The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: General Handgun Forum

Old June 18, 2011, 09:42 PM   #1
Mr.Blue

Am I A Nut?

While watching television I like to sit with a UNLOADED handgun and hold it in my hands. I aim it, manipulate the trigger, and dry fire it. I also work out the most comfortable grip for each gun. I do this for familiarity and practice with different triggers and grips.

My wife, mother, and friends from anti-gun NY all think I'm some future Charles Whitman or something. I tell them about how important trigger control is, but I get sheepish grins in response. In all seriousness, they don't really worry about me being nuts, but think I'm obsessed with firearms.

Does anyone else do this?

Last edited by Mr.Blue; June 19, 2011 at 02:23 AM.
Old June 18, 2011, 09:44 PM   #2
GeauxTide

Yes

We do only get one gun, but we can have lots of revolvers and pistols.
Old June 18, 2011, 09:47 PM   #3
Mr.Blue

???
Old June 18, 2011, 10:13 PM   #4
Smaug

I do it sometimes, but only in front of my wife.

It makes others nervous; they feel like there's an accidental discharge coming up that is going to kill them, because that's how the news makes it sound: the old chestnut: "He was cleaning his gun and it went off, killing his baby sister"

"Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength."
- Eric Hoffer
Old June 18, 2011, 10:15 PM   #5
9mm

I don't play with my guns unless I am at the range. I will dry fire it sometimes after clearing it and puting it away. No I do not sit at the TV and start aimming it at things.

The only thing my gun barrels need to be pointing at is paper targets or the guy weilding a knife/gun and coming at me.
Old June 18, 2011, 10:26 PM   #6
MLeake

I'm all for dry-fire, especially with a new gun, but not so much with an audience. My lady doesn't mind the concept, but I'm pretty sure the constant clicking would annoy her when she's trying to read or watch tv.

I would never dream of sitting around dry-firing with house guests, or as somebody else's house guest. Some might find it annoying; some might find it amusing first, then annoying later; and some would probably be freaked out.

So, while I won't call the OP a "nut," I will say his behavior is not socially acceptable in the eyes of many, and it might be a good idea to modify such behavior.
Old June 18, 2011, 10:28 PM   #7
Smaug

A couple more thoughts on this

Some folks occasionally type things like: "It is loaded and sitting on my desk next to me as I type this." indicating that they're always ready for trouble, because the gun is close at hand and loaded.

You, on the other hand, have the gun close at (in) hand, but it is unloaded, so you may be even less ready. (although the odds are admittedly low that someone would choose to break in at that moment) Maybe a loaded magazine or speedloader is close at hand too?

You mentioned your justification of becoming familiar with the trigger action and the feel of the gun. I don't kid myself in this regard. I just do it because it makes me happy, it doesn't cost anything, and it doesn't harm anyone. The difference in stress level between when I'm manipulating the gun on my couch while watching TV and being at the range is totally different, so it doesn't really feel the same to me. Let alone in a moment of stress. The long, heavy DA pull of a DA revolver would probably not feel long and heavy any more.

Lastly, revolvers are far superior to autos for this type of "use." There's so much more mechanical magic going on. It is quiet, almost like heavy clockwork, instead of things slamming around, as on an auto.

"Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength."
- Eric Hoffer
Old June 18, 2011, 11:14 PM   #8
shaunpain

The great thing about revolvers is that most of them, as far as I know, can be dry fired without injury to the firing pin.

You are not a nut, unless I am one as well. I regularly watch movies, and at the suspenseful parts where I believe our protaganists most assuredly SHOULD have a gun, I grab mine and fondle it. Whatever, if gets rid of my willies!

I, of course, only do this in private!!
Old June 18, 2011, 11:15 PM   #9
Mr.Blue

Let me clarify:

My mom moved in with us, so she may come down to the kitchen for tea and see me with a handgun in my hand.

My wife is basically the only one who sees this behavior regularly.

