The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Revolver Forum

Old June 6, 2011, 01:51 PM   #1
WrenchingNate

Old Spanish made 1925 rural model .38 special revolver

I had purchaced an old .38 special from one of my ex's family a while back and am looking for a part to fix the head spacing but I can't find any identifying marks on it. The only lettering I've found is on the barrel. On the left side it says = 38 Special CTG = with a little triangle pointing towards the letters on the outside of both equal signs. The top of the barrel has GUARANTEED 1925 "RURAL" MODEL on it. And the right side says USE US STANDARD AMMUNITION. There are some other markings but they appear to be pictograms of a man with his arms raised and legs spread, which are on the barrel, where the barrel joins the rest of the gun and on the revolving chamber. Just above the handle plates there is another pictogram of a gun riding a horse, reaching back with a swatter to smack the horse in the rear with the words trade mark arched over the etching. Any help in identifying this revolver would be MOST appreciated!!
Old June 6, 2011, 06:26 PM   #2
Jim Watson

Sounds like it is covered up with identifying marks.
The Rural revolver was made in the 1920s by Ojanguren y Vidosa in Eibar, Spain; just one of a multitude of Spanish knockoffs of S&W revolvers.

The guy with a swatter is a polo player, Ojanguren y Vidosa's trademark. The other stuff is mostly Spanish proof marks.

Availibility of replacement parts for an 85 year old minor make cheap gun is poor, I would say hopeless.

Materials are not the best; even if you get it fixed, it is not a strong gun. It migh well disintegrate under a +P load.