The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old July 26, 2010, 11:45 PM   #26
engineermike

I only load pistol but I use the "New Dimention Dies" by Hornady. I'm a whore for free bullets.

Mike
Old July 27, 2010, 12:42 AM   #27
Lost Sheep

Old thread, timeless question

I am in the process of upgrading all my pistol RCBS and Lyman dies to Lee.

The lee case mouth belling die allows charging with powder through the center of the die. You can use a funnel (with a charge thrown from a powder dispenser into a cup or from a Lee powder dipper) or using the Lee powder dispenser that mounts directly on the die and is actuated by the action of the press. Super convenient.

The operation of the Sizing/depriming die is the same as any other manufacturers' dies. The operation of the bullet seating/crimping die is, also. But Lee has their "Factory Crimp Die which puts a proper crimp on the brass just as other manufacturers' crimp dies do but the Lee die passes the cartridge through another sizing that also supports the brass to prevent buckling if you are putting on a super-strong crimp.

Seem like good ideas. That they are less expensive than others is a bonus.

However, the locking rings leave something to be desired. Their positioning is by "O" rings, but they don't hold securely if you are not careful when handling them. Likewise the RCBS lock rings with the set screw; better, but not anything like the split rings that Pacific uses. When you tighten those, they stay put.

I may still be looking for the perfect dies, but I am getting closer.

Lost Sheep
Old July 27, 2010, 07:47 AM   #28
old_folks

As to "Let him say what he wants, what's the harm in it?"

Well, the harm could be that some one, with little regard for his own safety, could try to duplicate that load and end up in a heap of trouble. Just my $ 0.02 worth.
Old July 27, 2010, 08:32 PM   #29
BigJakeJ1s

Lee makes two types of Factory Crimp Die. The original FCD, for rifle, and now also bottleneck pistol cartridges, uses a collet to crimp the case mouth. It works extremely well.

The Carbide FCD, for straight wall pistol cartridges, has a conventional crimp ring (roll or taper crimp, as appropriate for the cartridge), and a post sizing carbide ring at the bottom of the die. This ring does not support the case to prevent buckling during crimping, but merely irons any buckling back out as the cartridge is withdrawn from the die. IMHO, if the CFCD post sizes a cartridge, it is only ironing over a problem that needs to be found and fixed at its source. In addition, the 45 colt CFCD I have has an oversized crimp ring which is roughly machined, allowing the case mouth to slip under/inside it without finishing the roll, and scratching the case mouth along the way.

Lee has a "Bulge Buster Kit" which can be used to convert a CFCD to a push-through pre-sizer to get rid of the bulge in a rimless case that has been fired in poorly supported chambers.

Andy
Old July 27, 2010, 09:39 PM   #30
TXGunNut

As someone mentioned (years ago!) I also prefer both green ones, slight edge to the Redding. Next for me is Dillon, then Hornady, Lee and Lyman. Reddings seem to be well worth the few extra bucks, Dillon's definitely are when using their presses-at least they were 20 yrs ago. Kinda curious about Wilson and Forster but not sure my rifles and limited marksmanship skills could take advantage of any edge in quality.
My favorite recipes start out with a handful of used wheelweights.
Old July 27, 2010, 10:33 PM   #31
billcarey

I like Lymans...They have decent lock rings and include two different bullet nose seats with pistol sets. The two step expander M die works great and isn't available by other mfgs to my knowledge. Their multi expand powder though die includes conversions for 6 calibers and a drop tube. The machine work is precise and shows it in fit, finish and loading. Lymans are just easy dies to use and do everything they are supposed to for my needs.

My Hornadys come in second in all respects except for finish...I don't care for their zip decapper because it has zero tolerance for less than perfect alignment (the Lyman pin centers itself everytime). The Hornady crimp is very sensitive to adjustment and is abrupt (Lyman is the opposite). The expander is ok but not a close cigar to the Lyman M. The Hornady seater alignment sleeve works good if you need it...I never have. It did come with two different bullet seaters though.

Both brands are knurled and I like the grip it provides. Lymans have a quality storage box (including die wrench) that is virtually unbreakable. The Hornadys I bought a few weeks back have an el cheapo plastic box (no wrench) and it isn't so durable.
Old July 28, 2010, 01:09 AM   #32
Lost Sheep

Thanks, Andy

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJakeJ1s
Lee makes two types of Factory Crimp Die. The original FCD, for rifle, and now also bottleneck pistol cartridges, uses a collet to crimp the case mouth. It works extremely well.

