The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old November 2, 2018, 04:35 PM   #1
TruthTellers

Need help with a load

I bought 250 bullets of Berry's 71 grain .32 ACP FMJ bullets when they were on sale earlier this year and loaded them into .32 H&R Mag with 4.5 grains of Unique.

My crimping die is a roll crimp, not a taper crimp, so I couldn't put much crimp on the bullet. My results were a lot of smoke, sooty cases, and bad accuracy.

What can I do to get these loads to shoot better? Do I need to buy and use a .32 ACP crimp die? Would a .32 ACP taper crimp die work with such a long case?
Old November 2, 2018, 04:50 PM   #2
reddog81

My Lee 32 ACP dies for some reason have a roll crimp. i have no idea how common this is but beware... However a very light roll crimp is basically the same as a taper crimp

My Lyman #48 shows 4.5 to be a starting load. I wonder if more would help get better case seal? What are the diameter of the bullets and the cylinder throats? Any idea on the bore diameter?

I've measured 32 ACP bullets and they range from .309 to .312 for jacketed. I imagine shooting .309 bullets through a revolver with a .312 throat and barrel is going to result in poor accuracy no matter what kind of crimp you use.
Old November 2, 2018, 05:47 PM   #3
TruthTellers

Quote:
Originally Posted by reddog81 View Post
My Lee 32 ACP dies for some reason have a roll crimp. i have no idea how common this is but beware... However a very light roll crimp is basically the same as a taper crimp

My Lyman #48 shows 4.5 to be a starting load. I wonder if more would help get better case seal? What are the diameter of the bullets and the cylinder throats? Any idea on the bore diameter?

I've measured 32 ACP bullets and they range from .309 to .312 for jacketed. I imagine shooting .309 bullets through a revolver with a .312 throat and barrel is going to result in poor accuracy no matter what kind of crimp you use.
Shooting them out of a Henry .327 Big Boy and I have no idea what groove diameter is for that, the .32 revolver I have is .3125-.313" and the bullets are .312.

IIRC, the bore diameter was .311 or .312. I have a round ball that was squibed in the revolver barrel last year, but don't know for sure what the groove diameter is.
Old November 2, 2018, 06:08 PM   #4
gwpercle

The 32 acp taper crimp die should work just fine with the 32 mag cases. A firm taper crimp should help with the burning. Unique needs some pressure to burn clean, insufficient crimp is probably causing the incomplete burn .

If shooting out of a rifle bump that charge up to 5.0 or 5.5 grains of Unique the extra pressure will help. I always had some incomplete burning with Unique when I went below 5.0 grains in handgun loads .

I use a 9mm Luger taper crimp die to load smooth sided cast bullets in both 38 special and 357 magnum. The shorter die and longer cases work like a charm....Go for it !
Gary
Old November 2, 2018, 06:27 PM   #5
TruthTellers

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwpercle View Post
The 32 acp taper crimp die should work just fine with the 32 mag cases. A firm taper crimp should help with the burning. Unique needs some pressure to burn clean, insufficient crimp is probably causing the incomplete burn .

If shooting out of a rifle bump that charge up to 5.0 or 5.5 grains of Unique the extra pressure will help. I always had some incomplete burning with Unique when I went below 5.0 grains in handgun loads .

I use a 9mm Luger taper crimp die to load smooth sided cast bullets in both 38 special and 357 magnum. The shorter die and longer cases work like a charm....Go for it !
Gary
Yeah, but were you loading Unique in .32 cases? The case capacity of .32 vs .38/.357 is significantly different.

I do think a taper crimp die is necessary to get the most out of this, I'll think about getting one.