The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old February 17, 2007, 10:40 PM   #1
newuspowner

? EAA Witness 10mm?

is this a had gun that is worth a _______? i want an inexpensive 10mm, not a cheap gun, but good quality for a good price
Old February 17, 2007, 11:25 PM   #2
MikeRussell

While I can't say about the 10mm, I do have an EAA Witness Elite Match in .38super and it's a very nice firearm. It's very well built and very accurate. I will say this though, I'm kind of spoiled by the Elite Match variant and probably will not get a standard Witness, but opt for the Elite line of the Witness instead. Later this year, I might buy an Elite Match 10mm upper for my pistol, then I can have 2 in 1.
Old February 18, 2007, 12:40 AM   #3
Sturmgewehre

It's an outstanding gun. Super high quality, reliable, and accurate. I've had mine for 7 years and love it. Here are some pics:

It's probably the best 10mm auto loader currently produced.
Old February 18, 2007, 03:11 AM   #4
Willy T

+1 to the above. I have been looking for a 10mm Witness Hunter 6 inch in Camo locally but to no avail. I'd say go for it.
Old February 18, 2007, 06:21 AM   #5
Peter M. Eick

Excellent gun. Amazing how much quality you can build into a $285 gun. I bought mine brand new when they first hit the states and that included 5 magazines. It was my truck gun for years. Reliable and it could take the hottest loads with no questions.
Old February 18, 2007, 12:52 PM   #6
hksigwalther

IMO, I think the Tanfaglio guns have improved quite a bit over the years. although I don't own a current model, I did have the opportunity to closely (but not disassemble) examine a few at SHOT '07. The trigger feel and overall build quality seems to be well above the old FIE TZ75, of which I have a sample to compare with. That old gun, although very rough, shoots very well. The current offerings shou;d shoot at least as well. Being a fan of the CZ75 system, I never would have considered a SAO model as I think the double action of the gun was one of its irreplacable hallmarks. Having examined the Hunters on display, the singal action of the trigger did not seem too bad and after thinking about it, double really isn't critical for what I would use the gun for, mainly target shooting. I do have a 10mm Hunter (and maybe the .45 also) on my list. (I like the extra barrel length of the Hunter.) Still a little short of the build quality of a CZ, IMO, and others, e.g., SIGARMS, but for the price, a good bargain.
Old February 18, 2007, 01:00 PM   #7
cdsdss

Great low-cost 10mm

I had one and can't say anything bad about it. NIB it cost me in the low $300s and it was accurate and reliable. The only reason I got rid of it was because I wanted to standardize my guns to 9mm. I'd say buy with confidence.
Old February 18, 2007, 01:08 PM   #8
Mal H
Staff

I've got to echo the same sentiment as most others here. My 10MM Witness is solid and reliable, a real sleeper of a gun. I bought it used from a fellow TFL'er, Mike Irwin. It served him well and it has been flawless for me.

You might want to purchase the Wolf spring set for it, though. Full house 10MM ammo will require the 22 lb spring, but a lighter spring will be necessary for practice loads, etc.
Old February 18, 2007, 02:48 PM   #9
Mike Irwin
Staff

The first time I fired my 10mm, the one I sold to Mal, with full power loads and the factory springs, it didn't just throw the brass into the next shooting lane, it threw the brass into the next time zone.

I've never seen a handgun throw brass 75 feet before, but that one of mine did.

Baby Jesus cries when the fat redneck doesn't have military-grade firepower.
Old February 18, 2007, 07:02 PM   #10
waynedm

From what I've seen I'd say EAA makes one of the better CZ clones out there.
Old February 19, 2007, 02:20 AM   #11
10 MickeyMouse

I have the Compact in 10mm; It's my primary CCW.

Soon as the tax refund gets here, will be picking up an Elite Limited 10mm.