The Carbide FCD, for straight wall pistol cartridges, has a conventional crimp ring (roll or taper crimp, as appropriate for the cartridge), and a post sizing carbide ring at the bottom of the die. This ring does not support the case to prevent buckling during crimping, but merely irons any buckling back out as the cartridge is withdrawn from the die. IMHO, if the CFCD post sizes a cartridge, it is only ironing over a problem that needs to be found and fixed at its source. In addition, the 45 colt CFCD I have has an oversized crimp ring which is roughly machined, allowing the case mouth to slip under/inside it without finishing the roll, and scratching the case mouth along the way.

Lee has a "Bulge Buster Kit" which can be used to convert a CFCD to a push-through pre-sizer to get rid of the bulge in a rimless case that has been fired in poorly supported chambers.

Andy
Thanks for the education. I have yet to use one of these type dies and look forward to learning more about them. I only know right now what I have heard, and that is little enough.

Lost Sheep (getting found)
Old July 29, 2010, 12:59 AM   #33
Mike-Mat

I like the Lee dies.

Mike
Old July 29, 2010, 02:12 AM   #34
Sport45

Quote:
...who makes the best Dies for the money?
Lee gets my vote for this. But I don't give the red and green boxes they came in any credit.
Old July 30, 2010, 04:08 PM   #35
Winterhawk56

I have always used RCBS! Never had an issue
Old July 30, 2010, 05:13 PM   #36
Farmland

I have them all and to be honest either will do. However I do like the easy take down of the Dillon dies. Notice I said feature not that I rank them above another die.

However I'm not sure I am sold on the Hornady set up for the seating die.

I hate dies that rust fast.

Any takers on which ones they are.
Old July 30, 2010, 05:18 PM   #37
4V50 Gary
Staff

Thank you Jeff. Interesting to learn that you only had an 1/8" difference between the dies.
Old July 30, 2010, 08:17 PM   #38
jmortimer

Veral Smith inventor or Lead Bullets Technology ("LBT") make the best molds
http://www.lbtmoulds.com/
Old July 31, 2010, 02:12 PM   #39
wncchester

R.Childs - The following is my opinion and my opinion only. .... Wilson dies. I can't believe they haven't been mentioned. Best dies on the market. Use them on my 6ppc. If you haven't used them, you owe it to yourself to do so."

Wonder which press you use them in? Seems that would matter a bit.

Interesting that some would suggest that they think (?) XXX is "best" at the same time they say they haven't used the others. How much value is in an opinion based on no experience with anything else?

And Hart makes the best barrels.

Last edited by wncchester; July 31, 2010 at 05:38 PM.
Old August 1, 2010, 04:25 PM   #40
billcarey

Quote:
Interesting that some would suggest that they think (?) XXX is "best" at the same time they say they haven't used the others. How much value is in an opinion based on no experience with anything else?
I look at it this way...hypothetically speaking that is. A smart inexperienced guy can talk to 20 credible experts with hands on experience and add some research to get a pretty good idea of reality. There is plenty of solid data around these days that used to be very difficult for a newbie to find. He doesn't need hands on experience to get there and his opinion is less likely to be brand biased.

Otherwise, the single individual with hands on experience probably doesn't know as much as the 20 experts do but thinks he does. He is likely brand biased and assumes he knows what is best for everyone because it works for him. I'd say his hands on experience is valuable but the inexperienced guys opinion is more accurate...and valuable.

bc
Old August 1, 2010, 04:34 PM   #41
mxreloader

i use lee and hornady dies myself and i like the hornady the best
Old August 3, 2010, 01:12 PM   #42
trough308

+1 for Lee carbide. "Best" is most affordable to me, these days!
Old August 3, 2010, 08:24 PM   #43
dlb435

Lee is the best for the price. I've had better results with RCBS or Dillon dies but they cost a lot more. Please understand that a well adjusted Lee die will work every bit as good as the RCBS or Dillon die. It's just that the RCBS and Dillon dies were easier to set up and use.
My best advice is to match your dies to your press. I've found that Dillon dies work best with the Dillon press and so on.
Old August 6, 2010, 12:44 PM   #44
johnjohn

