The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old March 3, 2007, 05:20 PM   #1
beaverguy

Adjusting trigger pull ???

I recently bought a Weatherby Vangaurd rifle. I was wondering if anyone could explain to me how to adjust the trigger pull. I know how on the 700 Remington but have never owned a Weatherby before.. Any help would greatly be appreciated..
Thanks
Old March 5, 2007, 01:23 PM   #2
Abstract

Just did a Google for "Howa trigger adjustment instructions," and came up with several hits. Concensus is that you only adjust the front screw, which will let you get the pull weight down to around 3#.
Old March 16, 2007, 03:25 PM   #3
Liquor

BeaverGuy;

Did you figure out how to adjust the trigger on the Vanguard? If so, how many turns (or fractions of a turn) did it take to get down to the lightest pull without screwing up the safety?

Liquor
Old March 16, 2007, 06:52 PM   #4
Harry Bonar

Howa Vanguard

Sir:
Liquor, is very savy - welcome to the forum!

As you decrease the sear engagement you move the trigger forward. But this is a "trigger-block" safety! This means that the face of the trigger must be stoned back until the safety pin will just block the triggers forward movement!
This is a very dangerous, note - "dangerous" trigger as all trigger blocking triggers are to modify!
"The safety on your rifle is located between your ears, and is adjustable by hitting it with a blunt object." So says A-Square manual and I agree.
Liquor is right and is testing our knowledge - because without without the modification of the front of the trigger - YOU HAVE NO SAFETY on this trigger!
And - WITH - the modification you also have a dangerous trigger.
Unless you have good insurance LEAVE IT ALONE!
Harry B.
Old March 16, 2007, 09:49 PM   #5
Abstract

Harry, with appropriate respect for your age and proclaimed gunsmithing skills, you don't know what the heck you're talking about! The screw in question reduces the trigger pull weight, by reducing the tension on the trigger return spring. Has absolutely nothing to do with engagement, as long as he doesn't go below 3# or so.

I've read your similar silliness about adjusting Remington triggers, the instructions for which were included with Remington rifles, many years ago.
Old March 17, 2007, 09:27 AM   #6
Harry Bonar

trigger

Sir:
Sorry I didn't specify that to get a good trigger on that rifle, usually, you must adjust engagement. And, when you do exactly what I said happens.
Very few triggers, on most all pistols and long guns, are adjustable by using the weight screw - you really need engagement adjusted.
Therefore, I'll stand on my post.
Have a good day.
Harry B.
Old March 17, 2007, 09:39 AM   #7
steve1589

The screw on the front of the trigger is for adjusting pull weight. The spring is so heavy that you might get a 1/2 pound off by adjusting the screw. You need to take that spring out and measure the o.d. of the spring. Look in Brownells catalog at the coil spring packs. you want a spring that is the same o.d. but a smaller diameter wire. You will need to order several different sizes. Also, order a trigger pull gauge. You want to cut the spring to the same lenght as the original. You have to keep trying different wire sizes until you get the pull weight you want. Then you use the screw to fine tune it. I would not go below 3 pounds. You do not stone anything just change the spring.
Old March 17, 2007, 05:19 PM   #8
Foxman

Without flaming anyone, Harry Bonar is right, if you need to ask the question you dont know enough to mess with it. Pay a few bucks get a gunsmith to do it right for you , then you will have no accidents or regrets.