The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old December 1, 2000, 01:51 AM   #1
dgang

When a scope, still attached to the rings, is removed from a rifle (or revolver) that incorporates an intergal scope mount like the kind that Ruger and Sako uses, will the scope retain its zero when re-attached? If care is used to apply the same amount screw turns or pressure will the cross hairs have the same point of impact as before being removed? Thanks in advance, dgang
Old December 1, 2000, 07:49 AM   #2
George Stringer
Staff Alumnus

Dgang, maybe so, maybe no-so. It should be very close but I would always shoot it to make sure. I know this probably isn't what you would like to hear but that's just the fact of the matter. I wouldn't trust any scope to return back to it's exact zero once it's removed from the base. George
Old December 1, 2000, 12:41 PM   #3
mickthenailer

Dgang. I have removed and reinstalled the scope on my 77/22 four times and have never had to move the crosshairs. I don't own a centerfire Ruger so I couldn't comment on those.
Old December 2, 2000, 11:13 AM   #4
Jamie Young

I took my Mini 14 to a gunsmith to have a flash supressor put on it. When I took it to the range the Scope was loose and fell off. (The Gunsmith told me he would have to take it off)and he didn't put it back on very tight. I put it back on cursing at him and shot 30 55gr bullets right where they were suppose to go. I took back all my swearing!! It made me want to throw my SKS out in the trash. I have taken the mounts off before and have never had a problem with them.