The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Harley Nolden Memorial Institute for Firearms Research

Old August 9, 2008, 11:42 PM   #1
jafriede

Montgomery Ward Hercules

I just inherited my Grandfather's Montgomery Ward 20 gauge "Hercules" shotgun. From what I have found on Google, it was made my either Iver Johnson or J Stevens. I would like to thoroughly clean it and touch up the bluing, but I can't figure out how to remove the barrel from the action. The pivot point appears to be more of a press fit than a roll pin. Here is a picture I found on the web of an assembly that looks nearly identical to mine for reference. I would appreciate any help.

**EDIT: After doing more research, I am almost positive it was made by Stevens and is equivalent to a Stevens model 94. Still have no idea how to remove the barrel.

Last edited by jafriede; August 10, 2008 at 07:36 AM. Reason: NEW INFORMATION
Old August 10, 2008, 08:36 AM   #2
SDC

Most single-shots break down the same way; pointing the shotgun in a safe direction, open it and make sure the shotgun is empty. Close the action back up, and then pull the front of the forearm down against spring pressure until you can pull the forearm off of the shotgun. Once the forearm is off, you just open the shotgun again with the thumb-latch, and with the forearm out of the way, the barrel will be able to pivot all the way off the receiver. Reassembly is just the reverse.
Old August 10, 2008, 08:38 AM   #3
Lavid2002

Almost positive, See the curved peice of metal where the forearm shoud be, it should notch into a block on the BBL, back it out of there. BBL should then slip right out.
Old August 10, 2008, 11:07 AM   #4
jafriede

Lavid2002, you are right about the curved piece fitting into a notch. It is very tight. Any idea how hard it will be to get back in?
Old August 10, 2008, 10:40 PM   #5
jafriede

Thanks for the help. I think I figured out the secret. If you gently pry between between the barrel and the rectangular piece of steel that has the curved "spring" on the end, it will go over center. Then you can lift the barrel right off. To put it back, you press on the steel bar until it snaps over center the opposite way and locks the barrel into place.
Old August 12, 2008, 02:42 PM   #6
George R

Hercules shotgun

Are you sure it isn't a H&R Topper? aka Hercules model 11?

Last edited by George R; August 12, 2008 at 04:19 PM. Reason: clarification
Old August 12, 2008, 10:08 PM   #7
jafriede

Wow, kind of does look like a Topper, but I still think it's a Stevens based on web pics I've looked at and the link below. I'm taking it to a gunsmith to be checked out tomorrow. I'll see what he thinks.

http://www.gabelguns.com/QuestionsAn...ionNumber=9309
Old August 13, 2008, 12:26 AM   #8
RJay

If it's a Hercules Grade then it's a Iver Johnson, If it's just a Hercules, then it should be a Stevens.
Old August 13, 2008, 04:06 AM   #9
Harley Nolden
Staff In Memoriam

I am not sure when these codes began, but if there is an EY following the model name it would by made by Iver Johnson. If there is an SB following the model name it was made by Savage. I could be all wet on this, please correct me if this is incorrect.

I find no code for Stevens, however, with the Savage Stevens name it could be either

HJN
Old August 18, 2008, 09:35 AM   #10
jafriede

Well, the gunsmith I took it to confirmed it's a Stevens 94. The barrel said "Proof Tested 20 Gauge" which he said is typical of Stevens. Thanks for the input guys.