My friends from NY never witnessed it in person, but my wife will tell them when they call on the phone "he's on the couch playing with a .45 pointing it at Liberals". They then call me a nut. I don't really aim at the tv (alla Travis Bickle in "Taxi Driver"), but more so at the woods behind my house or pictures on the wall.

I always have another loaded weapon hidden nearby, as well as 3 dogs to protect me. I am always at the ready.

Last edited by Mr.Blue; June 18, 2011 at 11:23 PM.
Old June 18, 2011, 11:20 PM   #10
MLeake

So which do you think her friends find more disturbing: that you dry-fire practice in the house, or that you do so by aiming at Liberals?
Old June 18, 2011, 11:24 PM   #11
shaunpain

With the sig on Mr Blue's post, I highly doubt he's undergunned (I am a wee bit jealous... Okay, actually pretty jealous).

And to all the liberals, we're all psychotic I'm sure.
Old June 18, 2011, 11:26 PM   #12
Mr.Blue

They are my friends and the "liberal" part is her attempt at humor. Her friends don't know we have guns. Btw, my friends from NY are actually conservative, but being brought up in NYC, don't know much about guns. Growing up in NYC we were taught that if someone had guns they were some fringe lunatic. Only cops and criminals have guns in NYC.

Last edited by Mr.Blue; June 18, 2011 at 11:40 PM.
Old June 18, 2011, 11:34 PM   #13
shaunpain

I live in Chicago and you're right, no matter the camp you stem from, all gun owners are crazies. With King Daley and Blago, the point has been driven home that gun control is "good" and owning a gun is "bad".

They've OBVIOUSLY never been held up before. Pffff...
Old June 19, 2011, 12:51 AM   #14
45Gunner

Actually, holding your gun while watching TV, aiming at the moving target on the screen and squeezing the trigger while noticing your follow-thru is excellent training. And, it is actually building muscle mass in your shooting arm. Those of us that are afflicted with your type of addiction fully understand and appreciate what you are doing.

The "outsiders" may truly believe you are a sick puppy and with absolutely no understanding, may attempt to have you committed. It is the ideal time to explain how you are training yourself and take the opportunity to perhaps let the nay-sayers hold the gun, assuring them that it is empty and unloaded by teaching them how to check it, and then give them their first lesson on gun safety, followed by proper grip, and then let them pull the trigger on the empty gun. This may do a lot to dispel the fear that anti-gunners cling to for it is the unknown that they usually fear.
NRA Life Member
Old June 19, 2011, 01:01 AM   #15
LarryFlew

I agree with the practicing but still can't tell if you are a nut or not.
Old June 19, 2011, 01:04 AM   #16
youngunz4life

I've always been a touchyfeely guy: hold my coins as a preteen pondering the old date(my mom thought it was a waste of money), powerhugging my wife, putting my arm around her, holding the baby, picking up the gun every once in a while and just holding it for a minute or replacing it in a better spot for the rest of the night. Joking around here, but I am actually being completely serious too. At night sometimes the revolver will go high on a shelf close by, and then when its late night(everyone asleep it can come closer to the computer or next to me on the couch. These are just examples, and things can vary night to night, week to week, etc. Also, there are an abundance of other, unmentioned examples(relating to firearms or just other fun things: canned food, cash, change, lottery tix, pictures, the usual. ps- still joking+being serious at same time.

I don't dryfire much(my revolvers are loaded), but I am not knocking the practice. Sometimes in an extremely safe setting, I will cock the revolver and go thru steps to safely uncock it without firing a round. Again, if by extreme small chance a round went off the setting is safe and weapon towards ground. One more note, I'll pick up the revolver @ anytime around my wife, but I don't in front of the kids if I can help it.

all the best, gunz
Old June 19, 2011, 01:16 AM   #17
youngunz4life

I would also like to add

on the subject of this thread:

I don't really feel comfortable with the firearm thing around the family(as one example to the 'guest' issue mentioned by the OP). By the way I am guessing you aren't nuts if said individuals only grin sometimes and they know you won't go bonkers on them.

