The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: General

Old August 9, 2013, 10:00 AM   #1
wannabe-a-SEAL

Mosin help

Okay so I recently purchased a 1941 Ischeveck (matching numbers NOT force matched) M38. It is not in the m38 stock but rather the m44. Because of this and it not having any real collectability I am going to make it into my hunting gun. My question is this, do they make any good aftermarket stocks (like Boyd's) for the m38. I was really liking the Boyd's stocks but then I found out that they are for the m91/30. I am looking for wood stocks over the composite or synthetic because I like the character that wood gives to the gun. Please keep in mind that I am 15 and only make $150 every three to four months, so I cant really go for a real expensive stock.

As for the rest of the gun I was going to get a Rock Solid Industries scope mount and the Nikon Prostaff 3-9x40. I was planning on bedding the action and eventually getting a Timney trigger for it.

I am stuck between the bent bolts. I am stuck between "The Boltman" and one from Rocksolid.

I know that many people will say don't ruin an m38 (Well this one has no collectors value and it is my gun) and that it is not worth putting that much money into a $250 gun, but hey it is my gun and my adventure.

If you have stuck all the way through reading all of this THANK YOU, and any comments or thoughts are welcome.
Old August 9, 2013, 11:51 AM   #2
DPris
Member Emeritus

You might call Boyds & see if they have anything that'll fit.
Probably your best bet.

ATI MIGHT, but ATI is very risky.
When I was looking at trying an ATI plastic stock (which I realize you don't want) I checked reviews on Amazon & found many complaints about inconsistent quality.
I tried one anyway, and after literally 6 hours of work trying to get it to fit a 91/30, my gunsmith gave up. It was too badly warped. Went in the garbage can.
Others have had better results, but QC does appear to be hit or miss.

Not aware of anybody else offering aftermarket wood for your carbine, call Boyds & at least ask.

I have the Rock Solid scope mount & their bent bolt on my Mosin sporter, with a Boyds stock.
I highly recommend all three products.
Denis
Old August 9, 2013, 02:16 PM   #3
wannabe-a-SEAL

Thank you. Yeah with the reviews and videos I have seen I am planning on staying well away from ATI.
Old August 9, 2013, 02:39 PM   #4
wannabe-a-SEAL

This may not be completely related but has anybody ever made their own stock? If so how hard is it to do, how many tools are required, and what kind of skill level is needed?
Old August 9, 2013, 08:54 PM   #5
DPris
Member Emeritus

More tools & skill than you've got.
Crafting a stock from scratch is far from simple.
Call Boyds & discuss.
Denis