The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: General Handgun Forum

Old April 30, 2016, 05:42 AM   #51
dannyb

I recently went through this exercise for a female friend of ours (my wife spurned "girly guns" early on and shoots .38 out of a 5" barrel Model 60). The friend had taken a couple of beginners classes (all female) and was interested in a pistol of her own - .22 being her primary interest.

I asked on a couple of discusison boards but included not only the recoil factor but also the ease of disassembly and cleaning. The ultimate winner was the S&W Victory. We all went to a range that rents guns, and she bought a Victory that same night after trying one.

My point in this is that she should be able to both shoot the pistol and clean it without major tool work (reason that the Ruger Mark III didn't make the grade).
Old April 30, 2016, 11:24 AM   #52
44 AMP
Staff

Quote:
be able to both shoot the pistol and clean it without major tool work (reason that the Ruger Mark III didn't make the grade).
I'll say it again, the Ruger "mark" series of pistols can be kept running, clean, lubed and fully functional for DECADES (at least) without ever needing to be taken apart!!!!

Yes, they are a pain in the butt to take apart and put back together. SO WHAT?? Don't take them apart!

While a number of people act otherwise, the military obsession with taking guns apart and putting them back together for cleaning, at every possible opportunity simply is not necessary for civilian sporting arms, and should NOT be done to some of them, as they were never designed for that.

Removing a good gun (like the Ruger) from your possibles list simply because its a pain to strip is, in my opinion, needlessly narrowing your options.
Old April 30, 2016, 12:19 PM   #53
Ruger45LC

A Gen4 Glock 19 with standard pressure 124gr ammo is VERY low recoiling, I mean I know some people are recoil sensitive but people have to accept just a little bit of recoil, and what I mentioned above recoils very little.
Old May 1, 2016, 04:48 PM   #54
RoughDivider

If she's comfortable with a .22 by all means go for that. I like .380 for the smallest round I'm personally comfortable with but that's just my own opinion. I think bersa makes a fairly heavy .380 that would be a dream to shoot. And browning has their 1911 .380. If you don't mind the money a model 1908 Colt hammerless has no recoil that I can find when I shoot it. My girlfriend would probably make the same recommendations, that being said she thinks people who can't do a full day at the range with an LCP are wimps...
Old May 2, 2016, 06:58 AM   #55
TimSr

The more she can actually try out in advance, the better. Women's tastes in arms are individual, just like men.

My very petite wife favored my 6" Ruger Single Six in .22, but not favors my 6" GP100 with mild handloaded .38s with about the same recoil. She doesn't care for my 38 snubby 9double action only) at all, even with light loads. She absolutely hates my 439 in 9mm. She likes my little Raven .25, but can't hit anything with it. I also have a 7 1/2 .44 and .454 that she has shot with very light target loads, but she does not like that they are too heavy for her. She enjoys shooting but is not a gun enthusiast, and finds the double action revolver with a swing out cylinder to be the simplest to understand, and easiest to load and unload. With revolvers you have the luxury of being able to use various degrees of ammo, form cat fart to magnum.
Old May 2, 2016, 08:13 AM   #56
Guv

My wife is by no means a gun person, don't worry, she's not anti-gun either. Years ago she used to shoot with me from time to time and she did really well with an old smooth 38spl.Colt Metropolitan. I also had a nice Colt 1911 45ACP that with light target loads she did not like at all. It seems after talking about it, the movement of the slide really bothered her. By the way, she ended up shooting double action with that old Colt really well. I also like the SP 101 .327, except for what they sell for! Much more than a 38 or 357 SP 101.
Old May 2, 2016, 08:53 AM   #57
pilpens

How sensitive to recoil is she? Is 9mm on an a steel pistol too much(like 1911)?
If .22 is the best fit then, I would look at 22LR S&W M&P compact --- I have no experience with this but it seems like it would be good recoil sensitve and maybe for people with small hands.
I have a Ruger SR22 that my kids like but I think I would have gotten the 22LR S&W M&P compact if it was available then.
Browning Buckmark and Ruger MKxxx are the easy choices. As 44 Amp said, they can last many many rounds without disassembly. To me, the 4" barreled ones are more lively than the longer barreled versions but takes more concentration to shoot as well as the 5.5" or 7". My primary 22LR pistol is a buckmark with the older/bigger grip.
Old May 4, 2016, 02:26 PM   #58
radir68

My wife's Ruger SR 22 was her favorite gun until she tried my Sig 1911-22. Its the Sig branded GSG. Now the 1911-22 is her favorite gun. Before I got her to try it she thought that a 1911 style pistol was to heavy for her. She is very recoil shy but enjoys the sig so I am happy that she is comfortable using it.
Old May 4, 2016, 05:55 PM   #59
tallball

"...I also like the SP 101 .327..."

This is the correct direction. The lightest 32 rounds have recoil barely more noticeable than that of a 22, but are far more effective. As the shooter gets used to the weapon, 32 H&R magnum becomes NBD, and it is said to be as effective as 38 special. And if the shooter is eventually okay with 327, that is a very potent round indeed.

It makes no sense to consider 22 for SD when 32 is available, imho.
Old May 5, 2016, 08:08 AM   #60
Targa

I often forget about the .327. I would like to see it become a little more mainstream/popular as far as ammo availability goes but that would be a nice alternative to a rimfire for the recoil sensitive.
Old May 5, 2016, 08:11 AM   #61
Pilot

Bersa Thunder .22LR
Beretta 87
S&W or Ruger .22LR revolver

Use CCI Minimags.
Old May 5, 2016, 07:05 PM   #62
jstert

Handgun for the very recoil sensitive girlfriend

ruger sr22. easy to feed and clean. can be ccw with right holster and jacket. heritage roughrider 22lr/wmr single action is decent for the price. not for ccw but loaded with 22wmr speer gold dots is very credible for static defense.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old May 5, 2016, 11:03 PM   #63
Andy Blozinski

A big doublestack .380 auto would have little recoil. There are several on the market.
.22 magnum
Old May 8, 2016, 05:02 AM   #64
peggysue

Witness Pavona in .9mm or .380 made for a girl
https://eaacorp.com/guns/handguns/wi...y-tanfolgio-26