The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old July 31, 2016, 06:11 PM   #1
armedleo

Question about MOS?

If this has already been asked I apologize.

So, could I get some feedback on a couple things:

1) how reliable are MOS pistols in terms of stability of a slide mounted optic?;
2) is this still evolving to where one should wait for more fine-tuning?;
3) is there a gun maker that has got it right?; and
4) is there any particular optic you guys recommend?

Thanks.
Old August 2, 2016, 01:04 AM   #2
snolden

As far as MOS, that is Glock and no they have not got it right yet. But you don't have to wait. Order a Glock receiver from whatever online retailer and then order you a slide from one source tactical. The problem with Glock is that the slides are not redesigned for the optic. They are allowing the sight mounting threads to go all the way through to the firing pin channel area. People are also experiencing issues with S&W and Springfield optic ready pistols.

I have two from OST and a combined 2500 rounds through them. Aside from a learning curve there is no downside. Getting co-witnessed sights mounted in there customary locations really really helps the transition. Trusting the dot over the sights takes even longer.

The two primary sights are the Trijicon RMR and the Deltapoint. Neither is perfect but at 1-2 ounces compromises have to be made. Both are HUGE, HUGE leaps ahead of iron sights.

It has been called the easy button and is. It turned me from a decent (5-6" groups) 25 yard shot into a 60-75 yard shooter in one range session. 10" groups at 100 yards came about two weeks later. I had planned to work slowly up from 25 to 50 and then on to 75 yard shooting over the course of a couple months. I bought 700 rounds of good carry ammo and had about 500 rounds left over after I attained my 75 yard goals.

I am not affiliated with one source or Suarez. A few other gunsmiths will mill your slide but they all mount the dot behind the rear sight. That really slows down both learning and using the red dot.

Dust and debris from normal carry will reduce usable range to about 60-70 yards but with a quick wipe of the shirt you are back to a 100 plus capability.
Old August 2, 2016, 11:40 AM   #3
armedleo

Thank you for your valuable input.
Old August 2, 2016, 12:16 PM   #4
Sharkbite

I bought one of the MOS G19's to see if i liked the concept. I do...but the MOS system has some serious flaws in terms of ruggedness and standing up to hard use.

I had 2 mounting plates break while teaching classes. Both time Glock sent me replacements free of charge, but thats not the point. Its a weak system.

I finally sent my gen3 G19 off to have the slide milled and that system is MUCH better. One source tactical (Gabe is a former FS instructor) did the work and it is superb.

I also have a S&W CORE with a RMR on it. That is a much better system then the MOS.

The MOS uses a thin plate the screws into the slide and then the reddot screws into the plate. VERY little screw bite into the plate because it is SO thin. And because its so thin WITH holes in it, its fragile.

The S&W CORE uses a plate to locate the reddot over the holes in the slide. So, the screws go thru the reddot.. Then THRU the plate and down into the slide. MUCH better mousetrap.
Old August 2, 2016, 04:05 PM   #5
armedleo

So, it seems like aside from getting a milled slide, the modular concept is inherently a weaker system and, therefore, unreliable.
Old August 2, 2016, 06:24 PM   #6
Sharkbite

I would NOT trust the MOS version. The M&P way is much better. The screws got straight thru the mounting adaptor and into the slide, just like a milled slide cut. Screws straight into the slide.
Old August 2, 2016, 06:33 PM   #7
armedleo

Understood. Thank you, sir.