The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old September 15, 2015, 03:27 PM   #1
lightjunkie

Nikon Prostaff 4x12 or Leopould Rifleman

Hi all Iam on a tight budget and I am looking at either a prostaff 4x12 with BDC or a Leopould Riffle man I have looked at the new Redfield made by Leopould and the vortex's but the optics were not as clear or bright as the 1st two I mentioned. And that's about my financial limit ,the last scope I mounted on my .300 Weatherby Remington 700 classic was a Redfield 3x9 I bought back in '95 before Redfield went out of buiesness ,it had held its zero and survived many bumps ,drops and falls but the optics really suck,so that being said out of the 2 scopes which would you pick and why or why not.thanks for your input in advance
Old September 15, 2015, 03:41 PM   #2
SSA

Prostaff. The Rifleman does not have fully multicoated lenses, and these days, there is no excuse for that.
Old September 15, 2015, 03:54 PM   #3
Doyle

While I generally love Leupold scopes, the best definition I've ever heard of the Rifleman is "$75 scope and a $125 warranty". I.E. great warranty but relatively low quality scope when you consider that the same $200 can buy you a much better set of optics.
Old September 15, 2015, 06:57 PM   #4
jmr40

There is no reason to buy the Rifleman. At one time the Rifleman and VX-1 were essentially the same scope, but with fewer options for the Rifleman and it sold for just a few $$$ less. About 3 years ago Leupold upgraded all of the VX line of scopes. A current production VX-1 is essentially a VX-2 made prior to 2012, but selling at the same price.

A 3-9X40 scope will sell for roughly $100 less and have better glass than a 4-12X scope. If on a budget buy more quality instead of more X's. The clearer glass will make a bigger difference than a small amount of magnification.

At $199 a Burris FF-II in a 3-9X40 is my hands down favorite budget scope. The VX-1 is only a few $$$ more and my 2nd choice. The Redfield Revolution is another option. When 1st introduced they fell about halfway between VX-1 and VX-2 in quality and selling at the same price as the Rifleman. At the time were a bargain, but todays VX-1 is the slightly better scope selling at about the same price today.

Nikon uses good glass for the money. They are a good enough scope, I just like the other options a lot more.
Old September 15, 2015, 08:13 PM   #5
lightjunkie

Okay

I appreciate all the input,and to be honest o haven't looked at a Burris Fullified for a looonnggg time so maybe I'll give them al look again, I'll very honest I couldn't believe the brightness of the prostaff made in the Phillipines Nikon,compared to more expensive glass I was looking I know about 4 years ago I went out for. an evening hunt all the desert muleies were coming into a large flat to feed so I picked up my entry leven
Nikon 10x42s and I could clearly make out which were bucks and when I picked to try and get a shot with my old 3x9 Redfield I couldn't tell whar was what other than dim outlines of the deer so that is what I don't want to happen again and I wish I had more funds available to look at the Leopould VII 's
Old September 15, 2015, 09:53 PM   #6
Doyle

Actually, if the Rifleman is in your ideal price range you should take a look at the Vortex scopes. They make a line of similarly priced scopes that get very good reviews.
Old September 15, 2015, 11:35 PM   #7
lightjunkie

Vortex scopes

I did see a entry level vortex at the Dicks sporting good grand opening and compared it side by side with the Nikon,the Nikon was much brighter and clearer ,and know the higher end vortex's are on part with the best optics out there but the one I looked at this last week end didn't impress me.

Last edited by lightjunkie; September 16, 2015 at 09:56 AM.
Old September 16, 2015, 09:13 AM   #8
bman940

Scope

Nikon's PROSTAFF is one heck of a scope for the price. Very clear and bright even in low light conditions. The BDC reticle lets you use Nikon's Spot On Ballistic Program to dial in your longrange accuracy. I like the PROSTAFF 4-12 BDC and put one on my Father In-Laws deer rifle 4 years ago and he has now gone 8 for 8 on one shot stops on KS deer. That might not mean a lot but when he used to average about 10 bullet's per deer that is saying something. Teaching a 76 year old,hard of hearing Korean War Vet how to shoot using the BDC reticle was way harder then teaching my 6 year old but once he got it it was bad news for the deer. Drop me a note if you have any question's about using the BDC reticle and Spot On. Make sure you check out this site's SPonsor's to see if any can help you with your purchase too.

