The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Old July 12, 2011, 01:07 PM   #76
FAS1

Quote:
I have 4 guns, a Sig 226, GLock 23, Kahr PM9 and Bersa .380. Do you have or know where I can get a safe that I can get all those in without having to haul it in on a two wheel dolly.
My safe is only designed to store your HD handgun. There are several kinds of small safes avail. You need to decide what you are looking for in a safe. Some people don't like electronic locks. Some people don't like biometric scanners. Some people don't like mechanical locks. You will find most of the handgun safes made of pretty light gauge steel regardless of what type lock they use. My preference is stronger steel and a mechanical pushbutton lock (Simplex). I like the Ft. Knox for holding a couple of handguns (not sure it will hold all 4) because it is 11 gauge body and 7 gauge door. If you decide to buy something make sure you bolt it down to something solid.

Quote:
Maybe I could get one vault for the bedside that would hold 1 gun and keep the other 3 in a separate vault in the closet.
If I went this route it would be the Ft. Knox in the closet and FAS1 Safe next to my bed.

No Long guns? Maybe a real safe (RSC) in the closet.
Old July 12, 2011, 01:57 PM   #77
drew332

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregInAtl View Post
Which model of GunVault http://www.gunvault.com/ do you have? Would it hold my 4 guns: Sig 226, Glock 23, Kahr PM9, Bersa .380, or at leat 3 of them? Maybe I could get one vault for the bedside that would hold 1 gun and keep the other 3 in a separate vault in the closet.
GregInAtl - the GunVault model I have is here:

http://www.gunvault.com/handgun-safe...ti-deluxe.html

Our police union got a deal on these about 10 years ago and a bunch of us purchased them. Never had an issue with it and it's served me well thus far. You can easily fit 2 handguns on each shelf if you angle them properly.

All of these handguns, as mentioned in my previous post, were removed from this safe for the photo and are normally stored in this manner. It is kind of a tight to fit them all on the same shelf, but I think 3 would be no problem. As you can also see, I can still fit more ammo/mags or whatever on the bottom shelf in back. (my Gerber LMF knife has been attached to my chest rig in preparation for a training class next weekend)
Old July 13, 2011, 07:58 AM   #78
excelerater

ready for battle,always loaded always safteys off
Old July 15, 2011, 11:28 PM   #79
ScotchMan

I would use a safe regardless. The Gunvaults with the hand print buttons are great for opening in the dark, and they fit IN the nightstand in many cases. I'd also use a revolver, but that's my personal preference. I like sidestepping the whether to keep it chambered or not discussion, and I don't like single action for high stress situations.

I would add, delicately, that if your wife is uncomfortable with a loaded, chambered, gun on the nightstand, to hell with what everyone else thinks. Genuinely changing her mind is one thing, but saying "we're doing this because everyone says its ok" isn't fair. I hope I'm not overstepping the boundaries here, but if I were in her position I would probably resent this thread. She's the one who has to live there after all.
Old July 21, 2011, 11:28 AM   #80
NightSleeper

I keep my 'bedside' gun loaded with one in the chamber. But my 'bedside' gun isn't on/in the nightstand. It's in a small gun safe on my nightstand, one of those easy to open push button ones.

I don't like the idea of leaving a gun outside of the safe in my house unless I'm carrying it.

Edit: I should have read the above posts. My gunvault is similar to drew332's as shown in his picture. It's secure and quick to get in hand at a moment's notice.
Old July 21, 2011, 11:32 AM   #81
GeauxTide

1911, Condition 1. 870 Tactical near, loaded, chambered and safety on.
Old July 21, 2011, 11:42 AM   #82
FAS1

This is left handed. I shot the video with my right hand to show someone that asked to see it open and close. It took me 2.5 seconds to have my gun in my hand and I don't do anything well left handed It takes longer to wake up and assess the threat.

If you want to keep a handgun secure but accessible when needed any of the above mentioned ways will help you do that. Just be sure and practice.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CcJUGuB35y8
Old July 21, 2011, 07:35 PM   #83
excelerater

glock27 one in the chamber
gun is a cheap holster in nightstand w flashlight......

10 feet from mossberg 500......the shotty is better for home invasions IMO
Old July 21, 2011, 08:14 PM   #84
MH

Revolver

I keep a .357 magnum, cylinder open, with a speed loader in it. If I plan to use it, I twist the speed loader, close the cylinder, ready to go. In the morning, I pull the speed loader and rounds.
Old July 21, 2011, 08:14 PM   #85
GM2

12 gauge DB barrel's cut to 18 1/2 " overall length 35" loaded with #1buck

model 64 S&W Revolver 38 spec plus P ammo. ( both loaded 24-7)

Last edited by GM2; July 22, 2011 at 11:37 AM.
Old July 21, 2011, 09:02 PM   #86
bigredfish

Condition 1, loaded with one in the chamber. P229 SCT with a Streamlight TLR-1 and CT grips.

I dont want to have to fumble with 1) chambering a round, 2) messing with a safety, 3)aquiring a sight picture, or 4) trying to find a light switch.

All four take time and some degree of dexterity at 3am. It's nice having these things taken care of for me and allow me to focus on the threat.
Old July 22, 2011, 06:34 AM   #87
output

Quote:
Originally Posted by C0untZer0
This subject has come up on another thread.

To me, if I'm serious about needing a pistol for HD, then it is loaded with a round in the chamber.

I know myself well enough that I am not going to be able to wake up from a sound sleep and start loading the thing and racking it.

What assumptions are being made in that situation? That you become aware of an intruder the very first second he enters your house?

