The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old October 26, 2018, 05:25 PM   #1
tgh97531

Once Fired Remington Brass Resizing

Purchase Redding type S Match Die Set 270 Winchester PN36135. Attempting to resize once fired cleaned and polished Remington brass with .304 Titanium Bushing pn#76304. Unfired Remington Express Core-LOKT cat R270W2 cartridge measures .3045. After a stuck case and many attempts to resize several different Remington cases, grasping for straws, I annealed the case and was able to resize the case. Has anybody else had a problem with resizing Remington once fired brass?
Old October 26, 2018, 07:02 PM   #2
cw308

Try sizing the case without the bushing . I have to admit , the first time I switched to the Redding S Type bushing die after 25+ years of reloading without a problem . The first case I ran up into the die , when I loward the ram the rim ripped completely off the case . I felt like such an a_ _ h _ _ e . Called Redding the said on new dies you have to use alittle more lube , now if I feel alittle resistance I lower a add alittle more lube . I sent them the die to remove the case and I ordered a stuck case remover that I hope I'll never use . Remington cases are on the thin side , it could have been shot from a sloppy chamber . If I remember the cases should be sized down in two steps if they have to be sized down more the .004 .also there have to be alittle wiggle room the the bushing to help center so don't lock it down tight in the die .. Are you neck turning or are you using the expander shaft an ball . Leave the expander shaft slightly loose also the self center . The hight of the expander shaft if not positioned right could jam the case too . Hope I Helped in some way .

Chris
Old October 26, 2018, 07:40 PM   #3
Mobuck

"Attempting to resize once fired cleaned and polished Remington brass with .304 Titanium Bushing pn#76304."
What type of sizing lube are you using?
Old October 26, 2018, 09:45 PM   #4
old roper

With type S you get expander and also decapping pin retainer. I don't use expander and I use the pin. If you use expander maybe little lube inside neck. I don't have any new Rem brass but have some old when they sold in 20rd box unprimed for the 270. Sinclair sells neck expander mandrels and I have one that .002" under bullet dia and I use those on new necks. I measure loaded rd and what ever size say .304" I may get .305" and .303".

I've got some new Win 270 and neck thickness is same as Rem brass. Redding does rec that you lube using Tin bushing.

https://www.redding-reloading.com/te...a-bushing-dies
NRA Life Member
Old October 27, 2018, 01:16 PM   #5
tgh97531

30 year old brass ages over time

Used Imperial Sizing Wax, One Shot Case Lube, RBCS Case Slick even tried Mobil One. I build a case annealing apparatus a few years back
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Vgvx8eK514 (mine is not as pretty) and never really had a good reason to put it to use so I broke it out, filled the hopper, lit the torch and stood back. The machine works great. Then I was able to full length resized the cases as per the directions which came with Redding dies. The 270 brass was sitting for 30 years and from the 30 seconds of metallurgy reading brass stored for many years will go back to its original l state, and require annealing. I guess only diamonds are forever.
Old October 27, 2018, 06:18 PM   #6
RC20

I have not and I shoot a lot of it in 30-06 and 308.

What I have found is brand new cleaned polished brass is not happy sliding brass.

You may have changed enough to get it tow work.

While no choice on once fired, I lube and size them in the so called dirty state (how they came out of the gun)

I have found new dies and cleaned dies to be buggers until they get seasoned with lube, even if I lube them.

Sometimes there is such a thing as too good a surface (think of a piston and rings against a cylinder,, you need s certain degree of roughness for the whole thing to work right, totally smooth is out, there is actually a measurement of roughness that is the target for honing cylinders)

I also do not use anything fancy, a FL die that has been set to minimum size aka minimum shoulder push back of about .003.
Old October 28, 2018, 11:05 AM   #7
F. Guffey

Quote:
After a stuck case and many attempts to resize several different Remington cases, grasping for straws,

Quote:
Has anybody else had a problem with resizing Remington once fired brass?
Not me but by now most must understand I did not get here by taking the same path others have traveled. It would appear someone has sold you on the, 'dead run' path. I started out with what some of us call full length sizing die, it was understood the full length sizing die returned to the case to minimum length and we all understood minimum length was AKA full length sized.

I do not know how many bushings you have, back when I was using one full length sizing die I had a choice. We all knew the die reduces the diameter of the neck and if the reloader did not kike that choice the diameter of the neck could be controlled by the diameter of the expander.