My mom-in-law will come by and probably doesn't even notice the gun on the shelf or whatever, but my parents and visiting them with my CCW(not mentioning it) or them visiting us for a week and the gun thing sort of bugs me. Theres no real reason; I guess its just me as its obviously our home. My dad is interested in the shotgun and stuff but I just don't really go past that(they have never owned a firearm except my dad does have a rifle from vietnam which he has never shot to my knowledge).
Old June 19, 2011, 01:19 AM   #18
Big Bill

Quote:
Am I A Nut?
YES! Either that, or you're just ignorant. Why would you do something that makes your family nervous and uncomfortable? Practice dry firing when you are out of the house, alone.
There is only one tactical principle which is not subject to change. It is to use the means at hand to inflict the maximum amount of wound, death, and destruction on the enemy in the minimum amount of time." - General George Patton Jr
Old June 19, 2011, 01:33 AM   #19
Mr.Blue

@Big Bill, I am hardly ignorant. The whole post is obviously tongue in cheek, as my wife doesn't actually think I am nuts. They aren't uncomfortable either. They just don't get the obsession or the dry firing. They think I'm playing with it like a toy, not understanding that many gun enthusiasts practice trigger control like this.

Now go get a can of Raid and kill the bug up your butt. No need to get insulting.

Last edited by Mr.Blue; June 19, 2011 at 02:47 AM.
Old June 19, 2011, 01:44 AM   #20
shaunpain

I think we're all nuts. How's that?!?

Yeah, I don't do it around anyone simply BECAUSE I don't want them to think I'm extremely weird in my gun addiction. Anyone who knows me already knows I'm coo coo for bang bang puffs.

Thanks for posting this. I think I'm going to dry fire my guns more while watching TV. My right index finger is gonna be BUFF!
Old June 19, 2011, 01:55 AM   #21
TenRing

Are you a nut?

Sir, your infatuation with firearms and persistent fantasizing of shooting scenarios would tend to indicate a preoccupation with violence.

This preoccupation is fueled by your identification with movie protagonists and an expressed desire to assault and shoot liberals. The vicarious playing out of violent scenarios is something that you have learned to hide from everyone except your wife, indicating that you are aware of deleterious effect that your behavior would probably have on your relationships if it were exposed. Now that your mother has moved in, it is possible that a third person is aware of this.

The euphoric feeling that you derive from the handling and manipulation of firearms is a manisfestation of deeply held antisocial beliefs and probably early childhood learning wherby you understood that you could exert some control over certain people by referring to firearms or brandishing weapons.

It is likely that the frequency of these antisocial episodes is increasing and you question your emotional stability by asking this forum whether you are a "nut". I suspect that you recognize a decreasing ability to control your violent impulses and you want help in this regard.

You are dealing with feelings of insecurity by hiding loaded weapons and using three dogs for protection. Has your feeling of insecurity increased since you received a new house guest? Are there other issues that tend to make you feel powerless to control your environment or the running of your home?

How does your mother react when she sees you on the couch with the gun in your hand? Do you suspect that she is uncomfortable? Does she say anything? Do you want her to say something or do you prefer that she not mention these episodes?

Are you a nut? Consult a local mental health professional and let him or her decide.
Old June 19, 2011, 02:08 AM   #22
Mr.Blue

Thanks, Frasier Crane. I just peed myself from laughing so hard. Thanks!
Old June 19, 2011, 02:10 AM   #23
TenRing

Glad to be of service!
Old June 19, 2011, 02:15 AM   #24
shaunpain

I wonder what Dr. Phil would say about all this hullaboo!
Old June 19, 2011, 02:19 AM   #25
Mr.Blue

Dr. Phil is from Texas. I'm sure he digs guns!

Tags
dryfire , family