To each his own, but my opinion is that if you feel that you can load your pistol for HD, then you've already made a threat assesment of what you're going to be facing. Hopefully reality doesn't run contrary to your assumptions.
I agree with just about everything C0unterZer0 stated.

There have been quite a few home invasions in my area where the intruder(s) made it all the way to the homeowner’s bedside. In each case, the homeowners woke up with intruders standing over them. In those cases having a HD firearm on the nightstand probably would not have made much of a difference. My point? There is no real way of knowing when you will realize someone has broken into your home. You might have 5 minutes to prepare or a little as 1.5 seconds.

I keep my bedroom door locked, my dogs sleep in my room, and my firearm(s) are loaded with a round in the camber. I keep my Glock 22 and 1300 defender both loaded and ready. The Glock is on the nightstand and the 1300 is within arm’s reach.

Quote:
Do you folks that don't have any kids in the house that keep your gun loaded with a round in the chamber at night, do you remove the round in the chamber every morning and then load it again at night or do you just keep it "ready to go" at all times.
It stays in the ready at all times. The only time they are unloaded is when I clean them or they are taking a trip to the range. Why would I worry about taking the round out of the chamber every morning? If I did that I probably wouldn’t remember to re-chamber the round when I get home in the evenings. I lock the door to the safe when I leave and unlock when I get back home.

I no longer have this 1911 but it is the same setup with my Glock22:

Last edited by output; July 22, 2011 at 06:48 AM.
Old July 22, 2011, 06:50 AM   #88
Maxem0815

Mossberg 500 181/2 inch bbl with night sights loaded with #4 shot next to the bed upright and my M-9 with night sights in a combat rig loaded with frangible rounds hanging on the bed post next to the 500. Condition 1.
Cloths & Boots on the floor!
Mace
Old July 22, 2011, 08:07 AM   #89
MikeNice81

I work the overnight shift. So, I sleep opposite of my wife and kid. While I'm snoozing they are at work and school. That means I don't have to worry about my kid getting her hands on the gun. Since that is the case I just leave it laying on the night stand. I don't keep it on top of the night stand. I do keep it where it is open and easy to grab.

It is loaded with 17 rounds of 147gr Winchester Ranger Bonded ammunition. 16 rounds in the mag and 1 in the hole. The second mag is loaded with 16 rounds of the same thing.

When my kid is home I put the gun in the night stand drawer. It still stays loaded 16+1.
Old July 22, 2011, 08:11 AM   #90
45Gunner

No little kids in my house to be concerned about so my night stand gun is a 1911 .45 ACP Condition One in a stand built by Man About Racks. My flashlight and eye glasses are mounted in the same stand so everything I would need are together. I also keep my BUG holstered in condition one near by with two full magazines in a mag holder.

Just for chuckles, my Mossberg shotgun and AR-15 hang on a gun rack over my bed and they are loaded and ready to go.
NRA Life Member
Old July 22, 2011, 08:13 AM   #91
MikeNice81

Quote:
I would keep a round in the chamber at night but I find it a hassle in the morning to have to drop the magazine out and eject the round in the chamber and put it back in the magazine.
Why would you do that? I would just leave it loaded and put it away. Better yet I put mine in the top of the closet. Then I go get in the shower. When I get out of the shower I go to the closet, get dressed, and strap my gun on my hip.

Then I am ready for the day.
Old July 22, 2011, 09:39 AM   #92
SRH78

I don't have little kids in the house so my revolvers are always loaded. If I had a semi, I would keep a round in the chamber.
Old July 22, 2011, 09:49 AM   #93
Mrgunsngear

Remington 870 Marine Magnum and FNP45 Tactical both with one in the chamber, ready to roll.
Old July 22, 2011, 02:54 PM   #94
skoro

Quote:
Do you have the magazine in your gun and a round in the chamber while you sleep or do you keep the magazine outside the gun until you need it?
My home defense guns are all revolvers. And they're kept fully loaded, with an additional speed loader ready for a quick recharge, if needed.
Old July 31, 2011, 03:42 PM   #95
Gossettc68

Beretta .40 Cal loaded with one in the pipe sits on my nightstand. And on the wife's side she has the pump shotgun.
Old July 31, 2011, 04:51 PM   #96
Boatme98

Old thread, but I'll answer.
One on each stand. Loaded, chambered, no saftey.
No, there are no children within miles of the house.
Old July 31, 2011, 09:57 PM   #97
baddarryl

One in chamber, safety on, under pillow!
Old July 31, 2011, 10:12 PM   #98
Nnobby45

I keep a P226 9mm in an Uncle Mike' holster afixed to the rear of a dresser. Next to it is a set of Peltor electronic muffs. Nearby, an 870 with SureFire. All are right next to the bathroom which I can duck into, or I can stand behind another dresser and guard the bedroom door.

On my nightstand is my carry gun. P220, P229, or P228 typically.
Old July 31, 2011, 10:23 PM   #99
sandbag

Nightstand Gun

When my grandaughter isn't staying over,I have either a RIA 38 Super in Condition 1 or my Glock 20 loaded with one in the hamber.
When she is staying over,I keep the Glock concealed with a magazine loaded and an empty chamber.
Old July 31, 2011, 11:02 PM   #100
Bernie Lomax

For everyone that keeps a gun in/on their nightstand while they sleep at night, I would pose this question:

Do you have the magazine in your gun and a round in the chamber while you sleep or do you keep the magazine outside the gun until you need it?

Mine is an LCP, which has a very heavy DA trigger, so it's kept hot. (I know what everyone's probably thinking: No, I do not rely only on an LCP for home defense. The LCP is just a BUG to my 590A1 Persuader that's leaning up against the wall next to the bed.)