I have Lyman,Lee,RCBS,and Hornady.A few of each and am well satisfied with all of 'em.
Old August 6, 2010, 01:32 PM   #45
thesheepdog

Redding or Forster

Hornady are alirght, but I have broken one already. Lee's are okay too. Never used an RCBS, but i do have their powder check die.
Old January 25, 2017, 10:43 AM   #46
webphut74

I know this is an old thread, but I thought I would add my .02, I have only used 2 brands. I use RCBS, because that's what my dad used. I learned to reload from him, so I use those 97% of the time. Second, I use Wilson. Wilson only for finicky reloading. 6mm ppc. That 3% though is in actuality, is 97% of if my reloading since it involves so much work to reload. The wilsons dies don't use a conventional reloading press. You use an arbor press with these, which I have bought mine from K&M. If you use a big roper Whitney arbor press(Dake), be sure to machine an adapter for pressure gauge and buy a really nice gauge from machinists supply company. Roper whitney are plush, but way big. Very sweet press though.
Old January 25, 2017, 11:17 PM   #47
William T. Watts

I've used dies and other tooling from all the manufacturers in my 45 years loading ammunition and been well pleased, but I must admit RCBS is my favorite.. William
Old January 26, 2017, 06:42 PM   #48
RC20

I am going to try to channel Guffey here

I have RCBS dies, I have Lee Dies, I have Forestor dies I have - measure first, but last, I have transfers .............................

Well I do have all of the above and they all work. Not sure I could tell the difference.

Recently I got Forester 30-06 sizing die and a seating die as I was curious and wanted to keep the RCBS sedater with the Junior for COAL adjustments at the range.

Bit in the butt, it only works for one caliber, RCBS does any 30-06 base bullet with the adaptor.

First thing I did was break the pin in the Forester as it turns out I had mixed in some HXP and the remnant of the crimps was enough to cause the pin to break. Hmmm. Ok, supposedly the floating pin aligns beter but you darned well better not have ex military brass. You don't get something for nothing.

Now that's the first odd brass that got mixed in in a very long time, so timing was bad.

My take is they are all fine dies. I prefer RCBS, you break anything and they just send you parts. Forester identified my problem fine, they did not send parts. That's ok, but you can't help but feel fond of RCBS when they help you out of sometimes your own mistakes.

They have done so on other equipment that was not as well done as it should be (the universal primer tool tray holder)

Does the Forester thing work better than the RCBS comp die seating thing?

RCBS is a bit easier to use and I can do two calibers seating with it (and more if I needed to)

Lee pistol dies I have are just fine.

So take your pick, just be sure they work the same way you think they do and keep in mind support.
Old January 27, 2017, 03:01 PM   #49
disseminator

I think this notion of "best for the money" is silly.

A few more dollars over the course of thousands of rounds loaded means nothing so get the dies you want the first time.

I started with RCBS but feel they as a company are riding along on a reputation the current owners did not earn. I have some RCBS dies that are perfect, but I have just as many that are rust magnets and sloppy as all get out.

With one exception, I have perfect experience with my Redding dies and have about 80% Redding vs RCBS now.

I have a set of Carbide Redding dies for my 460 Magnum that were over $90 and they are great dies but I feel the resizing die oversizes and so I use my RCBS carbide 45 colt die instead and it works great.

I use Premium Series dies for rifle and they are excellent.

As for which dies are the "best"? The one that work the best for YOU.

Last edited by disseminator; January 27, 2017 at 03:08 PM.
Old January 27, 2017, 09:40 PM   #50
axismatt

Really? 6mm PPC? Scores an 8.9 on the obscurity scale and i'm pretty sure the OP was asking as a new reloader. Its these posts that make it sooo hard to find solid information here anymore.

To the OP... the answer was given a few posts back. What ever works best for you. But for the money, LEE is the least expensive brand to get started with. They make a product that is more than sufficient to learn with, and many use them for generations.

Beyond that, I believe your specific needs for each cartridge / firearm / press combination will dictate the best die for the job. I urge you to trust the opinions of forum members less, and instead, research the specific application. Narrow your search. "Who makes the best dies for ????". Otherwise, you might as well ask who makes the best beer.