Tanfoglio makes fine pistols.
Old February 19, 2007, 02:36 PM   #12
pesta2

I have one in 10mm. Great handgun I actually bought in it .45 ACP then bought an upper in 10mm. It came with a 10 round mag but I later bought the (I believe) 15 round magazine. I have been shooting on the shelf 10mm ammunition but after reading some comments on TFL I purchased a Wolff 22 Pound spring for it. Have not had a chance to shot it after I put the spring in though. I want to get some of the hotter loads like Buffalo Bore’s that are loaded like the 10mm was supposed to be. In double action the trigger reach is a hair long for me but in single action the reach is perfect. The grip really fits my hang well.
Old February 19, 2007, 06:02 PM   #13
corey006

Quote:

Mike Irwin

The first time I fired my 10mm, the one I sold to Mal, with full power loads and the factory springs, it didn't just throw the brass into the next shooting lane, it threw the brass into the next time zone.

I've never seen a handgun throw brass 75 feet before, but that one of mine did.

END QUOTE.

To cure this get a 22 lb recoil spring and cut down the ejector. I am no gunsmith but I did my own ejector....now brass is usually at 5 o'clock and 15 feet away.

I have one. I had lots of FTF problems when I first got it but after a couple months of tweaking it is 95-98% reliable. We do not have CCW, and wilderness carry is near impossible to get....so 100% reliability is not really neccesary for me. If I get a FTF or FTE 1/50 times not huge issue.

The good:

Nice looking pistol.

Affordable.

They are very well stoutly built. Will handle maximum handloads easily because the chamber is fully supported.

They are fairly accurate and quite a pleasure to shoot. The ergonomics are awesome...makes shooting max loads easy/comfortable.

The bad:

Usually will have some FTF or more rarely FTE problems which can be attributed to a number of easily fixed problems.

Most problems seem to be associated with mags, or mag springs, or recoil springs.

First thing most guys do is ease the sharp edge on chamber mouth and polish feed ramp.

Some mags don't sit tightly enough in the mag well and drop down a 1/16 of an inch this is usually cured with a NEW mag catch.

Most guys change out factory mag springs to Wolf +5% or +10% mag springs.

Change weak factory recoil spring to at least a 18lb Wolf or 20-22 lb springs if shooting hotter loads.

2 of best sites for info on these pistols are:

You can find all the neccesary info on DIY mods.

http://www.10mmtalk.com/

http://p201.ezboard.com/CZ-CLONE-CLU...tols82792frm35
Old February 20, 2007, 06:26 PM   #14
Mike Irwin
Staff

Corey,

As stated in a couple of other messages, I sold my 10mm Witness to Mal H.

When I sold it it had the 22 lb spring in it.

I only shot it a few times after I replaced the spring, but I didn't see any need to work on the ejector.

Baby Jesus cries when the fat redneck doesn't have military-grade firepower.
Old February 21, 2007, 09:17 PM   #15
bakjr

I've got the Standard in Wonderfinish and an Elite Match. My Elite Match has been flawless. I haven't had a chance to shoot the Standard yet. Probably one of the best 10mm's that I own and for a great price.

Old February 21, 2007, 10:34 PM   #16
IM_Lugger

never been a CZ fan but those Wonder finish Steel models look sweet...I got to get one in 10mm someday

thanks for the pics
Old February 21, 2007, 11:23 PM   #17
BigEd63

Wish I had taken before and after pics of the extractor mods I did to cure the FTF's I had on my early model Witness .45ACP.

Yes the mags are a part of the problem also but on mine unless the rounds popped up perfectly the extractor would bite into the rim with the toothlike extension of the extactor's claw.

After some study I removed that extended part of the claw of the extractor and put a slight radius on the extractor's lower corner so it snapped over the cartridge rim easier.

After that zero FTF so far compared to close to every other round.
Old August 11, 2021, 11:15 AM   #18
Jericholover

This gun is just a good example of being able to produce a double stack 10mm - something that the S&W 1006 never had - nor the 4506.
Possibly to reduce the humungous hands required, (which I have) to wrap around a double stack 45 or 10mm - this 10mm is proof that it can be done without problems.