The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old February 7, 2006, 05:12 AM   #1
IndianaMan

Shotgun help?

I've read lots of good info here and was wondering if someone could help. I am interested in various types of shotguns but do not know the particulars about having them for private use in Indiana. I like to target shoot is the thing you see. Anyway, I was wondering about a "Classic" style shotgun with shoulder stock, a pistol grip shotgun, and perhaps a drum-fed shotgun. Any help about the particulars of ownership, recomendations, tips or license required in accordance with Indiana law would be appreciated because I am a rather new shotgun aficionado. Thank you for your time.
Old February 7, 2006, 02:59 PM   #2
exar

I live in Evansville, IN. Unless the law changed while i was asleep, the only requirements to purchase a shotgun are:
1. Money
2. Shirt and shoes
3. Must be 18

I own a Mossberg 835 with ported barrel. Great for target and fowel. I'll probably be getting a Remington 870 soon since the ported barrel on my Moss. is too light and cannot handle deer slugs and I can't remove the barrel to change it(damn thing is really stuck and i'm lacking tools). Good reason for another shotgun
Old February 7, 2006, 06:30 PM   #3
kudu

Welcome to the Firing Line IndianaMan,

You can buy just about any type of shotgun, except perhaps the drum fed type. They made one for a while called the street sweeper, and the BATF reclassified it after the fact into a class II destructive device requiring a FBI background check and a $200 tax stamp.

If you are mainly interested in target type shottys, find a local skeet ot trap range and hang about for a while. As for pistol grip only shotguns, they are almost worthless unless you are very well trained in their use and have the basics down with standard shotguns.

If you are anywhere near my neck of the woods, I shoot at Warsaw quite often, anything from SxS's to O/U's to pumps to autos.
Old February 7, 2006, 08:23 PM   #4
Doc TH

Shotgun choices

If you have an interest in target shooting you have a rich field to choose from - skeet, trap, sporting clays. All are very enjoyable. If that is the case, forgret a pistol grip stock and a drum magazine. Those are limited to "tactical" uses, to be very charitable with the use of the term, and have no place, and little use, in target shooting. Moreover, if you do have an interest in self- or home defense uses, a standard shotgun with an accessory 18" barrel (maybe with rifle sights) will provide all you need, despite the arguments made to the contrary.
A good quality pump or semiauto (e.g. Remington 870 Wingmaster, 1100 semiauto, or equivalent Beretta, Benelli or Browning) will last 50+ years and you can hand it over to your grandkids.