say is my 44 is a nice revolver and shoots fine,my other revolvers are Ruger and I do have a older Rossi stub nose 357 that's a nice shooter for what it is.
Did I mention that my wife's,dads,brothers,uncles wife's brother in law knew a guy that didn't like the #%€£¥{} so it must be junk right......
Just the fact sir just the facts.
Old January 21, 2015, 03:58 PM   #94
45_auto

Now that's impressive, I don't care what brand it is. Any one committed enough to write a single 194 word sentence about their gun must REALLY like it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranger56528
I don't own any Taurus semi autos due to the fact I'm a long time Glock 9mm guy so I can't comment on those but I did buy a Raging Bull 44 mag a few weeks ago because I liked the size and weight,I had a 629 about 15 yrs ago and didn't like it so I let the 44 mag go and stayed with the 38/357 then I bought a 1894 44mag not to long ago and wanted a wheel gun to go with it so along comes this Raging Bull in 44 mag,did a lot of reading and reserch and decided to buy one,I now have 200 rounds of AE 240gr through it with out as much as a burp,sure the double latch took a bit to get used to but it's much nicer to shoot then the 629 in my book just because of the weight mostly so I can't say anything negative about Taurus all I can say is my 44 is a nice revolver and shoots fine,my other revolvers are Ruger and I do have a older Rossi stub nose 357 that's a nice shooter for what it is.
Old January 21, 2015, 04:28 PM   #95
Magnum Wheel Man

I honestly don't understand the "hate" I've had issues with both S&W & Ruger... a brand new unfired S&W revolver that had to go back 3 times before by their own accord, it was safe to shoot, each time the serious problem was not addressed... the last time I went to my local dealer who had me talk to the area sales rep, who attached a personal note to the gun... the last time it came back, it was perfect... but in all honesty, if that had been a Taurus, the forum would have been screaming bloody murder... since it was a S&W... all I heard, was that S&W would make it right... in the mean time I spent near $1000.00 & was not able to fire the gun for around 6 months...

... Ruger is known for having tight chamber throats on many of their single action revolvers... my last stainless Blackhawk had too much wiggle in the cylinder from the factory...

I'm not a huge Taurus fan ( I own 3, 2 revolvers & 1 TCP ) & I've never had to send one back yet... but even if I did, the price is 1/3 the cost of S&W, & 1/2 the cost of Ruger... I put Taurus in the same class as Charter Arms & similar companies, & slightly better than High Point... & I know people who have & love both those brands
Old January 21, 2015, 04:58 PM   #96
Marty8613

My Taurus experience.

My son bought a PT840C that shot 3" low at 7 yards out of the box.... which resolved itself after about 200 rounds.
He ended up not liking that it took that much to get it working right and sold it to a friend of mine, who is very happy with it. I personally do not like the really tall sights for a carry gun.

I bought a 1987 model M85SS that I am very pleased with ($250 was a good price). It goes with me on quick trips or if I need to dress up (weddings/funerals). The kicker? The sellertwas pulling a fast one, the gun looked like the bore was bad (I assume based on price, he didn't say anything, but I saw a problem), but it was just leaded up from reloads. It cost me nothing at all to fix this one.

I haven't been burned yet, but the LGS by my wife's work has a Gen2 PT111 for $199. I might just take that deal, but have been holding off since Taurus reputation is so low on the forums. Maybe this is the one that burns me...maybe not.
Old January 21, 2015, 06:40 PM   #97
Metalboy

I have a Taurus 66 7rd. .357 magnum. Never fired it (yet), and I do NOT hate it.
Old January 21, 2015, 07:47 PM   #98
Nakanokalronin

Like I said earlier, a lot of low round count guns being praised.
Old January 22, 2015, 07:57 AM   #99
Magnum Wheel Man

Quote:
Like I said earlier, a lot of low round count guns being praised.
as said... I only have a couple... & both my revolvers have now been customized... my 1st Taurus was a Tracker 4" 22 Magnum stainless that I bought probably 30 years ago... after at least 1000 rounds of trouble free use ( well OK the red plastic insert broke off the front site ) the gun was converted to center fire, & now shoots a center fire 22 based between the old Velo-dog cartridge & the 22 magnum, with a little Cooper center fire magnum thrown in... I figured since it had around a 1000 rounds through it, it was reliable enough to use for this custom... 2nd revolver a Raging Hornet, in 22 Hornet, I bought about 20 years ago... also a stainless gun... had about 1000 trouble free miles on it, when I decided to do something about the 10" full underlug barrel, with only the little 22 caliber bore ( it was extremely muzzle heavy )... so I grafted a 6" Dan Wesson barrel shroud on the gun along with a custom barrel with a 1 in 9" twist rate... this allows me to shoot up to 68 grain bullets in the lil 22 Hornet case... again, still loving the gun... 3rd Taurus was my lil TCP... I bought it 5 years ago, as I had started rollerblading when I turned 50, & was looking for something that could get sweaty, & at the same time, wouldn't cost me much if I fell on my butt & broke it... the day I purchased the TCP, I was able to dry fire at least a dozen of "the regulars" & found the TCP's trigger leaps & bounds better than the rest... also noticed it was made in the USA... I bought the stainless slide version for less than $200.00... the TCP, probably only has around 500 rounds through it right now, but it's been pretty much stuck to my hip for the last 5 years, it has killed numerous skunks & raccoons, though it's not ideal for that kind of use, it gets shot regularly, & functions perfectly, even though it is often embarrassingly stuffed with cover garment lint ( shooting the farm varmints is a good excuse to clean the gun ) BTW... I thought I read somewhere that there was a shooting range that claims their TCP was lasting longer than all their other compact 380's

Last edited by Magnum Wheel Man; January 22, 2015 at 08:05 AM.
Old January 22, 2015, 08:39 AM   #100
SBH

I have no personal knowledge of them but a few people that I have shot with end up trading them off.
Closed Thread