Old September 16, 2015, 09:17 PM   #9
SSA

I see the Nikon prostaff 5 2.5-10x40 is just $10 more than the 4-12 prostaff. That might be another one to think about.
Old September 18, 2015, 07:26 PM   #10
sholling

In your price range my suggestion is to go with the Prostaff or a Vortex Diamondback.
Old September 19, 2015, 12:18 AM   #11
skizzums

I Don't know if this will pertain to you or not. Some people scoff at the name, but I recently picked up a 4.5-18x40 Bushnell AR optic. Turns out, it's a really great scope. The reticle is very fine and clear, fine enough to put my crosshairs in between 1/2 circles at 100 yards, something I was unable to do with the Nikon. The glass is crystal clear and I was banging out a 600 yards plate without fail on a cloudy day. The relief can be somewhat unforgiving on ma magnification, but anything under 16x was very easy to get a good view. Awesome turrets, slightly too tight yardage knob, but overall a really impressive scope. I grabbed mine for 150$ which was the norm a month ago, but appear all is over 200$ now for some reason. Mine is a .223 BDC, not useful to you, but not sure if it's .308 brother would satisfy your needs. I can only assume it's the same quality glass and components, just sporting a different reticle set-up. The reviews on opticsplanet, amazon etc are all outstanding and would heavily recommend over the Nikon ProStaff. I have no experience with the vortex, I only know they have built a great image for themselves very quickly, so one can only assume they make quality products.
but, as I said before, I do not know if a 308 BDC would be of any interest for your rifle, just thought that I would share that this is my third Bushnell Scope and have been pleased with all, and even the cheap Banner Series far exceeded my expectations and has lasted several years sitting atop Mosin Nagants and bout every other rifle I own, although I will admit the Banner's reticle is large and not suited for target shooting. But you may find a good value is Bushnell and I can confirm that they take a beating.
http://www.amazon.com/Bushnell-4-5-1.../dp/B00UNO0ZDK
opticplanet charges an extra 28$ for the 308 over the .223
http://www.opticsplanet.com/bushnell...tte-black.html
I am not sure if Bushnell uses the same glass etc for their more traditional type scopes, like the legend etc, but if so, I would assume them to be nice glass for your purposes if the tactical route is not useful to you.
http://www.amazon.com/Bushnell-Legen.../dp/B006UJ02Z8

the scope does have one "tick me off" feature, and that is the knurled magnification wheel which interfered with my 2-piece Nikon P mount, so had to flip the mount backwards and now scope is too close to the stock, I will need to purchase a new mount for future use.
Old September 20, 2015, 08:01 AM   #12
Tony Z

I have the 4 - 12 Prostaff with BDC and would buy it again in a heartbeat. I have Leupold scopes, but not any of the Rifleman models, so I can't offer an opinion if I would feel the same sentiment towards Leupold.
Old September 20, 2015, 11:41 PM   #13
lightjunkie

I also

saw the Nikon prostaff 5 4.5x18 for 215 on SWFA demo and used scope websight that caught my attention either way it's going to take some time and pinching pennies to get the scope ,I know whatever I get I will have for a loonggg time as the last scope I bought f or it was in '95 and I do appreciate all the input and everyone staying in the limited price range Iam confined to .
Old April 22, 2016, 12:56 AM   #14
newbweatherby

Vortex diamondback hp 4x16 x42mm

Okay i know this is an old thread and,iam respoding because i was the original poster, i went through 3 smartphones so i had to change my username and pasword because my 3 other phone went kaput.
Any for the longest time i dis have my heart set on the Nikon prostaff4x12 and i was really impressed by its brightness and clarity along with the software for cartridge specific ballistics,i also had a lot of salesmen try and push the Vortex koolaid ,and to be honest i sis look theough Diamond back 4x12 and it seemed solidly constructed buts its optics still paled when looking side by side to the Nikon.So just as i was heases to the cashier at yhe lgs a saleman askes if i tried the vortex i told him yes and i wasnt inoresswd by the diamondback, he said oh no iam talking about the new hp line.Well one look and now i have the 4x16x42mm and i love i had to put it on layaway and scrimp save sell to get it but i love it i really dont tbink i have seen eqaull optics in this price range

Last edited by newbweatherby; April 22, 2016 at 09:25 AM.