The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Semi-automatics

Old July 21, 2014, 02:26 PM   #1
dakota.potts

VZ. 2008 deal $399 at Palmetto State Armory

Just a deal I thought I'd share with you guys. A century VZ. 2008 with 5 magazines, bayonet, and cleaning kit for $399. Ground shipping is $17 (at least to my area) and after FFL fees I'm looking at almost exactly $450 taken home for mine.

Considering these rifles were going for almost $600 when I started looking early this year, I consider this to be a pretty good deal for anybody who's been curious about one. I have heard that Century has been a dice roll lately, but I also hear that their reputation is improving. Do your research and know what you're getting but the vast number of reviews about these seem to be pretty positive.

This is the first Evil Black Rifle I've seen at $400 in a long time. Might be a good sign.

http://palmettostatearmory.com/index...-ri1554-x.html
Old July 21, 2014, 07:16 PM   #2
barnbwt

Not only that, but we have got to be nearing the end of the parts kits to come from the Czechs. I only pray the deal lasts long enough for another paycheck or so, because I will be buying. I have a D-Technik already, but want a 'beater' VZ to experiment on; got me an idea for a belt-fed conversion that I need to feel out on a 'sacrificial' rifle that I won't mind making minor mods to.

They are basically superior to the AK in every measurable way, other than foregrip heat, and any of the available aftermarket grip options that are AR free float tube sized should relieve that complaint. Heck, they're even cheaper than the AK, now

TCB
Old July 21, 2014, 10:59 PM   #3
Bconaway1869

I ordered one on July 2nd. It took 2 weeks to ship to my FFL. $17 freight and $10 transfer have me in it at $427. Took it to the range and ran 150 rounds with no performance issues at all using Tull, Yugo surplus and Wolf.

CONS: the folding stock button is tight, I have been slowly working it loose with oil and elbow grease... It's getting there. The front hand guards get REALLY HOT after 60 rounds... Bring gloves.

PROS: Really light, points well, combat accurate, runs like a scalded dog and High value. With about $100 in accessories, I feel like I paid 299 for the rifle.

I was impressed enough to order a second one when PSA ran their free shipping special, so I will be into the second one for a whopping $410.00 whenever it gets shipped.

Deal of the year in my humble opinion.
Old July 22, 2014, 08:07 AM   #4
marine6680

I got one of these from PSA in Greenville.

I like it so far. I made a mini review thread here.

The heat is the only issue I could see with it. Need to do something to reduce it. But not looking to spend a lot on this rifle... I didn't get it to trick it out.

Mine had the tight stock folding button, but a quick disassembly and cleaning of the parts fixed the issue. It had grit in it from who knows when, being surplus parts. So now it works much better.

Last edited by marine6680; July 22, 2014 at 08:25 AM.