The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old June 14, 2000, 10:52 PM   #1
Glamdring

Make it simple for me. I want to start reloading. Have $300 to start with and another $300 in another 3 to 4 months. Will only be loading 44 mag/specials and 308 (bolt gun) for now.

Looking at Speer's 44 spec 200 GDHP amd 44 mag 24 GDHP for the 44. And Nosler BT and partions for the 308 (probably the 150 grainers--it likes federal premium 150 BT).

I have several loading manuals already (speer, barnes, and vihtavuori oy). But would like some advice for one or two powders for each--just as a starting point. Not looking for max loads right. Want something easy and forgiving to start with.
Old June 14, 2000, 11:39 PM   #2
Art Eatman
Staff in Memoriam

I'm partial to the RCBS "O" press. Good used is as good as brand new. Absent a bunch of rust or abuse, they just don't wear out.

As for brand of loading dies, I've gotten to where I judge on little stuff like how the locking-rings lock. Running a screw into the threads of the die is stupid; a clamping-type deal is vastly more intelligent. And in a set of Lee dies, there's no provision at all to lock the ring to the die! Stoopid! From what I'm seeing on new rifle dies, my "advice" is to look for some around 20 or 30 years old. A wider range of adjustments. But buy one of the new clamp-type locking rings; you'll have the best of both worlds.

See, if you can lock the adjustment ring "just so", you can take the die out of the press and return later, to just exactly where you were before. Load some .308, load some .44, later go load some more .308--you get the picture.

I've had new and used powder scales of various brands. Ain't a nickel's worth of difference. Get a powder measure for the pistol loads; it's a lot quicker. If you're not loading to the max on the .308, you can use the powder measure there, too. (I have a personal "thing" against using a powder measure for max loads in rifles. Some folks don't. Opinions and unmentionables and all that. )

There's a ton of good info in current threads, here.

A good plinker load in the .44 Maggie involves around six grains of 231 and the bullet of your choice. I've seen many posts, here, speaking of 4895 in the .308...

Browse this forum, okay?

Nuff fer now, Art
Old June 15, 2000, 04:24 AM   #3
Ala Dan
Member in memoriam

Greetings, I think I am going to try a 215 grain cast LSWC bullet over 6.0 grains of
Universal Clay's; in my S&W model 629 Classic. It should be right around 800 fps
from it's 5" tube?

Regards,
Ala Dan, N.R.A. Life Member
Old June 15, 2000, 06:11 AM   #4
Fred S

Go with a Dillon 550B. You will not regret it. I got one as my first press and learned how to reload on it. Some will say beginners should start on a single stage press but i don't buy that. Dillon is high quality and you get what you pay for. Thier customer service is top notch.

Old June 15, 2000, 10:45 AM   #5
WINTERVILLE WILL

Mr. Moderator...if you can't make the Lee lock rings work, either you haven't read the instructions or just aren't doing it correctly! When adjusted correctly and TIGHTENED DOWN, Lee dies will not move. To remove them from the press, move the die by the RING ONLY. Your settings will not be disturbed.I never have figured out how a die will move under normal loading conditions anyway. Lee makes the best finished, easiest to use dies in the business IMHO.
Old June 15, 2000, 11:06 AM   #6
Nukem

I only have one set of Lee dies (collet neck sizer) for my 300 Winmag and the loads are way more accurate than from the RCBS FL die. They may be different but all I'm interested in is results. They just lack "snob appeal"
This isn't to be taken as an all inclusive endorsement of Lees products.
200m group
Old June 15, 2000, 10:03 PM   #7
Art Eatman
Staff in Memoriam

WINTERVILLE WILL: You're correct that the die won't move while loading. But that's not my point. Stuff gets handled or dropped or somebody comes along and says, "Hey, that's cute!" and "fiddles". Everybody gets the occasional case of Clumsy Carp, so I like to be able to adjust a die to my specs, lock it, and not have to worry.

RCBS makes a split locking ring, with an Allen screw tangent to the threads of the die. Best deal going, and it will fit any standard die's thread.

Just part of life's "insurance", along with LocTite, safety wire, or a CHL...

, Art
Old June 16, 2000, 07:30 AM   #8
WESHOOT2

Lyman Crusher 2 or RCBS.

For 44 Magnum suggest W296 for heavy loads, Hodgdon Universal Clays for everything else.

Finish with the superior Redding Profile Crimp die.

------------------
"All my ammo is factory ammo"

Old June 16, 2000, 01:02 PM   #9
Nekron

Just my opinion:

Press: Dillon RL550B (Dillon has dies, too)
.44 mag loads: W296 or H110
.44 spec. loads: w231 or Universal
.308 loads: Maybe Varget?

John

------------------
"America is at that awkward stage.
It's too late to work within the system,
but too early to start shooting the bastards."
--Claire Wolfe
Old June 16, 2000, 01:11 PM   #10
Eric of IN

Art,
Send your rings to me, and I'll put setscrew holes in them for you. We've got 4 machines dedicated to doing nothing but putting setscrews in things. Now would you like standard or metric, Hex key (commonly known as Allen) or Phillips, or slotted? If you've got an idea for a different kind of ring, send me a print, and I'll make it for you. Got 5 CNC machines, and 2 are idle right now due to shortages of work for them.
Eric

------------------
Formerly Puddle Pirate.
Teach a kid to shoot.
It annoys the antis.
Old June 16, 2000, 02:57 PM   #11
WINTERVILLE WILL

Boy! putting setscrews in Richard Lees' rings ought to make him mad! Think of all the engineering shot to hell.
Old June 16, 2000, 05:46 PM   #12
Art Eatman
Staff in Memoriam

Eric of IN: I'll email you. Thanx.
Old June 17, 2000, 09:05 AM   #13
Art Eatman
Staff in Memoriam

Eric: I've tried emailing; it keeps getting kicked back. Duh?

Art
Old June 17, 2000, 09:38 AM   #14
weegee

Nukem--fantastic group! You answered the question I've been wanting to ask, I.E., "Are those Lee collet dies as good as Lee says?" (the principle seemed very sound, but I'm an incurable skeptic. Well, seeing is believing!)(BTW, I probably will get the RCBS lock rings for 'em anyway.)

Details on the gun/load?
Old June 17, 2000, 12:41 PM   #15
Nukem

Weegee,

The gun's a custom Mod 70 .300 Winmag I did this winter (with much input from Gale before he left us) barrel is a 26" 1x10" stainless Douglas premium XX airguaged, beadblasted and Black T'd. Stock is McMillan A4 tactical, scope is a Leupold LRT 6.5X20X50 side focus. Jewell trigger is on order

Load is Rem case, primer-win WLRM, powder 72.0g IMR 4831 , bullet Sierra Matchking 180gr. hpbt.

Here's a so-so pic of the rifle300mag

If you just log onto photopoint and visit the album [email protected] you can browse them all. Lots of good pics of Knob Creek there that I've taken over the years. Click on the thumbnails to enlarge.
Old June 19, 2000, 03:22 AM   #16
weegee

Nukem, that thing is truly FINE! I'm envious, bigtime.

Thanks for the load info.