The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old November 17, 2012, 07:34 PM   #26
musicmatty

My wife wanted a gun for home defense and ..something that would make her feel safe I found a good O'l trustworthy (used) Winchester 12gauge model 120 Ranger at a local gun shop. Lots and lots of very nice used Winchesters turning up in gun shops for a very good price in this bad economy.

Like any weapon, one has to spend enough time with it to bond. She can now rack it with her eye's closed and blow your balls off in the dark The sound of a 12 gauge being racked, should be unsettling for most any folk poking around where they shouldn't be
Attached Images
File Type: jpg shooting.jpg (202.7 KB, 39 views)
Old November 17, 2012, 07:52 PM   #27
TurkeyOak

+1 for Mossberg Maverick 88. I got mine in January 2012 for $169 on sale.
+1 for 20 gauge & practice
-1 for pistol grip only. You need a real stock and need to aim, not just point and pray.
Old November 17, 2012, 08:41 PM   #28
youngunz4life

Quote:
That's where we differ. I firmly believe that if someone is not going to get training and learn to use a weapon then buying a gun is the worst thing they could do. No gun is a magic wand. and it's just too easy to take one away from someone with no training and especially if they are slow to use it. I say find time to take her out and get her interested in shooting then find her a gun that she will actually enjoy using. A .22 pistol that she is willing to use will beat the shotgun she's afraid of.
She can learn to use it and fire it in the backyard a few times for starters. She'll have a better chance if the SHTF at 3am with the shotgun rather than the handgun.If she is a responsible woman, I have no problem with her having a firearm in the home for HomeDefense even if she isn't too good with firearms. Lack of training becomes more important if she had one for CCW. That being said, please don't misinterpret what I said as training isn't important. I am NOT recommending she buy a firearm and not know anything about it andor how to use it. She definitely needs to use a it a couple times at least for starters and to know how to operate it safely(before, during, and after use). She should be able to do this if she is serious about purchasing a shotgun for home defense/self defense. Also, my opinions in this thread are directed specifically for this case only(as every situation can be unique).
Old November 17, 2012, 09:56 PM   #29
vytoland

Quote:
She has no experience with firearms

she had better get some practice with the firearm she finally purchases.

what makes you thinl she can handle a shotgun? planning and research needs to go before you just buy a gun!
Old November 18, 2012, 12:18 AM   #30
youngunz4life

Quote:
planning and research needs to go before you just buy a gun!
who said they weren't doing this
Old November 18, 2012, 08:30 AM   #31
Rifleman1952

Lot's of good suggestions. I tend to agree with those who are emphasizing training and practice. It is a huge mistake for any person to buy a firearm and stick it away in a drawer, never to be touched until the unthinkable happens. I suspect this happens way too often. The mindset of these folks, regarding a firearm in the home, is akin to having a fire extinguisher in the home. They have one but rarely pay any attention to it. Most everyone at TFL would agree that simply is not an appropriate or safe way of looking at firearms.

Handling a firearm safely, should be second nature, and that only comes with practice and training. Now, this doesn't mean she needs Navy Seal or Army Ranger training. She doesn't have to become the next Kim Rhode. She needs to be proficient and safe in handling and using any firearm.

I don't know anything about your sister's ex-husband, but I am familiar with many cases of domestic violence. I do know that protection orders from a judge, barring a determined and violent ex spouse from the premises, are meaningless. Hopefully, your sister's ex will move on.

Last edited by Rifleman1952; November 18, 2012 at 08:38 AM.
Old November 18, 2012, 02:19 PM   #32
springfield 720

my 10 yr. old can handle a 20 g. all day.. the 13 yr. old does the A-5 all day of shooting.. its not a matter of if she can handle a shotgun, its practicing and holding it right so she doesn't dislocate a shoulder... Especially if you decide to go with a hole opener like a slug..
Old November 18, 2012, 02:40 PM   #33
Pfletch83

I still stand by having her try all three gauges of Mossberg 500.

Because keep in mind SHE is the one that will be using it,not you,me,or john soandso down the way.
Old November 18, 2012, 08:46 PM   #34
TheKlawMan

Quote:
I don't know anything about your sister's ex-husband, but I am familiar with many cases of domestic violence. I do know that protection orders from a judge, barring a determined and violent ex spouse from the premises, are meaningless. Hopefully, your sister's ex will move on.
Perhaps, but out here if the little woman calls the police and shows them a protection order it is more likely that hubby gets arrested. The problem with getting one is just the fact that you seek an order can push someone over the edge. This is getting away from the OP's issue.
Old November 18, 2012, 09:48 PM   #35
MLeake

I think what he means is that protection orders only matter to people who care about such things as protection orders.

