The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old February 5, 2008, 01:52 PM   #1
millercreek

Home defense barrel for Winchester 1200 in 20 gauge?

I have a Winchester Model 1200 in 20 gauge and it is a good bird gun but I would like to have a shorter barrel for home defense and use with slugs. What are my choices?

Also, since I know exactly "squat" about shotguns, can you change from 20 to 12 gauge, or are these totally different guns?
Old February 8, 2008, 01:38 PM   #2
B. Adams

Winchester 1200/1300 barrels are extremely difficult to find for a decent price. You're probably looking at about $200 for an 18" barrel, maybe more, if you can even find one.

IMO, you're better off just buying another gun. That's the solution I came to after looking for a barrel for a long, long time.
Old February 8, 2008, 03:43 PM   #3
Superhouse 15

Barrel

If you can't find one, should cost about $40 to have a long barrel cut down, maybe a bit more depending on what sights you want mounted. They don't interchange between gauges.
Old February 8, 2008, 04:24 PM   #4
gunfixer76

slugs

First of all slugs for home defense, NOT RECOMENDED. Might as well have a hand gun.Bird shot first, Buckshot second. The whole idea of a shotgun is to not have to aim at close range, point and shoot! Also for consideration is wall penatration! If you miss with a slug it is going to go through a few walls before it stops. Always remember, light weight, high velocity penatrates less than heavy and slow.BFD is the best early warning system. BIG F-ING DOG.
Old February 8, 2008, 05:21 PM   #5
SDBuckaroo

Quote:
Always remember, light weight, high velocity penatrates less than heavy and slow.
Which is why an AR is often a better tool than a Shotgun!

Now you have your excuse to get BRD!

Your welcome

Buckaroo
Old February 10, 2008, 03:48 PM   #6
.351winchester

Of course it's tactically way more well rounded. But HD is the last bastion of the street cannon-the right tool for the job.

Your barrel problem. It sucks when you get a pump (esp. a combo) and think, cool, just buy another couple pipes (or one), and I got a shotty for all seasons. This happens with Remington, even Mossbergs. Get a whole new damn shotgun for a little more than what the barrel would cost. A 20 g., 18" is not going to turn up, check the auction sites, but you'll be doing it for years.
Fortunately- if you don't mind buying used, you can get a suitable HD pump for a buck 20-half. Finding a 20 ga. Persuader isn't going to happen either right away. So- go to work with a hacksaw on the front and back.
The Maverick 88's are great buys- 18.5" 6-shot, and 20" 8 shot; However, they come in 12 only. Mossy still has 500 Cruisers and Persuaders you won't pay close to 300. for new. I would suggest the 870 Express Synthetic 7 shot. This is a fine 20 gauge riot gun. If I'm not mistaken they list for 330. (MSRP). That's with the plain stock. This gun resembles the Marine Magnum, only black (Park.?) Ryan Phillippe uses one in the movie The Way of the Gun, only in 12. This is what you want if you like the idea of a 20 for HD and recognize it's virtues. I would like one myself in this gauge too, but have bigger fish to fry. Pay the extra for the 870. Might be just a subcaliber 870 model to some, I say the 20 finally got rugged. I never owned a Remington, and cherished a 500 for years-just stroke the actions in the store-that should tell you all you need to know. Nothing wrong with a Mossy but that Remmy is tight, I have to assume the best combat 20 gauge smoothbore in 80 years or more. What else has there been- SxS pistols and bottom port only PG pumps?There was a 1300 PG/18" alley cleaner, and also Ithaca had suitable models. but today it's a Cruiser, or 870. Or Coachgun. The Youth and Bantam 20's around are fine for HD as-is, more than a huge 3.5" 12g auto turkey gun. Look at the stock on the 505, LOP, plus a 20" ribbed bbl.

There are ways or taming the 12 ga. riot deeper than tactical/defense loads. i say just say step down-12,16,and 20, all being equal, are equal for this job. I'll take quicker shot to shot recovery over negligable power increase every time.

Remington 870 Express Synthetic-7 shot.

***edit: How could I forget the Kalashnikov 20? There is a Saiga 20 ga. also, 19", magazines in 5 and 8 rounds. Personally I could never trust any auto scattergun like that, but if I could, I'd give the AK based one a try. It will work as is with sporter stock and relocated trigger housing. But can be worked on by you or the pros to make into a CQB weapon unmatched by eny, the D.D. list ones in particular.
Still gotta worry about 922(r). Cool thing about the mags is you can load one buck, another bird, then alternate 7.5 bird and 3 buck,another sabot slugs, etc.
Worth checking into, still say the Remington would be your best bet, Saiga has interesting possibilities, but KISS.
Old April 8, 2009, 12:16 AM   #7
zen314

Winchester 1200 Short 20 ga Barrel

If the OP or anyone else is still looking for one of these, I have one for sale here:
http://gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewIte...Item=126614989
Old April 8, 2009, 08:32 AM   #8
RetiredLawman

That is a great price! Much better than butchering a good barrel.