Understand that was before 'neck tension', back then there was bullet hold, I became the fan of all the bullet hold I could get.

Quote:
If you use expander maybe little lube inside neck. I don't have any new Rem brass but have some old when they sold in 20rd box unprimed for the 270.
Old roper, I still have new unprimed/unfired cases in the green and orange boxes, I also have a few of the Norma unprimed cases in 20 round boxes and I have Federal unprimed cases that were sold the same way.

When something does not work I go back to what did work, there is nothing like a new over the counter factory sized case. And then there is the neck, One day I was not trying to do my best work, back then when I fired the first round I stuck the bullet of the next round in to the neck of the fired cases. Then one thing I did not want to find is a bullet that fit the neck of the fired cases, I insisted on a loose fit.

SOOO? I thought about it for a few seconds; because the 30/06 cases and the 270 cases were close I started there.

I used the 30/06 case necks to check the 270 case necks. If both cases necks have been sized the 270 case neck would fit into the 30/06 case neck with a vacuum fit meaning if I left the primers in the case and or I covered the primer pocket holes I could pull the two cases apart with a pop. The OP says he is using a .304" bushing, if the outside diameter of the 270 had an outside diameter of .304" all I would hear when I bullet the two cases apart would be a whooshing round. I take up the slack I would have to use grease in the neck of one and or grease on the inside of the other.

In my opinion the OP should start over by purchasing a set of dies from the old days and then learn to use them. I would also suggest he measure the outside diameter of the fired case. That would be before firing and again after firing. There is one thing I have never had to do was to turn the outside of the neck on a factory case.

I have had to turn the outside of the neck on cases I have formed, I have also had to ream the inside of the neck to increases the diameter, and we all should know turning the outside of the neck and or reaming the inside diameter of the neck thins the thickness of the neck.

That is an interesting link you furnished from Redding, there was no mention of neck tension, there was no mention of case head space.

F. Guffey
Old October 28, 2018, 11:10 AM   #8
F. Guffey

Quote:
totally smooth is out, there is actually a measurement of roughness that is the target for honing cylinders)
I want 100% contact, nothing works better than 100% contact. When I examine the surface I want to see a reflection that mirrors a mirror.

F. Guffey
Old October 28, 2018, 12:17 PM   #9
old roper

F. Guffey, Please don't quote me.
NRA Life Member
Old October 28, 2018, 12:39 PM   #10
T. O'Heir

"...brass stored for many years will go back to its original l state..." Nonsense. Brass case necks and shoulders get work hardened by repeated firing and resizing. Once fired cases will not be work hardened from sitting in a box for 100 years.
"...a stuck case..." Indicates insufficient amount of lube. Nothing to do with the type of lube.
That Remington brass fired out of your rifle? No neck sizing only if it wasn't. And it sounds like it was not. You must full length resize any case that was not fired out of that rifle regardless of its maker, first.
"...full length sizing die returned to the case to minimum length..." Um, it's not the length.
Old October 29, 2018, 10:22 AM   #11
F. Guffey

I am the only reloader that finds it impossible to move the shoulder back, and while I am at it I must confess I find it impossible to bump the shoulder back because 'bump' is something my cam over press does and my non cam over press does not.....do.

Quote:
"...full length sizing die returned to the case to minimum length..." Um, it's not the length.
My full length sizing dies return the case to minimum length, because my die does not move the shoulder back if it has case body support. Because I am the only reloader that starts with one shoulder and finishes with another shoulder I can shorten the case from the shoulder of the case to the case head; again, I do not finish with the same shoulder I start with. And then there is stretch and flow or is it stretch and flow? When sizing a case the case can get longer from the end of the neck to the case head while the case is getting shorter from the shoulder to the case head but if the shoulder moves back the case has to compress between the shoulder and case head. To do that the case would have to collapse inward or bulge.

When I size a case I am going for the distance from the shoulder to the case head. And then there is that what do with the case body when it increases in diameter and increases in length from the shoulder to the case head? It is a given the case will shorten when the case fills the chamber from the end of the neck to the case head.

Minimum length/full length size: And then there is the adjusting the die to avoid full length sizing, some choose to adjust the die for .002" clearance between the shoulder of the case and shoulder f the chamber. To avoid knowing what they are doing and how they do 'it' most reloaders take a short cut and claim they are bumpers as in bumping the shoulder back a magic .002".

Again, pump is what my press does if it is a cam over press, again; my non cam over presses do not cam over and they are not bump presses.

F. Guffey