Domestic abusers and aggravated stalkers don't seem to be terribly concerned about pieces of paper.

Given a choice between a piece of paper, or a gun, I'll take the gun. I'll add to that good locks and lighting, and a couple large dogs. Collectively, that's much better protection and deterrent than any writ would be.
Old November 19, 2012, 01:21 AM   #36
Rifleman1952

The average police response time in the area where I live is about 20 minutes. It varies from place to place, but I would rather be prepared to defend my home and loved ones, than have to wait for the cavalry to arrive. A lot of bad things can happen in just one minute. If the OP has legitimate concerns about the safety of his sister, my advice would be she take whatever measures necessary to protect her children and herself. IMHO, learning to properly and safely handle a 20 gauge shotgun would be an important part of her safety plan.
Old November 19, 2012, 02:31 AM   #37
youngunz4life

oldsoul

any updates, OldSoul? Are you all still getting around to going to the store or have you been there yet?
Old November 20, 2012, 08:09 AM   #38
OldSoul

I have not taken her to the store yet but I probably will sometime this week. In the mean time I will probably have her come to my house in the sticks and teach her as much gun safety as I can and send her home with my Charles daly 20 until she can find one of her own. Yes I realize that police should be notified of domestic issues and they have we also have a cousin and uncle who are deputies in our county but that becomes a mute point in a crisis. Her husband at one time was a very good man and I have the upmost respect for what he has done for our country but after two violent tours to Iraq he has never been the same. He can't keep a job or his temperament so much so that the VA psych will no longer see him. This is the situation she is in.
Old November 23, 2012, 02:04 AM   #39
TheKlawMan

You don't understand the purpose of a protective order. It isn't going to keep a severely agitated person away in many cases, but it may keep someone from coming around and then losing control.

Of course, if it doesn't do the job you need to be able to protect yourself while waiting for the mounties. It is no guarantee that they don't blow the order off, but they are more likely to take the problem into custody than they are without a protective order. They are also more likely to respond and to respond sooner if 911 knows you have a protective order.

You may also be on better legal grounds if you have a protective order against whom you shoot.

Last edited by TheKlawMan; November 23, 2012 at 02:13 AM.
Old November 23, 2012, 02:12 AM   #40
TheKlawMan

Reading what you just posted I strongly suggest that your sister talk with someone who counsels abused women. Hopefully someone suggested by the local police or sherrif's department but someone. Perhaps your uncle or cousin can make some calls, perhaps to her PD if she is outside of your county, and get her talking with someone.
Old November 23, 2012, 05:43 AM   #41
Rifleman1952

TheKlawMan

Quote:
You don't understand the purpose of a protective order. It isn't going to keep a severely agitated person away in many cases, but it may keep someone from coming around and then losing control.
I'm not saying the OP's sister should not get a protection order. As long as she understands the order will not necessarily protect her from anything. The problem with protection orders, in most jurisdictions I'm aware of, is that the consequences for violating such an order are little more than a slap on the wrist. The defendant is usually released from custody the next day. There definitely should be stiffer consequences for violating those orders. I agree that the OP's sister needs a comprehensive security plan that involves the court, law enforcement, family and most importantly, her own instincts. Becoming proficient with a firearm, would be just one very important part of her overall security plan.

Last edited by Rifleman1952; November 23, 2012 at 06:12 AM.
Old November 23, 2012, 08:23 AM   #42
OldSoul

She has decided not to get a shotgun no matter my kicking and screaming but is opting for a taser. Thank you for all the great replies.
Old November 24, 2012, 02:32 AM   #43
TheKlawMan

Quote:
I'm not saying the OP's sister should not get a protection order. As long as she understands the order will not necessarily protect her from anything. The problem with protection orders, in most jurisdictions I'm aware of, is that the consequences for violating such an order are little more than a slap on the wrist. The defendant is usually released from custody the next day. There definitely should be stiffer consequences for violating those orders. I agree that the OP's sister needs a comprehensive security plan that involves the court, law enforcement, family and most importantly, her own instincts. Becoming proficient with a firearm, would be just one very important part of her overall security plan.
You are right on all counts, but what does that say abot judges and the laws? This is beyond the scope of the shotgun forum but judges that fail to use their powers to protect women, and in some cases men, from abuse should be shown the door.

As for the OP's sister's decision not to get a shotgun, she is probably better off. The one thing she does not want to do is take it out and then not be able to pull the trigger. I don't know about tasers but how about heavy duty pepper spray and a self defense course - something she may be steered into by a women's abuse counseloor.

Tags
double barrel shotgun , mossberg 500