The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old January 30, 2010, 03:18 PM   #1
Six Shooter Steve

#@*^! Primers

Well after driving around to every gunshop within a 40 mile radius of the house, I was gettin the same ( Nope dont have any small pistol primers, dont know when Ill get them either) And then luck stumbled apon me! Went to a rather large gun and archery shop I had never been to and asked the owner if he had any, or new when he was gettin any? He said he gets 30,000 in a week, and ya signup on a list where you can buy up to 2000 a week, but the list this week was full. I said cool, I dont need but a 1000 right now and asked if I could signup for next weeks delivery. After shootin the breeze for a few minutes with him, he asked if it was my first time in, and I said yeah. He told me to have a look around the shop and he would go get me a 1000 out of his personal stash of primers and sell to me. So here I am now with a 1000 federal primers in hand. I thought that was pretty cool of him to do that, so I will definately visit his shop in the future.

{There is no problem that can't be solved by the use of high explosives}
Old January 30, 2010, 03:20 PM   #2
DiscoRacing

Thats sweet...Congrats.... I actually found four cases at wallytown last night... they havent had any at all since last spring.
Old January 30, 2010, 03:33 PM   #3
Six Shooter Steve

our wallyworlds around here dont carry powder or primers

Old January 30, 2010, 03:36 PM   #4
DiscoRacing

Its funny here... we have three separate ones within an hour... and two dont carry any reloading components at all... and one does...dont seem right to me... whats the diff from that one and the other two... I asked the managers there once...they said they can only sell what the Home Office says that they can.
Old January 30, 2010, 03:47 PM   #5
grumpa72

I learned to call in advance since availability is so sketchy. My local GS sells them in 500s only.
Old January 30, 2010, 03:57 PM   #6
Six Shooter Steve

Yeah glad I found this place, 30 bucks for a 1000 federal primers, better than nothin

Old January 30, 2010, 05:20 PM   #7
Jim243

Ya that was cool, it's called public relations and being a good business man. I'll bet he will get a LOT more business from you in the future. We need more people like that.

Jim
Old January 30, 2010, 06:38 PM   #8
more forty fives

Nice my kind of people.He would be my first stop from now on.
Old January 30, 2010, 07:48 PM   #9
Doodlebugger45

I've been keeping track of all the places that have treated me well during this crunch time of the last year and a half. I know there are a couple stores that won't admit to having any primers if you call them on the phone. Yet they have them if you show up in person. They said they had problems last summer with speculators calling all over the state, then buying up all they had in stock, only to sell them at gun shows the next week for double what they paid for them.

The primer situation is definitely getting better by the month where I live. Not every store has every type of primer, but if you have 3 or 4 good stores and check them regularly if you need something, you'll generally find them. Last week I was actually faced with a CHOICE of which BRAND of primer I wanted for Large Pistol primers. I couldn't believe it. I was so astounded that I actually had trouble making up my mind between Winchester, CCI, and Federal.
Old January 30, 2010, 08:19 PM   #10
Six Shooter Steve

Yes I agree on the good public relations, its hard to find anymore. he will definatly get my bussiness in the future. Just nice to see a guy help out someone he doesnt even know. I am a person who spends a few grand a year on new toys, and Im sure he will be surprised when I spend it there. Good choice on his part today

Old January 30, 2010, 08:29 PM   #11
45ACPete

#@*^!primers

Drove about 100 mi. today to a gun show, paid $5.00 parking, $10.00 admission, (and oh yeah, almost forgot a $4.00 bridge toll) to buy SP primers @ $35.00/1000. Bought 5000 and after wandering around for two hours (a small show) and really seeing nothing I couldn't live without, gave a second look at an older Marlin 39A. The seller said it needs a firing pin--price was $300. I took a chance--have owned two others that I let get away for one reason or another. All in all, a good day.
Old January 30, 2010, 08:39 PM   #12
oneounceload

Every store around here has every primer, every type of gun, bullets, powder, etc. Most are at prices that folks on this forum would scream about, but they are readily available
Old January 30, 2010, 09:21 PM   #13
Mark whiz

Good find Steve --- you're gonna have to hook me up with your "source".
!
Old January 30, 2010, 11:04 PM   #14
Hammonje

Get 10k primers and score them from Powder Valley. If you dilute the HazMat across ten bricks then the price is better than you can get locally. And they deliver.....

This false panic BS made me realize I need to stack my components back so I can focus on shooting and spending less time searching for primers, powder, and projectiles. The price of components has gone off the charts and I don't see them getting mch cheaper.
Old January 30, 2010, 11:42 PM   #15
DaveInPA

Man, I guess I live in an area without many reloaders. I have never been to either of my local shops and been told they were out of primers, not once.
Old January 30, 2010, 11:49 PM   #16
Doodlebugger45

Wow Dave. That's all I can say. I am currently working in your fine state. Where is this wonderful place? I want to visit with them and maybe see if they can ship to me! The HazMat thing is no big deal if they can get what I need when I need it. Things are pretty good back home for now, but it seems like it got that way last fall then deteriorated again for awhile.
Old January 31, 2010, 07:31 PM   #17
gearheadpyro

I've been on the small pistol primer hunt now for 4 months. Can't find the darn things anywhere. Yesterday I went to a gun show 100 miles away, none in the house. Hit every gun store between there and home on the way back, NONE.
I'm headed up to Charlotte next month and I'll scour every gun store there and see what I can come up with.
Old January 31, 2010, 07:37 PM   #18
Six Shooter Steve

Gearheadpyro, yeah I was just about to eat the extra 20 bucks for shipping when I found them. Truth be told, I have spent more than 20 bucks in gas driving around tryin to find the darn things haha

Old January 31, 2010, 07:54 PM   #19
speedracer211

I went up to my buddies house in the Poconos and priced out some of his dads guns that he had and was unfamiliar with. He has around 70 rifles. Well sure enough his dad brings out some reloading stuff and says I can take what I need. I got 800 cci small pistol primers for looking at his guns and giving him a ball park price on 3 of them.
Old January 31, 2010, 07:56 PM   #20
rayf268

what town did you find them steve. gander mnt. In fort wayne has them in stock don't recall the price but there ammo is high
Old January 31, 2010, 08:04 PM   #21
Six Shooter Steve

Found them in Wabash, its only about 15 minutes from me. Ftwayne is about a hour away. I have been tellin myself I have to get up there and checkout that Gander mountain store, drove by a few times but havent stopped yet

Old February 1, 2010, 06:22 AM   #22
MKD

I searched and found them for 5$ 100. Even at that price I would have bought what he had but he limited me to two packs because they were hard to come by and he wanted to have some for his other customers.